Question about used decks.

Edge

Hello everyone, I'm considering purchasing two "used" decks and was wondering what kind of experiences others have had with this? Meaning if you have purchased a used deck how was it regarding readings. How does/did it compare with "new" decks. Curious about what kind of impressions others have had? Also anyone use any particular cleansing rituals?

Dwaas

I like used decks. Or better: previous loved decks. Sometimes they come like hardly used. No difference with new decks. And sometimes they were really loved and used before. No more worries about scratches as they are already there. I never use cleansing rituals. But once I had to make a used deck smell better. So I used some incense and perfumed oil on a cloth. All my decks read fine, if not I trade them away. That only depends on clicking with a deck or not, it has nothing to do with being used before or not.
Blessings

Lillie

I've got loads of secondhand tarot decks.

no problems.

Mostly they arebetter than new ones.
Either theyare cheaper, or they are there.
One or the other.

Only once did I have a bad experience with a deck off ebay.

1JJ Swiss deck. The Empress card had a big crease across it.
But I only paid a quid. It wasn't worth making a fuss.

Such is life.

Little Baron

Interestingly, I had a copy of the Fantastical.

Even though I didn't use it much at all, the first day I got it, the weather was not great and I tucked myself up in my room with a note pad and pathworked through the swords suit. I loved the characters I met there and spoke with and still remember them fondly. Excellent experience. And that day, I met an old but close friend. I remember that deck fondly. Last week, I traded it to Lillie. Just wondering Lillie, can you feel that the deck was once special to someone else?? Strange question but I wonder if you can sometimes pick up whether a deck was loved and picked something up from a previous owner or whether if is cold and has had a not particularly good past.

LB

Edge

Hey thanks for the feedback everyone. I have my eye on a pretty good deal regarding the two decks. Actually one will be a gift to my wife and the other just a back up. :) Thanks for your comments.

Grizabella

Almost all my decks were once owned by someone else and I don't mind at all. They're really no different than ones I've gotten new. I don't "cleanse" them in any way. I just start right in using them. :) I enjoy all my decks.

Sulis

I love used decks too.

Sometimes when you get a used deck the lamination will be a little different to the more modern one.

When I bought my Hanson Roberts deck I was really disappointed because it was so shiny and slick (I like a nice semi-matte or matte finish) and it also had the copyright mark of US Games in the card borders (don't like that).
I looked around for an older version and eventually got one from ebay. It was barely used but much nicer than the new one - semi-matte finish so the cards felt lovely and no copyright mark. I gave the new Hanson-Roberts to my daughter as her first deck and she loves it.

One of my favorite decks is an old and well used Rider Waite Smith deck from the early 1970s. It came with no little white book and a couple of the cards had marks on the backs but it's gogeous. The cards feel almost like fabric and shuffle like a dream.

I think I'd choose a used deck over a brand new one every time.

fairyhedgehog

Some decks are only available used. I've managed to get an OOP Tarot for Cats from ebay. I always check the sellers reputation (recent comments as well as how many positives) and bought from a nice seller. It was advertised as 'gently used, almost mint' but one card was torn :eek: I never have torn cards! Luckily, the seller is a wonderful lady and has instantly replaced the card for me with one from her own deck. And the card fits in just perfectly and it doesn't matter at all to me that the deck was pre owned.

Also, I had a Moon Garden tarot from someone here, in used condition but no tears no creases, and I loved it until it was time for it to move on.

I think I'm saying that the only drawback with used cards is if they are scruffier than I would let my cards become. And usually they aren't!

Edge

Once again, thanks for all the comments. I get the feeling I could end up with a collection of "used" decks very soon. :)

Lillie

LittleBuddha said:
Interestingly, I had a copy of the Fantastical.

Even though I didn't use it much at all, the first day I got it, the weather was not great and I tucked myself up in my room with a note pad and pathworked through the swords suit. I loved the characters I met there and spoke with and still remember them fondly. Excellent experience. And that day, I met an old but close friend. I remember that deck fondly. Last week, I traded it to Lillie. Just wondering Lillie, can you feel that the deck was once special to someone else?? Strange question but I wonder if you can sometimes pick up whether a deck was loved and picked something up from a previous owner or whether if is cold and has had a not particularly good past.

LB

It's got a very nice feel to it.

Most used decks have no feel to them at all.
But most don't seem to have been 'used' at all!

Then sometimes I get one that has a sort of 'warm and loved' feel to it.

I have never had a bad feeling.

Either they have been used a lot and therefore loved, or hardly used at all.

Maybe one day I get a spooky one, but it hasn't happened yet!