Elderberries

Heckta

I am having a hard time finding fresh Elderberries, not dried. I've check in my local fruit markets and I know this is the season for them; from now until the end of August. I've try researching online for purchase. Was wondering if anyone knows where I could purchase fresh Elderberries, may be I just looking in the wrong place? The purpose is for making a receipe I own for Elderberry wine.

If anyone knows of a wholesaler or retailer that might sell Elderberries or any other ideas I would be happy to hear! I have one last place I can check that might guide me but, I am running out of places.

ravenest

Sorry, cant help, but I have Elderberry bushes, they flower (small clusters of white flowers) but I have never had a berry ??? Apparently you can make 'champagne' out of the fermented flowers?

Briar Rose

Have you tried typing elderberries new york on the net? 2 web sites came up when I did it.

It should be easy.

http://gurneys.com/search.asp?ss=elderberries

or just type in gurneys.com
call them and ask them if they sell the berries on the plants, or just the plants
and sometimes a whole foods (natural foods grocery store) will sell them

Heckta

HeavensVault said:
Have you tried typing elderberries new york on the net? 2 web sites came up when I did it.

It should be easy.

http://gurneys.com/search.asp?ss=elderberries

or just type in gurneys.com
call them and ask them if they sell the berries on the plants, or just the plants
and sometimes a whole foods (natural foods grocery store) will sell them

hey ty HeavensVault, strange I didn't get that the 1st time I googled. I must have overlooked that site earlier.
I think I will also try that local restaurant near me 1st to see where they get there berries from, could be even closer. If not I'll try gurney's, ty again.

Emily

ravenest said:
Sorry, cant help, but I have Elderberry bushes, they flower (small clusters of white flowers) but I have never had a berry ??? Apparently you can make 'champagne' out of the fermented flowers?

Not sure about champagne but my Dad used to make a lovely but very strong wine out of elderflowers. We're lucky here in the UK Elderberry trees grow wild along the canals and wooded areas - all you have to do is look for them. :)

Sherringham

I have an elderberry tree in my garden, we make the champagne every year, don't need too many of the flowerheads. We also have wine on the go from the berries last year, and birds permitting shall make more in Sept, The berries are formed now(S.E UK) but not coloured up yet
But apart from a beer brewing shop here no one seems to sell the fruit fresh at all. But a tip if you do find some, add a pound of dessert blackberries to the fruit, tastes heavenly in the wine

Heckta

Your so lucky, the both of you have elderberries so available! If I could grow them myself I would. Interesting that champange can be made from them as well. But, that makes sense since champange and wine are similar. Here is a wine recipe I am following; below.

7lbs elderberries, stripped and stalked
3 gallons boiling water
6 cloves
3lbs loaf sugar
1 lb seedless raisins
1/2 oz ground ginger
1/2 oz yeast

Though I am cutting down on the measurements I don't need that many elderberries. But I think I will make an exception for adding blackberries - yum! That really sounds like a nice addition. Thanks for the suggestion :)

Sherringham

It makes for a fuller deeper rounder taste, but do keep the wine for as long as you can, ours is still in demijohns, bottling up soon, and shall keep for another year at least.......we hope