Tarot in sex and the city

Lady Orchard

Just watched an old episode of sex and the city where Charlotte visits a tarot reader. The reader says that the ace of wands means "prosperity", and the 9 of cups "strength and independence".

these are not really interpretations I would associate with those cards and I am quite disappointed that the satc researchers didn't do a better job (as I love that programme!!)

or I am wrong, would you think of those words for those 2?

Marua

Hmmm...

Maybe they just used those particular meanings to match the events in the episode.

Apollonia

No, I don't see those meanings as being even close to any of the many meanings that could normally be assigned to them. I'd be disappointed if I had seen that epi, too--how hard is it to find a couple of cards that would have fit with the meanings they needed in the scene? It would maybe take what, ten minutes of a researcher's time? Good grief. How sloppy.

Dwaas

Sooo? Just for fun, what cards would have fitted better? :)

Lula Jing

Hehe - things like that bug me too - TV is like that sometimes. :rolleyes:

Personally, I think it should have been Ace of Pentacles (not wands) for prosperity and the 9 of Pentacles (not cups) for "strength & independence". The lady shown in the 9 of Pents always looks strong and independent to me - and it would fit with the prosperity side too.

Shy x

Umbrae

The deck was The Light and Shadow Tarot (Michael Goepferd and Brian Williams).

And no - the readers 'meanings' do not match Book Meanings - but hey...it's a TV show, the reader was an actress following a script - gotta have some level of 'suspension of disbelief'.

Like if you anything about the layout of San Francisco, the famous "Bullet" car chase is a real hoot.

...and sometimes in real reading situations, with real clients - what the cards mean - has nothing to do with what 'the book' says.

Guess the writers didn't think the Tarot Police would be watching.

tarotbear

:confused: Are you really expecting a realistic Tarot reading on a television show? :confused:

:) :) :) :) :) :)

inanna_tarot

lol tarot police..... I wonder what sort of uniform they'd have. Busting into fortune teller tents around the world asking for 'credentials'.

Hmmm havent seen the epi. No tv tarot moments beats the 3 death cards in Father Ted IMO.

Sezo
x

Lula Jing

LMAO at the Tarot Police... conjures up all sorts of images of whistle blowers and dawn raids at poor unsuspecting Zen shops... :laugh:

I didn't see the Father Ted epi... bet it was funny!! LOL

Considering the detail film makers often go to in other respects I would have thought a couple of Tarot cards not beyond even the most cynical of TV researchers... but then again it IS only TV!!

Shy x

WolfSpirit

inanna_tarot said:
Hmmm havent seen the epi. No tv tarot moments beats the 3 death cards in Father Ted IMO.

Oh, tarot in Father Ted ! I wish I had seen that !