I am so proud of myself! only 50 decks to go...

shadowdancer

I have purchased loads of tarot pouches from a great lady in America but felt I was being lazy in some respects.

I had a nosey round having read recommendations here regarding sellers of pouches, spread cloths etc and was about to fork out a fortune on matching spread cloth, pouch and journal.

And then I thought....

have a go yourself. I purchased two different types of material yesterday from a shop selling cross stitch craft ware, and voila!!

my tarot set comprises of a cord lined spread cloth, matching tarot pouch, matching pendulum pouch and matching covered journal. This is in red and gold (sun/moon/stars)

My medicine card set comprises of the same but in a blue and gold abstract.

I have saved a fortune and they look great.

Now do I leave it at that... after all 50 decks is rather too many....lol

Tried to post piccies but I am not allowed to. :( If anyone wants a gander let me know your e mail address. I did the whole lot without a sewing machine!!! They are not as polished as the ones I have bought, but I am so pleased with them. I recommend anyone who is thinking of trying this, that they have a go. Sets like these won't be easy to buy but making my own felt good.

Davina

Davina

a_shikhs

Davina,
that sounds lovely. I would love to see pics. :) I too am very lazy at stitching and always tell my mum's mum to make my tarot bags. ;) But the feeling of making your own bags must be awesome.

Wow.. You actually made a matching journal covered journal and a pendulum pouch along with the tarot bag?? Now I have to see the pics.. :D

shadowdancer

yep.. a 4 part set :D pendulum pouch is a lot smaller obviously but all the same matching material.

What made me try was the fact the covered journal I saw for sale on the internet in America cost $10 !! I bought 3 of the actual journal type books for £1 - big difference.

Cost wise it has worked out quite well. The materials (cord / fabric) was £7.50 to make each set. I think if you visited a local market the cost would be a lot less - going to a craft shop would always be more expensive but they had the designs I wanted.

Davina

a_shikhs

I agree with you. It turns out a lot cheaper if you buy the materials at a local market than buying a bag from a shop. And plus, by making the bag yourself, you add your own personal touch to it and it feels more personal. :D

You can even personalise your bags by stitching a theme of the deck on your bag. eg: For mermaids tarot, you can stitch a small mermaid on the bag. Or you can stitch your bag with colors that match the deck. I love doing this. :)

Zephyros

shadowdancer, you can host the pictures at photobucket and then post the URLs here... I'd love to see them bags:)

Bat Chicken

I'd love to see those photos too....

tabbycat

Just curious - where's the shop? (tabbycat wondering if there's a shop selling fabric in the area she doesn't know about!) Please p-m me and we can share info! Also, I'd be willing to post your photos - you could e-mail them to me.
Hail, fellow bag-maker!
Jilly

tabbycat

shadowdancer has sent me her photos, so here they are. Had to take the size down a little to meet posting requirements, so I hope they come out okay!

Attachments

• bluetarotset.jpg
    bluetarotset.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 58
  • redtarotset.jpg
    redtarotset.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 61

Sulis

Lovely :) Well done you :)

Good choice of fabric too ;) - I do a bag myself from the red fabric, I think I call it 'red celestial stars' and it's one of my favorites.

I have a bag made out of that stuff myself, it houses my favorite deck, The Heron Conver Marseilles :)

It reminds me of the curtains around Harrys bed in the Harry Pottr films :)

Bat Chicken

Really nice!!!
I have made bags, but not a spread cloth - I am inspired to give it a try.....! :)