Smell the cards

jerzy

This may be a little odd to some, but has anyone noticed the different smells of the cards when you first take them out of the cellophane wrapper?

I was wondering if anyone has recently bought a Morgan-Greer deck. Tell me honestly, does it really smell of what I think it smells of...as does the Fey Tarot deck?

Briar Rose

Ink has a lot to do with the way cards smell. Sounds like you got something hot off the press.

Rabbit

I know that smell.

I noticed that the darker in color the cards, i.e. Crow's Magic, the "smellier" they are. I have a sensitive sense of smell, so if a deck smells to me I cannot use it and have to trade it or give it away.

Annabelle

jerzy said:
I was wondering if anyone has recently bought a Morgan-Greer deck. Tell me honestly, does it really smell of what I think it smells of...as does the Fey Tarot deck?
Yes, I have a recent printing of the Morgan Greer, and it does stink. Smells heavily of chemicals, as do several other recently-printed U.S. Games decks that I own (the Forest Folklore also comes to mind).

I'm surprised to hear you mention the Fey, though, as that's a Lo Scarabeo deck, and my experience so far with their decks is that they don't smell like anything, even when new-right-out-of-the-wrapper.

Shaymus

I haven't noticed that with my Morgan-Greer, but I sure did for the Revelations Tarot. It stunk up my hands, and the cards reeked, and gave me a headache. I put them away months ago, and haven't touched them since.

Shaymus

jerzy

I guess thet "cleansing the cards" takes on a whole new meaning ;) I certainly don't intend using the Morgan-Greer deck to do readings for anyone until that urea/ammonia smell disappears. My Fey Tarot deck still smells after 8 weeks, but it isn't that strong, unless I bring my nose up close. The moment I took the cellophane off the M-G deck, I practically choked. I suspect it must be the shiny/laminated cards from US Games that are the smelly ones, as the Zerner-Farber deck doesn't smell at all and isn't laminated.

Lillie

I got an LS deck recently,and it had quite a strong chemical smell about it.
Not nasty, just strong.

Husband was delighted. His little ears pricked up and his nose started twitching. He almost wagged his tail.

Mmmmm! cellulose thinners! he said.

Everytime I had them cards out he would give them a sniff and then start nostalgic reminicences about mechanicing/paint spraying.

Oh, he'd say, that takes me back!

Grizabella

I kind of enjoy some of the smells of new decks, but the Morgan Greer was different and I didn't like it. I love the deck, but just not the smell of it. However, the smell has gone away pretty quickly. If you put the cards all out in a single layer somewhere, I'd venture a guess that the smell would go away within 24 hours, but I didn't do that. I just used it. It wasn't so strong that it was obnoxious unless I stuck my nose right into the deck.

Dwaas

I wouldn't trade a deck away because it smells. I once got a deck through trade that smelled like wet dog. I put the deck in a bag with a few drops of perfume oil and since then it is my best smelling deck. :) And the chemical smell from the factory? Well, actually I love it and imo it fades too soon. If you do like Lyric said and spread the cards out it will lose its smell soon. Incense also can do miracles.
Blessings

jackdaw*

I've only had one new deck with an unpleasant smell, and that fades with use. Usually it's much fainter, and I enjoy that "new deck smell".

I had another deck I won on eBay that was crafted of paper wrappings and cardstock and was I think a little neglected. It had an unpleasantly strong musty smell. I spread the cards out on flat surfaces or propped against windowsills overnight and it was much more palatable.