surrender the lily...

BrightEye

i had the weirdest dream early this morning. it was part of a long night of very vivid dreams that all hung together. i can't write them all down here but in one episode i had a list of the major arcana in my hand and i started reading. there was a little caption with each of the cards, but i only read the Fool's and then woke up. it said 'surrender the lily pure and human'. i clearly had the morgan-greer image in my mind.

there's no lily in the Fool card, only a white rose, but i've been thinking about lilies in relation to the ace of pentacles over the last few days. i've also been thinking of the deck as a very 'human' one and didn't think it was as powerful as others becasue of that. i might be wrong!

i don't know if this is just dream waffle or if it is significant. i'm intersted to hear what others think.

BrightEye

well, i drew a card to ask what that dream message was all about and i got the 6 of cups, which is full of lilies! i'm not sure what's going on here, but it's getting a bit strange.

jmd

I'm slowly catching up reading on various threads, and your titling of this thread grabbed my attention, as it immediately brought to mind Goethe's Fairy Tale of the Green Snake and the Beautiful Lily.

The Lily is a strange plant, for it can be both highly toxic, yet also symbolise purity.

In terms of heraldry (if I recall my relatively limited heraldic history), it is often used to symbolise the French crown (now of course tumbled, but that some are continuously attempting to resurrect), in opposition to the English Rose.

In terms of emblem, it is also very closely connected to the bee, and hence the hive and industry (ie, work!).

BrightEye

jmd, thanks for that. i'd given up on this thread. must try and find that goethe story.

the dream actually had to do with work and a friend of mine at work. she was going to give a lecture on something and i'd really wanted to go but i couldn't because i would be away. i thought i need to tell her at least. write to her or something and apologize. (me not being able to be there has a personal meaning that's not immediately apparent in the dream.)

and then i had a piece of paper in my hand with a list of the major arcana. each had a message with it but i only got as far as the fool and then woke up. the message was about lilies 'surrender the lily pure and human'.

i've since learned that the arum lily is associated with aphrodite and has only later been replaced by the rose in terms of love imagery.

Abrac

BrightEye said:
'surrender the lily pure and human'.

Only a fool would advise you to surrender your humanity. ;)

BrightEye

Abrac said:
Only a fool would advise you to surrender your humanity. ;)
that's a good point. have to go away and think how it fits into my dream.

BrightEye

BrightEye said:
have to go away and think how it fits into my dream.
i think i've figured it out.