Wooohooooo! It's trim time!

RubyV

I've decided to trim my Thoth deck. I started yesterday, and I'm almost done with the majors. It's harder to trim than my Goddess Tarot since the artwork blends into the borders at times. It's the regular sized deck, and it's turning into a lovely mini. The artwork is taking on new life.

Dwaas

Ah trimming time! It will be so rewarding! Congrats on your new Thoth. :)
Blessings

shadowdancer

I was in a trim mood today too....lol

I trimmed my Druidcraft a bit further than previously, still keeping titles though.

Then I did something I thought was brave - I trimmed my personal copy of the Gothic Vargo. Again, still keeping titles but trimming to the inside border. Heck they really did come to life even more so, and are a lot easier for me to shuffle.

Feeling in the mood I then took out my Mythic and did the same. This is my first deck from 10 years ago, and I have not used it of late, but could never bear to part with it. Trimming the borders off, but leaving titles almost made me see them as a new and refreshing deck. I feel they are happy with this, and now have a new buzz about them!

Also receiving a wee trim were the Arcus Arcanum. The colours seem so much more vibrant for it. Have now called it quits!! Other decks are safe from being trimmed.

My thoth I have not even ventured to do this with. Who knows.. one day...

Davina

Silver_Skye

This sounds like a rewarding process, though I must say it frightens me a bit. ^_^

I'd be afraid to make it uneven - that would bother me.

Maybe oneday I'll be brave enough! ^_^

shadowdancer

I was worried too but you only need, a sharp pair of scissors, corner rounder and a steady hand.

It does take a while and patience, but I think with the right deck the rewards are there. Of my 54 decks I only have those 3 I would consider trimming. this is because they were just too large to shuffle, and had a border area I could use to follow. Others I own don't lend themselves to even thinking of trimming. If there is no inner border of some kind, I would not entertain it.

Davina

karen0205

You can buy yourself a little personal trimmer where you line up the top of the card and trim down the side, that way it's straight because the top of the card is straight. Then, you just line up each side of the card and since the first cut was straight they all will be straight. I know you can go to scrapbook stores and use their supplies during their 'open scrapbook' times. It might cost $5 for the session but it would be worth it to use their large trimmers. Also, Kinko's has trimmers too. You could do it there too. Just don't go at lunchtime when it's crazy busy! I have a large trimmer I bought when I was teaching, it's 12x12 and it was the best $38 I ever spent. I can't tell you how much I use it. Anyone want a deck trimmed? Send it along, I'll be happy to do it! Karen

RubyV

thanks everyone!

It's rather meditative, the cutting by hand, but I may use the large trimmer at work early tommorrow and see how that works out.

Silver_Skye

shadowdancer said:
I was worried too but you only need, a sharp pair of scissors, corner rounder and a steady hand.

It does take a while and patience, but I think with the right deck the rewards are there. Of my 54 decks I only have those 3 I would consider trimming. this is because they were just too large to shuffle, and had a border area I could use to follow. Others I own don't lend themselves to even thinking of trimming. If there is no inner border of some kind, I would not entertain it.

Davina

Ah, this makes things a bit clearer for me... Though I'm still afraid to make it crooked! ^_^

Though decks with an inner border would make it easeir to tell where trimming is appropriate and where it isn't. ^_^

Layne

You can generally get a small paper trimmer at a craft store for $10-$15.

Grizabella

Oooh, so brave to trim the Vargo! I finally got my Vargo and it's too big for my hands to be comfortable shuffling it, so I did look at it with an eye to trimming it, but I just can't bring myself to.

In the past, though, I've trimmed a couple of Haindl decks. I didn't like how they shuffled after that, so I don't think I'll be trimming any more decks. Certainly not the Dutch Haindl that Dwaas sent to me. :)