wow...some decks really are going through the roof!

shadowdancer

I was having a nose around Amazon.uk recently, and was amazed at how much the Merryday is offered for. When I last looked it was going for in the region of £92 (a lot of money!)

It now shows 2 available, from £132 !!

Thank goodness for the internet. I got my deck a while ago for $21 dollars which is one heck of a difference.

I do wonder if they have a hope of selling them at these prices. Surely the realise if someone is online and has the ability to look up book sellers, a simple search can show that this is drastically overpriced?

Anyone else come across similar with other decks?

Davina

Abrac

shadowdancer said:
Thank goodness for the internet.
Hi Davina

Yes, I too have noticed prices going up. Ironically, I believe the internet is partly responsible. The internet is a double-edged sword. While it is a valuable tool to educate yourself as to the the true value of something, it is creating an ever-increasing demand which drives prices up. But a lot of the ads I see online are nothing more than trickery designed to fleece the rubes. Some of them are pretty clever and fool even so-called sophisticated folk.

Abrac

Grizabella

Don't believe every price you see. The Merryday is still in print on the artist's website and goes for about $25. Quite often if people believe a deck is out of print (or maybe if they think they can make the buyer believe it) they'll jack the price way up ridiculously. I think sellers think a deck is out of print if Amazon quits carrying it and see a chance to make some big bucks so they offer decks at big prices when in reality, the deck is still in print. Whenever you see one of those, check around elsewhere on the net and see if it's really out of print or if you can still get it reasonably somewhere else.

ShaktiOm

I've noticed that type of thing with many items on amazon lately. I've also noticed that they often say "hurry, only two left in stock," but then they'll also say "more will be delivered soon," or something like that. I guess they're trying to create desperation among customers.

Bad_Calvin

Ebay, the modern day con. :)

A person new to Tarot is probablly buying them thinking that they are something special, when in fact they are not. They will probably be shocked to get a box of cards rather then some cloth rapped stack of cards straight from a gypsys closet.

Me personally, before I buy anything I "shop around" first. If these folks "shopped around" they would not be paying the insane prices.

Abrac

ShaktiOm said:
I've also noticed that they often say "hurry, only two left in stock," but then they'll also say "more will be delivered soon," or something like that.
Yeah, I am still waiting to see "20 in stock - new shipment just arrived!" lmao

Abrac

Shade

Caveat Emptor

Abrac

Shade I totally agree.

Ask plenty of questions, make sure there is a return option, and above all - if in doubt, dont (unless you happen to have the extra cash to gamble with.)