Russell Grant Deck

Minderwiz

I know this is going to destroy any credibility that I have built up but a few years ago before I really to a serious interest in Tarot, my wife bought me a deck by the UK 'TV Personality' and newspater astrologer, Russell Grant.

The deck is very non standard (one might say unique) It comprises:

The 22 Major Arcana cards
The Four Aces, Wands, Cups, Swords and pentacles
12 Cards for the Chinese Animal Signs
9 Cards for the Sun and planets (excepting the Moon)
2 Moon cards - Full and New
12 Cards for the Zodiac signs
3 Cards for Ascendant, Midheaven and Moon's Nodes

After playing with it for a bit I put it away and didn't bother again. Now as I'm beginning to learn Tarot and about various decks I am beginning to wonder if anyone else came across this deck. I can't find any book or notes to go with it, so if I tried to use it, it would be in a very improvised way.

Any thoughts?

Minderwiz

Lee

Hi Minderwiz, even though this deck has "Tarot" in its title, it's so very non-standard that I feel compelled to move it to the Divination section.

I have this deck and I like it, although I do find the Tarot, Western astrology, and Eastern astrology elements don't really synthesize. It makes it a little difficult when you end up with 2 Moon cards and 2 World cards. How do you differentiate them? I like the artwork. The Death card is great.

At least here in the U.S., the deck is sold with a book. Could you have bought it without a book, or did you have the book at some point? If you really want to work with this deck you may have to buy the set again so you can have the book.

Have you seen this review?

-- Lee

Minderwiz

No problem about the move - I fully agree it is a very non-standard deck.

Can't remember at all about a book with it - its several years ago when I received it. I'll follow up the link as well

Minderwiz

Emily

Hi Minderwiz,

I picked this deck up from a jumble sale a while back, it does have a comprehensive book with it, I never really liked Russell Grant but I do like the artwork of this deck, which is surprising because I don't usually go for this kind of deck, very flambouyant and bright.
The book also gives a specific horoscope spread, its well worth tracking down because I'd never be able to use the whole deck without the book, the Majors and Aces are fairly traditional but its when the deck goes into the sun sign cards, chinese horoscope and the planets/astrological cards that things get really complicated.
Maybe you could try his official website or ebay - it is a nice deck to work with but very unconventional. :)

Minderwiz

Emily,

Thanks for the info - I'll try a house search first and see if it got put somewhere! If I can't find it I'll follow up your advice.

I feel the same about the artwork I didn't think much of it to start with but it has grown on me quite a bit. I also tended not to take Russell Grant all that seriously, though there are times when something of substance does show through and it might be really interesting to talk to him in a situation where he can ditch the flambouyance and just deal with questions or issues.

Minderwiz

Jenny-Li

This deck is definitely on my list, although as it is so very non-tarot, it's not on the top of it. I do love the images though, it's the kind of pictures that just make you smile because the colours and the spirit of the cards gets your energy up!

BUT!
Since it is such a non-traditional deck, why don't you try and just do what you said yourself, improvise it! You can't go wrong, if there aren't any rules you know...!

Jenny :)

Emily

I wasn't really interested in Chinese horoscopes until I came across this deck, then I found I was a snake lol, and then a wood snake - I find I have more in common with my Chinese sign than my western sign of Leo :)

If you couldn't find the book to go with it, for the Chinese cards he does use traditional meanings - a good book of Chinese horoscopes would give you a start, he also does the same for the sun signs. :)
I'll have a look and see what kind of system he uses for the planet/astrological cards.

truthsayer

this is really an attractive deck but i've not seen any purchase info. is it in print?

Minderwiz

I tried hunting on Amazon for the book but found that the deck (and book?) are out of print - I tried Amazon UK not sure about the other sites.

Minderwiz

Lee

Wow, this does seem to be out of print. I've seen it in bookstores not that long ago. The only thing I found is this used copy, but I wonder if it's only the book, I'd suggest asking the seller before purchasing. Russell Grant's website used to have information about the deck but it doesn't any longer.

I'll bet some copies are still on bookstores shelves, the only problem is finding them. Perhaps Jeannette at Tarot Garden could help...

-- Lee

Edited to add -- the actual name of this deck/book set is "Russell Grant's Astro-Tarot Pack."