Wands and buds

lolita

Hi ya all.

I don't know if this has already been posted (did a quick search and couldn't find it), but have you noticed that on most of wand suit (ace, 2, 3, 5, 8, 9, 10) there are 3 buds on every wand.

Does this have any meaning?
Your thoughts, if you please.

Carpe diem
Tanja

Fulgour

First, it's good to remember that this is not a golden dawn deck,
and the symbolism created by Pamela Colman Smith is unique. :)

Wands in the golden dawn (aka Waite and Crowley) are dead,
but Pamela made her Wands of "Living Wood" that brings joy!

Let the splendour of her creative genius inspire you ~all by itself!
You might also take note how her Swords are often quite watery.

Dulcimer

Can't agree with Fulgour that the wands by Waite and Crowley are 'dead', but as usual he makes good points otherwise.

For me, the wands were drawn to represent the Will, the element of fire, and the letter yod in the Tetragrammaton. The Will is always in an initiative state; fire is always active; yod is the creative so-called masculine aspect of IHVH - the ejeculating phallus (sorry if you're eating). I'm guessing she drew the wands in a permanent state of springtime to illustrate all these factors. Notice where they are placed on each stave?
Just a personal view :).

Disa

That's an interesting perspective, Dulcimer, and one to contemplate. And here I thought the perpetual state of springtime was just representing growth and/or new life, which in effect, would be a culmination of your interpretation, Dulcimer. The number 3 also representing a product of two coming together to form 3, yes it relates very nicely. Thanks.