Sealing the edges?

Marua

I was just wondering if any of you deck-trimmers has done anything to the edges to 'seal' them, so they don't... whats the word? Well, so they don't get worn. If so, what did you use, and how?
Thanks. :)

jmd

I have never 'trimmed' a deck I use (as yet), but have had corners beginning to peal on decks I use regularly. For this, I simply add a drop of PVC woodglue mixed with a droplet of water, apply it using a toothpick, press it with my fingers, and let it dry for a couple of hours - seems to last!

rainwolf

jmd sounds like he knows what he's doing, but I would not 'ruffle' the cards in order to prevent this. None of my decks have done that, and I dont know if it matters because they are cut out much the same way before they box them. If you are careful with how you shuffle, I dont think this should arise. If it gets to that point, maybe you need a new deck anyway?

Marua

Here's what I ended up doing:
First I applied some decoupage glue with a cotton swab. But the cards got a little sticky around the edges, so I rubbed a candle against them, and now they glide better. Seems fine this way.

nicole_

When I received my Tarot of Prague six months back, the edges were very raw as it was the first edition. I used candle wax to smoothen the edges up. However, I am regretting as it took me awhile to get rid of the extra wax; which was sticky and attracted not only other cards, but also dirt.

I have to clean the deck very often now and the matt surface of the deck has little splotches of wax on it. Its a little handicapped but I love it alot nonetheless.

AJ

The finish is applied to the whole card, not just the edges. The middle of the card is exactly the same as the edge of the card. There isn't anything to fluff out like a pillow with a hole in its cover. Take one of the extra cards to a deck and cut it up, you'll see they don't need sealed, they ARE sealed.

I'm talking about commercial card stock from professional dealers. I haven't got a clue what the homemade cards are like. There is one that has received a number of complaints about the lamination.

libuse

nicole_ said:
When I received my Tarot of Prague six months back, the edges were very raw as it was the first edition. I used candle wax to smoothen the edges up. However, I am regretting as it took me awhile to get rid of the extra wax; which was sticky and attracted not only other cards, but also dirt.

I have to clean the deck very often now and the matt surface of the deck has little splotches of wax on it. Its a little handicapped but I love it alot nonetheless.

Hi,

I just wondered what exactly it is that you can do with candle wax? A couple of my decks have started to split at the edges - probably because I'm a very heavy-handed shuffler, and from what I can tell candle wax could stop that, so what it is that I would do with the wax?

Thanks in advance for any advice