More than Just the Tarot?

Yavaphun

New to the board here…

This might be in the wrong area. However it is a question that I have.

Let me give you some background. I used to read all the time for people. I found my deck (thoth) or the Crowley, first thing I did was throw away the rules or description of the cards. I read 100% by intuitive feel of them. I have no formal school or knowledge of the Tarot. As of late (last 8 years) I only read for a few select people in their setting not mine. If they request I read for someone I will but again only in thier setting. I never use any normal spread just one that feels right.

To my question: Anyone out there uses any props or other things besides the Tarot, to aid in the reading? When I read I open up (best words to describe it, curse the English language) I have noticed that bowl of water to the side helps a bit. Always one candle or more is also cool helps the feel. Or commands more focus from me and the person I m reading for.

Eye contact with the person I m reading for? I s that normal I always try to capture something there.

Physical contact. Like shaking hands a pat on the back some sort of contact to get some feel of them. Something tangible.

My readings have gotten very long (1 hour at least) to my dismay sometimes I get requested to many times. However for those I enjoy I do not mind.

Anyone else use any of these or something else to aid in?

MoonLitCrystal

I am actually quite the opposite. When I read face to face I get very nervous and don't do as well. This could be because I am fairly new, and when I am face to face I feel rushed to figure out what the cards mean to me in that particular spread. Also, a big part of it is that I simply do all of my communicating better when it's written. :)

Yavaphun

wow I have never read for someone not around. I need them with me....

How do you get a feel for the person?

Lain_82

I share the same problem with MoonLitCrystal, It's hard for me to read in front of people because I get scared thinking that I will screw up, and "what if the answer is wrong" and sometimes my mind just goes blank, as if I was looking at the cards for the first time in my life. I've been told it's just a matter of practice (I hope so) but it's hard to sit in front of someone and try to meet his expectations and not be a fraud.

About your question "How do you get a feel for the person?" well... If I know them I would visualize their eye color or some outfit they like or just remember how I feel around them, and If I've never met them (like a reading online) I try to gather some info, like where are they from or some hobby.

Hopefully one day I'll feel as comfortable as you do reading in front of people, that's my goal.

a_shikhs

Well at the beginning of a reading, I do tend to get a little nervous but then everything goes great and I feel as if I am in a trance while reading for the person.

I usually burn a candle, keep incense or a good smelling aroma oil and a few crystals around me while reading as I tend to get very drained after a reading. Making eye contact with the querent helps in understanding the querent as eyes can speak a lot.

Edge

Yavaphun said:
I have no formal school or knowledge of the Tarot.
This could be considered a good thing. :) Academic training while admirable is nothing more than a mechanical process. True knowledge can only be gained from real experience and it sounds like you definitely have some of that. Regarding the use of "props" I believe this is a matter of individual choice and varies greatly from person to person. The best prop for me is a calm, clean, peaceful atmosphere. Sometimes candles may be used to help set a mood, but honestly I really have no ritual other than a specific routine in shuffling. Oh and welcome to AT.

Umbrae

Yavaphun said:

Reading for folks over the internet of via telephone is indeed different. How to get a feel?

For some of us, there is simply a trust in the Tarot, and the cards are simply read.

For others of us, we sort of ‘plug in’, since physical space is transcended by the spiritual – we just reach out and plug in…that’s the best I can describe it (or what I personally do).

Face-to-face…I eschew distractions. I use fire (candles) when I’m reading alone, or out in my sacred area – but not when I’m reading away from home. Fire and water are hazards to my cards, especially when pets, children, and adults may be involved.

But I know many readers who have bits of stones around.

Not everyone likes to be touched. Folks tend to shy away from my touch – so I don’t go there (I suppose I’m kinda scary)...

Fulgour

Yavaphun said:
Starting with the Question, and working from there.
It's as different as can be every time! :) It's Tarot!

SunChariot

Yavaphun said:
New to the board here…

This might be in the wrong area. However it is a question that I have.

Let me give you some background. I used to read all the time for people. I found my deck (thoth) or the Crowley, first thing I did was throw away the rules or description of the cards. I read 100% by intuitive feel of them. I have no formal school or knowledge of the Tarot. As of late (last 8 years) I only read for a few select people in their setting not mine. If they request I read for someone I will but again only in thier setting. I never use any normal spread just one that feels right.

To my question: Anyone out there uses any props or other things besides the Tarot, to aid in the reading? When I read I open up (best words to describe it, curse the English language) I have noticed that bowl of water to the side helps a bit. Always one candle or more is also cool helps the feel. Or commands more focus from me and the person I m reading for.

Eye contact with the person I m reading for? I s that normal I always try to capture something there.

Physical contact. Like shaking hands a pat on the back some sort of contact to get some feel of them. Something tangible.

My readings have gotten very long (1 hour at least) to my dismay sometimes I get requested to many times. However for those I enjoy I do not mind.

Anyone else use any of these or something else to aid in?

Well I never read for others in person. It really is not for me. When I read for others I do it alone and type it up (with the card's images included in) and either e-mail it of hand it to the querent in person. My readings get longer than that! LOL The last one I did, just finished it early this morning--I started it on July 20th!

But I totally agree about the candle thing. Helps get me relaxed enough and in the proper mood. My candle helps me a lot. I use scented candles and I do tend to gaze at the flame for a few moments and get lost in it before starting (meditation technique that I learnt somewhere :grin:) It's calming and I need to be in that completely calm attitude to read well.

I keep a few other things near my candle that have sentimental meaning to me: a stone from the beach in the country, a blank rune, a wish pyramid (where you write your wish on a piece of paper, fold it an put it inside, take it out and read it 3x a day for 7 of 21 days, then burn the paper, knowing your wish is on the way to becoming reality), a small little doll that was first my Mom's then mine, and a compass (to help me find my way and make sure I always stay on the right path :grin:)

Babs

SunChariot

Yavaphun said:

I only read for others alone in the privacy of my home. I won't read for the querent in person. Many of these people ( as in reading exchanges here at AT) are people I have never met and know nothing about). And my readings are pretty accurate.

My idea on that is you don't need to "get a feel for" the person. To me, the answers to any questions asked are out there in the universe. Whether we are accessing our collective unsconscious that is connected to the unconsiouses of everyone else alive, or whether it is G-d....I don't know that anyone can know for sure how Tarot works. Tarot does has that sense of mystery to it. But the point is when someone asks a question, the answer IS out there in the universe and you can access it and tune into that answer.

Babs