So many reversals in 1 & 2 card readings

MariaAZ

This question is actually about a trend I am seeing rather than a specific spread, so I hope I posted this in the right location. I searched the forum for an answer but wasn't able to find one, so I apologize if this has been discussed already.

I am just starting with tarot, and am taking a class with a local reader. Using the RWS deck, we are also learning about reversals and how to shuffle for them. As part of my learning experience, I'm doing one- or two- card draws every day and taking notes. My goal is just one card but there have been a few times when I needed clarification; hence, the two- card draws. It seems that a good 75% of the cards come up as reversals. After taking notes I've even checked the deck and it looks pretty evenly distributed. I also shuffle several times before drawing.

Because I am learning this deck with reversals, I am trying to comprehend if there is something going on that I'm too novice to pick up on. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

The Hanged Man

If you have about 50% of the cards in the deck reversed, then it isn't incredibly unlikely that if only drawing two cards, that they will both be reversed. It would take a bigger reading to make a mixture more likely.

I would say perhaps try just using upright postions for now, and move onto considering reversals when you feel ready to tackle larger spreads. Alternatively, ask the person who is teaching you Tarot about this.

When considering reversals, the card does not necessarily mean the exact opposite to it's upright meaning - but it can do -, it can also mean a diminished influence of what the card represents, or a blockage of it's influence perhaps, there are many other things which they can show, all depending on context and dignity. Just go with what you feel, you will work out what the reversals mean when trying to apply the meaning of the card to the question you have asked. Remember that it is cards which come out reversed when reversals were never intended that are of the most special importance.

WalesWoman

I'm surprised you are learning to use reversals so soon, maybe it will give you a better idea of why many readers don't use them.

A question... how do you arrange the deck for reversals? I've seen a lot of different methods and was mostly wondering how many cards are reversed usually.

75% seems to be a lot of reversed cards... unless it's just helping you out a lot since you are studying reversals right now... to accomodate you. :D

I guess if the clarification card is reversed as well, to go with the most negative anti- upright meaning as possible... that if there is any question, it's NO!

I've been reading for 4 years now and I still have a hard time with interpreting them and for the most part, avoid them.

MariaAZ

In order to shuffle for reversals, according to the instructor, one cuts and shuffles the two halves together. Then, one lifts the outer edges of each half up, forming a "vee" with the shuffled-together edges at the bottom and easing the outer edges together until the deck is back together.

Rather like this:

_ _ are the two halves shuffled together

\/ the bottom of the vee is the shuffed ends with the top edges of the cards slowly brought together back into one deck.

I've got mixed feelings about learning the reversals along with the upright meanings, especially for someone who is brand-new to tarot. There's enough to remember already. However, I'm guessing the instructor feels reversals are important and it IS rather fun trying to match the reversed meaning with the picture.