Just a few questions

rupt

first off..can anybody read tarot?? not like on this site i mean, can anybody with an interest in it read it? and also do you have to be clairvoyant for it? do you know if you can train yourself to be clairvoyant??

im interested in reading...and a psychic i went to a few days ago used regular playing cards..adn only used 32....it was like...13, 5, 5, 5, 4...does anybody know that spread cuz it was very good and i liked it.....and also does anyone know where i could find a website with good explanation of card meanings cuz everyone i look at has a different meaning for different cards...so which would you recommend??

sorry so sloppy, im just in a rush and thanks for your answers :)

zach bender

anyone

A good site for card meanings is learntarot.com.

As for your first question, I have found tarot reading to be a useful contemplative exercise, though I have zero connection to any nonrational realities that may be out there, religion, occult, clairvoyance, none of that. In reading the cards, obviously, it is useful to treat the experience as though you are connecting with an energy of which you are otherwise mostly unaware . . . but I do not think belief or nonbelief is really a factor.

zb

Little Baron

The site mentioned is a good starting point .. but it does depend on what deck you are using. If you use a Rider Waite or one of it's clones, then it would be appropriate, but if you use a Thoth or a Marseille, there may be other places that would suit better.

You can learn. Anyone can learn. And everyone learns differently. Be confident, because as well as learning what the cards have meant to others before you in history, it is also important to develop layers that are personal to only you - that is what makes you a reader and not just a tarot historian. So take some time to jot down your first impressions before in depth study. Many that have been doing this for a long while look back to the position you are at as one they would love to return to. This is a time to play and enjoy the cards. One can gain some very beautiful, spot on and intuitive readings before they fill their heads with the whys and hows of tarot history, tradition and the many authors commentaries.

Best of luck, we're all here, so keep asking questions if you feel a need to,

LB

rupt

sweet now all i need to know is if using playing cards is a good form of card reading and if anybody knbows the spread she used...thanksss for the answer so far

zach bender

playing card

obviously playing cards can be used for "divination" or whatever you want to call this exercise. as can dice, yarrow sticks, etc. the tarot developed from gaming decks. not myself aware where you can find info on specific strategies or conventions for using playing cards, but the internet is a big place. would note that a 52-card deck does not have the majors or knights, so the translation from tarot would be indirect. also, of course, the imagery of (most) tarot decks would be absent.

zb

Little Baron

I don't know the spread you mean, but ..

Playing Cards are quite different to Tarot. I don't think you can read the Tarot through playing cards. But you can read them in their own right ...

I know a very good site for learning how to read playing cards, if you are interested ..

What are you actually wanting to learn? Playing cards or Tarot? Which deck of cards do you have?

Best, LB

rupt

yeahh i wanna read playing cards....i just have a regular 52-card deck...if you could give me that site you have..it'd be much appreciated

Alissa

rupt, what you may not realize is to read playing cards, one often borrows from Tarot technique. If anything, some can find it "harder" to read playing cards than standard Tarot cards, because of the relative lack of illustrations. As a beginner, if you have no theory to back you up, you may feel completely washed under and confused beyond all measure.

Build your own Tarot skills first - that will take most readers about 1-5 years to do, to BEGIN with. You can do that by either: memorizing everything everyone whose ever written about Tarot has to say, OR you can begin to talk to your cards, see the pictures, and form your own meanings. If you do both at once, in the beginning, you will most likely confuse the hell out of yourself.

You don't have to be intuitive or psychic to read Tarot. It's just a different "style" of reading. Some folks here are self-proclaimed psychics (such as myself) and others are self-professed non-psychic readers. There's room for all techniques.

Little Baron

The site is http://www.hedgewytchery.com/cartomancy.html

At the bottom, the second lesson is in the contents - 'witch of middling memory'. The lessons provide a good starting point and also give some explanations and meanings of individual card. What is good about these lessons is that you don't need to memorise much. It is all about suit, colour and number so you can literally start reading with the method suggested and a little practice.

Good luck and let us know how you get on,
LB

rupt

thanks a lot everyone....keep your suggestions comin and ill be floating around the boards...tahnks LB for the site