Valerium

ravenest

Does anyone have interesting experiences with valerium (sic?) herb?

We did a ritual with it once and the effects absolutly blew me away but the other two people involved seemed impervious to anything that happened.
(I just need a reality check!)

Sophie

Do you mean valerian? The one they put in sleeping preparations? I wouldn't dare use it in incense, I'd be afraid to nod off :D

I have experienced it as very calming (very) tea.

How come it blew you away? Does it also have hallucinogenic properties? (interesting!)

ravenest

Helvetica said:
Do you mean valerian? The one they put in sleeping preparations? I wouldn't dare use it in incense, I'd be afraid to nod off :D

It was quiet a while ago so the name is vague, I Googled valerian, there seem to be a lot of different types, but most of the pics that came up resemble the plant here. It has a lilac / purple flower, and grows everywhere, roadside, paddocks, untidy lawns. So Í assumed it had little value, but apparently it does.

Helvetica said:
How come it blew you away? Does it also have hallucinogenic properties? (interesting!)

I'm very sus' on stories like this, being anal-yitical ... but, oh well, here goes.

My partner was really into herbs (and Wicca and a lot of other stuff) and she wanted to do this ritual harvest and preperation of Valerian, a friend, Priestess of local Wiccan coven took part as well. It involved, finding the right astrological time, cutting it with a silver knife and all sorts of stuff to do with the extraction. Later that night we were all sleeping in front of the fire on the floor of my cabin and something woke me up.
In the middle of the room, above the floor there was a green glowing anthropomorphic shape (vague trunk and arms and legs, neck shape but no distinct head). I had time to check it out, and make sure it was there, give my eyes time to adjust, pinch myself, no I'm not dreaming.
I tried to wake up the girls but they just got annoyed at me, that was really strange as they seemed dopey and sleepy and didnt WANT to wake up, normally a paranormal experience would have really interested them. I was saying; "Look, Look over there in the room, just have a look." The shape was still there and by now I was convinced I was really seeing something. I guess as my shock started to wear off my magical training started to emerge and I asked the shape;"What is your name." It responded with a word (in my head ) like valerian (I had already forgot what the herb was called). Then it gradually started to dissapate.

In the morning when I told them, one said,"Why didnt you wake us, up?"The other remembers being woken up but thought I wanted sex (?!) and got annoyed with me. When I told them the story and asked if they knew what the name was they said that was the herb we were working with yesterday. My partner looked it up in a book and she told me it said if you do magical work with this plant and give it energy it can take on a form. Whatever that means, perhaps it means it will strengthen the material aspect of the Deva?

Anyway it was a pretty rare amazing experience (for me) and I was really annoyed that the others wouldn't wake up to see it, nor did they want to repeat the experiment.

So I was wondering if anyone else has had an experience with this herb, or read anything similar about it.

sharpchick

If it's valerian, likely what was used in the incense was the ground root. I've attached a picture below and just posted a thread on my cats' reaction to me unpacking mine today. . .

As Helvetica said, it has sedative qualities and has been used for a very long time for that purpose. Some people say it increases psychic ability and people use a tincture or tea (take internally) prior to scrying. It's also know as St. George's herb, or vandal root.

Attachments

• valerian.jpg
    valerian.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 101

ravenest

Yeah it looks like that but a bit longer and drawn out ie. elongated flowers and not so cluster like. I should do some more experiments with it and see what effects it has on my psychic ability. It grows all over the place here.

Lillie

It's also the basis of valium.

Anyhow, all I have had of valerian is some capsules from a health food shop.

We were both having trouble sleeping, so, we got them and took a couple each. (as stated on the container)
They were big and stinky and horrible.

Anyhow, I did sleep some, though not too good. but the next morning I got up and walked straight into the damn door. I was walking into things for ages.
really out of it.

And this is weird, considering other things I have taken, I have taken loads more than that of valium and that just wears off after the specified time.

ever tried that stuff that's still legal here in the UK.
Salvia divinorum (or something like)?

It's pricey, but we got some, to try.
So, we made a pipe out of a tube and smoked it.
It works, that stuff is pretty weird.
It seemed that it only lasted for a short time (which is why we never got more, not really worth it) but for days, even weeks after it was like it kept being there still, just a little bit a the corners of my mind. Like nothing was real.
Weird stuff.

anitarae

Lillie said:
It's also the basis of valium.

Anyhow, all I have had of valerian is some capsules from a health food shop.

We were both having trouble sleeping, so, we got them and took a couple each. (as stated on the container)
They were big and stinky and horrible.

Anyhow, I did sleep some, though not too good. but the next morning I got up and walked straight into the damn door. I was walking into things for ages.
really out of it.

And this is weird, considering other things I have taken, I have taken loads more than that of valium and that just wears off after the specified time.

ever tried that stuff that's still legal here in the UK.
Salvia divinorum (or something like)?

It's pricey, but we got some, to try.
So, we made a pipe out of a tube and smoked it.
It works, that stuff is pretty weird.
It seemed that it only lasted for a short time (which is why we never got more, not really worth it) but for days, even weeks after it was like it kept being there still, just a little bit a the corners of my mind. Like nothing was real.
Weird stuff.

I used to take valerian to help me sleep. Yes, the capsuels were were big and stinky, however I was suffering and I got past the smell. (Hot flashes, insomnia, worry, worry, worry.) When it kicked it I had wonderful great movie dreams. I suggested it to a friend who also was having trouble sleeping and she was awake half the night. Different effects on different folks. All natural. :)