believing in future cards

madmoiselle

I have trouble with the future cards. I see all the other cards in the spread, and I believe in them, I see they are right, and I try to follow their advice. But the future cards really confuse me. I mean, it didn't happen yet, right? Either I find that what they say will happen is either good or bad, and I can see how it stems from their advice. Or I can't really, or don't know how to read them.

blackstormhawk

If I understand your question properly, actions you take based on the reading can affect the outcome, so yes, what is predicted in a reading today can be changed by tomorrow or next week.

Do you have a more specific example that you want to use to clarify your question?

Azarial

If you are not happy with the future of a reading, you are capable of changing that destiny by taking a different path. The future for the reading you are doing is only true if you stay on the path without straying. But remember that you are always able to make the outcome more to your liking by changing your actions or reactions.

~Azarial~

Agathe

What ever happened to Karma? Don't you think there are ceratin things and events in our lives that must take place as it's our karma. That cannot be changed by our actions just because dear God had a plan for us sending us here. The rest does indeed depend on us.
It's just my poit of view on it.

Blessings,
Agata

blackstormhawk

Karma, in my view, tends to be a longer term life-lesson kind of thing. Individual events and actions may indeed be colored by that, but not necessarily directly affected.

Silver_Skye

I read in my decks companion book (but don't know how others look on it, or if it is even accepted as truth) that the number of major and minor arcana cards in a reading signify how much control you have over what is to happen...

For instance, if you have more Major Arcana cards than Minor, fate is more in control of what's happening, or is to happen than you are at that time - if there are more minor arcana, then you've got most of the influence on your life and path...

There is a point to this, really... Here goes:

So I guess my take on how to read the future cards (using ths major and minor arcana theory) would be to look at the card meanings, see what you get from there and then look at the number of major and minor arcana in your spread, this will help you see how much 'wiggle room' or effect you can have on your future path.

job

Perception

I lean strongly towards Agathe's point.

What will be will be.

The proof is in the pudding. If you think you're really changing anything then the pudding doesn't exist and its just your ego telling you it does.

Or "If we can remember the past, why can't we remember the future?"

Alta

Or, think of it as 'the way things are tending' given the other factors. Not as immutable future.

Abrac

madmoiselle said:
I have trouble with the future cards. I see all the other cards in the spread, and I believe in them, I see they are right, and I try to follow their advice. But the future cards really confuse me.
Future cards can be a little confusing. One reason for this, I believe, is because so often the future is revealed as an abstract potential and it is up to us to fill in the missing pieces. Let's look at a simple example using an imaginary world where no books, letters, or writing instruments of any kind have ever been invented, or even thought of. You lay out your cards, which reveal that in the future you will create an amazing new thing that will make it possible to record and store information for future reference. How can this be? You have no concept of how this could be possible. But you now have in your imagination an idea, a thought, a future potential. So you set about figuring how to manifest it. Often the answer reveals itself following a long period of intense effort, after you have put it aside and forgotten about it.

Now, back in the real world, let's say the card that winds up in the future position in your spread is the 10 of Cups. Here you have an abstract potential that could mean many things. It may take some time to fully understand what it means, and for all of the pieces to come together to make it a material reality in your life.

Agathe

Abrac said:
Now, back in the real world, let's say the card that winds up in the future position in your spread is the 10 of Cups. Here you have an abstract potential that could mean many things. It may take some time to fully understand what it means, and for all of the pieces to come together to make it a material reality in your life.

But if it was in the future position don't you think it would relate to the question itself? So, if the question was about money obviously we wouldn't start talking about love and family and children all of a sudden. I think one needs to take into consideration the matter of a question and relate the cards to it. There are so many ways in which tarot tries to communicate with us. All we need to do is to listen while it tells a story.