Purposely forgotten and not

Saturn's Winter

Is there a deck that when one buys it doesn't like it for some reason? And after keeping it almost forgotten takes the deck out and start reading with it?

I guess what I am trying to say is that after buying a deck that later you find unattractive and put it away "for good" do you eventually go back to it like new?

a_shikhs

Well I bought the Witches Tarot a year ago but then suddenly didnt like it at all. I hardly used it and it spent 6 months in my cupboard just sitting and being ignored. I had totally forgotten about it and used all my other decks but this one.
Then suddenly one day while cleaning my drawer, I came across this deck and realised that i owned it. And when I did a reading with this deck, it was completely different and awesome and I felt as if I was rediscovering it all over again. I love it now but hardly use it.. ;)

SunChariot

Did that with my Thoth. I always loved the artwork, but I could never read with it. I'd just stare at the images and not get anything (I read intuitively). I tried to sell it more than once here on AT, but no dice. Finally I figured if the universe would not let me sell it that there was a reason and I was meant to have it.

Then suddenly, for no logical reason, last month I was doing a reading and I felt deeply inside that I must use my Thoth. Even though I had had it a year and a half and it had never worked for me. Still I knew that was the deck I needed. For some reason it worked wonderfully that day, and I love it now.

I think part of the original reason it didn't work was that when I got the deck I had made the mistake (for me anyway it was a mistake) of reading the books I got with it. The traditional meanings they gave for the cards we so "depressing" for me that I think that got under my skin and I couldn't work with it.

Afterwards (last month) when I did one of my normal intuitive readings with it, it worked perfectly for me. No more books or studying with that deck for me. I should have known better anyway, as I am an intiuitive reader and that's how I get my best readings anyway.

Babs

Alpha-Omega

SunChariot said:
Did that with my Thoth. I always loved the artwork, but I could never read with it. I'd just stare at the images and not get anything (I read intuitively). I tried to sell it more than once here on AT, but no dice. Finally I figured if the universe would not let me sell it that there was a reason and I was meant to have it.

Then suddenly, for no logical reason, last month I was doing a reading and I felt deeply inside that I must use my Thoth. Even though I had had it a year and a half and it had never worked for me. Still I knew that was the deck I needed. For some reason it worked wonderfully that day, and I love it now.

I think part of the original reason it didn't work was that when I got the deck I had made the mistake (for me anyway it was a mistake) of reading the books I got with it. The traditional meanings they gave for the cards we so "depressing" for me that I think that got under my skin and I couldn't work with it.

Afterwards (last month) when I did one of my normal intuitive readings with it, it worked perfectly for me. No more books or studying with that deck for me. I should have known better anyway, as I am an intiuitive reader and that's how I get my best readings anyway.

Babs

Yes me 2! I like the way the thoth looks but its very hard to read them, cause the minors dont have images of people and situations like RW or other decka, I guess its more for intuitve readings.

SunChariot

Alpha-Omega said:
Yes me 2! I like the way the thoth looks but its very hard to read them, cause the minors dont have images of people and situations like RW or other decka, I guess its more for intuitve readings.

Me 2! LOL That was one of the things I had trouble with too initially with the deck also. I did not find the pips "scenic" enough. And I do tend to read intuitively. So I always felt I needed lots of detail to analyse to get a deep answer.

But last month that deck really spoke to me for the first time. I did a reading on what something scared me. And that "Indolence" card came up. And I was so blown away. The mood in the card felt exactly the way I felt when I felt scared by that thing I did the reading on.

It was like "Wow, this card is the exact visual representation of my feelings on this issue!" And I could sense something unconscious there, some unconscious cause of my fear...I could just SEE it there in my image. Seeing it made me recognize it was there and just "feeling" it lead me to understand it more. Once I started to analyse the imagery , the answer came out for the first time ever and it was just magical!

Babs

Zephyros

From economical reasons, I'm pretty selective about the decks I buy, so that doesn't happen to me. I don't buy decks on the spur of the moment...

Rosanne

Yes I bought 'Karma Tarot' by BB Erfurt for my Tarot collection. I had visited the Danish community of Christiania and the aging hippie within me wanted it. I did not anticipate using it; concerns over my perceptions of the 8 Cups in other decks drew me to looking at it carefully and using it. The images are somewhat surreal in a modern circus kind of way. The minors are surprisingly alive. The Page of Cups is very evocative as well. ~Rosanne

Attachments

• Karma8Cups.jpg
    Karma8Cups.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 59

blackstormhawk

I have so many decks that they kind of cycle through every couple of months or so ... Robin Wood is the "old standby" and the deck I choose for most general readings. I currently mostly use the Tarot of the Northern Shadows, but might find the Medicine Woman Tarot or the Native American Tarot in my hands without warning ... I also have a number of Oracle Decks that come out to play at random.