Plant / Weed / Cactus --what Is This ??

redflash

This is driving me mad, I have been trying to identify this for a while now !

A few weeks ago I bought a peony in a pot, & when I moved it into a bigger pot I noticed there was another plant of some kind already next to the peony. I thought I would give it a chance & see what came of it. It's growing, & now there are dozens of tiny little new versions of it popping up.

It seems to be quite flat, growing out rather than up. The big one split in 2 & both bits are growing. It feels thick & a little waxy, & all over the leaves are these little raised circles, they look a bit like warts ! It's an ugly looking thing !

It could be a weed for all I know, I'm just very curious about it !

Attachments

• 021005 052.jpg
    021005 052.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 110

tarotbear

OHMYGODDESS! POD PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!

No idea; from your description before I saw the picture I thought it might be 'Hens & Chicks' which makes a good ground cover in areas with poor soil. Ask someone at a nursery.

redflash

Roflmao@ Pod-people !!!!!!!!

redflash

tabbycat, you're right ! It's one of the liverwort family. What an ugly plant ! I will have to go & get rid of them tomorrow, apparently they spread like wildfire !

DraagonStorm

If it's not liverwort, it sure is related! Myself, I always have liked the strange and unusual looking plants (Audrey II ;) for example) I think the plant is cute, and would be a gas to have some square planters, in various places in my garden....

But that will never happen.......
from link... Most species like cool, moist and shaded areas.

I live in Las Vegas, NV... cool, moist and shaded are not in the vocabulary of the desert!

BB
DraagonStorm

redflash

Actually...... I think I will put one of them in a planter thats currently empty, & just watch it grow. Away from the rest of the garden though !

ravenest

Beware!!!

Beware! The day of the triffids!