How much time per day

RubyRuby

For the seasoned and the newbies to tarot, how much time per day do you spend with your cards or learning, including your time here.

I'm a newbie. I spend probably an hour here a day off and on. I probably spend another hour per day on the internet gathering information. Right now, I have a couple of books that I'm reading through, so that's probably another hour per day. And probably an hour a day with my cards, reading and studying.

Just curious how others spend their time.

Grizabella

Well, I'm a grandmother raising grandkids and I don't work outside the home, but the kids are now teen and preteen, so they're more self-sufficient, which gives me more time. I spend lots and lots of time with tarot and AT.

I get up and first thing, while I have my coffee, I spend an hour or so online at AT. Then I watch news on TV unless it's overpowering, but while I do that, I shuffle and do some tarot spreads.

And then, off and on all day, I read some of my tarot books when I have free moments, check back with AT now and then and do readings or reaquaint myself with some of my less-used decks. AT is also my last check-in before I go to bed.

Gosh, can you say "obsessive"? LOL

And that doesn't even count the readings I do for other people, either.

Demeter

Lyric your so dedicated! I don't dedicate enough time with the cards and tarot studies - probally why after 8 years i've only developed skills with 2 decks. Ruby I can go for months without picking up the cards or reading a book. At the moment i'm spending about 1 hour a day on the internet and then another 1 with either the cards or books (trying to use the voyager deck). Unfornately i read when i'm in bed - which i know alot out there will say is not good, but somedays its the only time i have spare.

when i bought my first deck i took it everywhere - even studied the cards on the train to and from work. sometimes your mind and soul craves so much information that no matter how much time you spend it won't be enough.

niteskye

Wow! You guys are dedicated!

I'm a newbie and I would generally spend about an hour a day on here (spread over different parts of the day) and about an hour with my cards. Like Demeter, I also often end up reading in bed, as I often find that is the only time I get! As a single parent, it can get quite mad trying to cram everything into your day!!

Annabelle

Oh my.

Six months ago I'd have said that I spend every available minute both logged on to AT and handling a tarot deck - any tarot deck, just so long as I could hold it, shuffle it, gaze lovingly at it.

But now . . . well, I no longer have a job I hate (and that left me with tons of free time), and for the first time in years I actually have something MEANINGFUL to do with my daytime hours. In other words, I'm too darned busy these days to spend as much time on tarot. I still log into AT whenever I can . . . but I'm probably only averaging 30 minutes to an hour a day on tarot-related activities.

VGimlet

It depends. Lately I spend probably 15 or 20 minutes here, and about 20 minutes with my cards every day . I've just come back from a tarot break, so I want to use my cards often to get back up to speed. Normally I don't read every day, or come here every day. More like every few days.

When I first found Aeclectic it was common for me to spend an hour or more here every day - I was so thrilled to find people who were into tarot.

When I was doing my big deck studies, it was usual for me to spend up to an hour every day working on tarot stuff. But I had to make the time, and sometimes it wasn't easy.

Lion-O

RubyRuby said:
For the seasoned and the newbies to tarot, how much time per day do you spend with your cards or learning, including your time here.
It varies heavily and extremely. Up untill 2 weeks ago I haven't touched either of my decks for at least half if not 3/4 -year. Before that I had done some very basic and common readings for myself but as to spend time...

When I feel like doing a reading, recently done once a week, I really take my time for it. A reading (celtic cross) which I usually do for myself takes up approximatly one to one and a half hours. I like to really take the time to study the reading and find the meaning with each individual card as well as the relationship between them. While the cards read relatively easy for me the relationship proofs to be a little more difficult but I'm getting there.

Time spend here.. Also varies. Can't really answer since I've been away for quite a while :)

Julien

Totally depends upon the rest of my life... But I think I probably spend 45 minutes to an hour with a deck every day (maybe longer) and I usually journal what I'm reading in the cards -- it tends to be my down time at the end of the day before my bath and novel time. Whether I get on-line or not depends upon (a) whether I want to procrastinate -- for example, I ought to packing boxes right now, and here I sit :); and (b) whether my job is interfering with everything else (which it does from time to time). Most days I visit AT at least once, whether I post or not.

But that said, recently my best friend was helping me get ready for a trip. She walked over to the shelf where I keep my tarot decks and said, "Which one?" I looked up in surprise, and she smiled and said, "Well, for you to relax, you need a tarot deck, a journal, and a good novel." She forgot the bubble bath and bottle of wine, but hey, she was awfully close. ;)

Julien

RubyRuby

Thanks for the replies. I find it really interesting to see how people spend their tarot time. Lyric, I'm in awe of your dedication.

Where I'm just starting out, I'm finding I just can't get enough of it. I was on vacation last week, and I'm sure my husband thought I was going to turn into a tarot card. :)

Emily

I spend around an hour on here a day, not all at one time though because now my son is on holiday I have to fit my AT time in. :)

Also it depends how long it takes me to work through the forums and sometimes I do more reading than posting.

I try to spend time with my cards everyday, I do dailies of one or two cards but that might only take 10 mins (with the writing of the Journal) and I'm also trying to work through a few tarot books too - I could do with a few more hours in the day. :D