Getting hired for Parties

linabeet

Parties.

I like reading at parties.

Chronata - you said in the Wisconsin thread you read through an Entertainment booker?

Is this a way one gets hired to read at events? I've done them a few through word of mouth and internet ads but would like to pursue it more directly. I was wondering if there would be agents of bookers I could research and contact. I haven't actually done this yet in my city, but plan to.

Any other suggestions on how to get invited to parties?

Baroli

Entertainment Booker,....is that like an agent?? If so, does this person get a percentage? I am curious as well.

Baroli

Colby

I can't help you with the entertainment bookers/agents but could suggest...

Approaching some professional event organisers because they would deal with all sorts of parties and usually they are the creative souls behind the parties as well so if they are looking at a particular theme and know of your services, and need you they can contact you.

Approaching bookshops and local stores (which ever you think is appropriate) and ask to put flyers there offering your services for parties

Advertising in your local paper, holistic magazines/papers or holistic eNewsletters.

Good luck :)

Chronata

hi Linabeet!

The Entertainment brooker that I work through does a lot of different party entertainment.

I actually get more work on my own than I do through him...

But he does get me a few interesting gigs (the worst ever...reading at a dog track...comes to mind!)
The service is actually a DJ company, that also does things like face painting, clowns, balloon animals, costumed characters (all of which I do as well)...and Tarot Readers...of which I am his only one at the moment!

And yes...he does take a lot of my fee as his commission.
(He charges $100 an hour...of which I get $60)

so...my BEST party and event gigis have come through intuition and hard work...
I see that a restaurant or spa or store is doing a certain type of event...and I call up and ask..."Will there be any tarot readers at your event?"

and when they say..."no, we hadn't even thought of that"...

I say..."well, would you like one?" :D
and it works almost every time!

The kinds of events vary...but sometimes there's a theme that I just know would be a perfect place for tarot...like Mardi Gras events, Halloween, grand openings, anniversaries...

I have done a "Witches Night Out" event for a florist...
Many Harry Potter events for little bookstores...
many "angel" events for spas, and hair salons and bed and breakfasts around Valentine's Day!

It really is keeping a sharp eye out...and an open mind...and convincing someone that they would like to have you as their special attraction for whatever they are thinking about...

I also have made up fliers, around certain seasons...(again...Mardi Gras, and Halloween are the biggest...buit also the beginning of Summer outdoor fests) and just distributed them in local places...bars, restaurants, and local chambers of commerce.

If you keep at it...you can get some really good parties out of it...and one really pleased client...often gets the word out and leads to more!

oh...and anyone at the events who ever says..."I would love to have a little party with a reader"...make sure you get their contact info...and bug them until they hire you! :D (well...at least make second contact!)

linabeet

Excellent, excellent advice Chronata, thank you.

I hadn't thought of a lot of that. I'm excited to give it a try!

tarotbear

Linabeet~

I worked for a 'singing balloon telegram service' for many years. They are agood place to ask because they are bombarded with people seeking all sorts of entertainment and stuff for a party.

Places that rent party equipment (tents, tables, etc.) are also a good place to contact, as are places that offer DJs.

If there is a hall or venue that is always in use for parties, contact the management of that facility and offer your services, too.

abella

You can get work through an entertainment agency; however, there are a few problems:

1. There's a lot of professional readers out there and agencies prefer going with proven readers that have been in the paper, published, or what-have-you.
2. There's not a lot of work that they have to give you.
3. They usually are not readers themselves which means they can book you for stuff that's no fun at all.

I run a psychic event entertainment company throughout the US and Canada and I don't consider myself an agency because of how I run my company. I also don't pay $100 an hour either (going rate through an agency).

If you are trying to run a psychic business, you will get most of your business through your "own" endeavours. :) You really need to want it and work hard for it because it's a ton of work.

Guiding Cauldron

great ideas and input :)

all fab ideas and yes it always down to your own pulling up of sleeves and getting out there :)

Leisa

Online Party Directory

I do a lot of parties and get bookings from my website, leaving fliers at new age bookstores, working with a party company and paying for a listing in an on-line party directory. This site has a free listing (phone & name only) or paid listing.

I don't want to advertise for them but I'd respond to a private message.

I actually dedicated the last episode of my podcast to parties, http://www.tarotconnection.net/episode-48/