PDA

View Full Version : Ideas on Dill

MCsea
06-08-2006, 17:46
HI everyone,

thank you for reading my question :)

I have grown quite a bit of Dill, I love the look of it, but I feel its time to harvest, and was wondering what can I DO with it - and how do I DO it, has anyone had any experience with Dill? I was thinking dried for cooking use, or even making an oil? any hints would be appreciated

THANKS

MARINA

sharpchick
06-08-2006, 23:28
Dill and dill sauce are really delicious with fish.

Magically, dill can be used in spellwork for money, love and lust, and has been thought to protect children.

MCsea
06-08-2006, 23:37
HI sharpchick
WOW money AND protection of children!
Im glad I grew some, I just love it with fish, but I have lots growing I cant see me 'eating' it all...

thank you for your post!

MARINA

skygreen
07-08-2006, 05:30
Dill is a great herbal emotional tonic and uplifter. A whiff of it willusually help to alieviate the blues and the blahs. Dill Pickles are also one of lifes great pleasures, well a pretty good pleasure. A bit of Dill in stuffed eggs or Potato salad is yum. One of my grandmothers often rinsed her face with Dill Water and she had lovely skin right up into her 90s ( Ok that might have been genetic ). Dill is energizing .
I was once told by a "nose" that there is a teeny bit of dill in quite a few perfumes and mens colognes but I do not know if that is really true or not .I can see some guys really being attracted to a woman who smells like pickle relish. An excellent cream cheese spread can be made with dill and garlic

wizzle
07-08-2006, 15:13
I make a fabulous gravlaax with dill. That is salmon cured with salt, dill and my "secret" ingredients. It's super simple and uses the type of salmon filets available at Costco. Anyone wanting the recipie, PM me.

Dill is a staple in north European cooking. Toss steamed new potatoes with butter and dill... yum. Add it to a savory bread dough. Use just a snip in a soup . And almost no other herb goes as well with salmon. Here's a great and simple sauce for fish, potatoes, whatever which used to be served at a very fancy shmancy restaurant in Beverly Hills.....

1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup dijonne type mustard
1 teaspoon sugar
4 tablespoons fresh dill leaves (2 tablespoon dried)
juice of 1/2 lemon (about 1 tablespoon)
freshly ground pepper to taste

Mix and serve over hot or cold fish, etc. Keeps for several weeks.

The fancy restaurant served this sauce over a cold, poached filet of salmon which was placed on a slice of chewy black bread. Yum. This was on their lunch menu and came with a green salad.

Also very good... dill with sour cream and cucumber as a salad (typically served in the Baltic area)

1 cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced (no need to peel English cukes)
1/2 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons fresh dill leaves (or 1 tablespoon dried)
salt and pepper to taste

Sprinkle a bit of salt on cucumber and let sit for about 30 mins. Drain. Mix in the rest of the ingredients, chill and serve.

For a super simple presentation, just sprinkle dill leaves over sliced tomatoes .... salt and pepper to taste.

Dill is great but assertive. So generally, I use it as THE herb. About the only other herb it combines with well is fresh thyme.

Enjoy

p.s. besides harvesting the leaves, you can harvest the seeds. They have a stronger flavor than the leaves, wheather fresh or dried.

MCsea
07-08-2006, 17:39
Thank you!

skygreen I agree energising, I just LOVE the smell of DIll its way UP there...

wizzle thank you for that - I have printed the post and its in the kitchen ready for this evenings dinner if it works I might be handing out this sauce!!

THANK YOU

MARINA