Black Opal

Grigori

Does anyone have any experience using opals therapeutically? I'm especially interested in the black one, but would also like to hear any comments on the white.

Thanks! :)

Acadia

Working with Opal for conventional healing, like laying it on the body, is somewhat difficult. Opal works better on a mental/emotional level than on a physical "absorbing" level. Gridding can be hit or miss as well... Sometimes it works by recharging the body or some of the aura fields, but sometimes it doesn't.

The best means for healing that you can use Opal for is self-healing and recharging through meditation, astral travel, dream questing, and lucid dreaming. Like doing the work from the "inside" as opposed to the outside. On that level, Opal is a very, very powerful healer. It helps to open doorways, remove blockages, deal with past guilt or repressed memories, etc. I would say though, since it's pretty potent and strong on that level, that it should only be used by people who are really experienced. From personal experience, I can say that I did crystal healing for awhile, before using Opal to heal internally, but it opens so much and unblocks so much, it can be very overwhelming. Practicing meditative techniques, controlled lucid dreaming, etc really helps prepare you. :)

Black Opal, I'd consider using it only for healing like I mentioned in the second paragraph, if I'd use it for healing at all... Black Opal is such a powerful opener, that it's really a shock to the system sometimes. I'd say I'd only use it in that context in very controlled settings, by a very experienced person, in small amounts at a time.

Grigori

Thanks for the feedback Acadia! :) Your description is very similar to the one discussed at a seminar I just attended. The author has found it a tool for creating change, and for pushing people through the door (so to speak).

A very powerful stone, that he associates with Pluto energy. Making changes in your life, as well as coming to terms with the deeper you (something he attributes to all jewels, Opal though being the kick in the butt you need to get up and do it).

Do you know any authors who discuss the properties of Opal? Or could you share any experiences of how you developed your knowledge? Of the other jewels we discussed I found a lot of lore and history, but I have been able to find very little on Opal, and almost nothing that indicates a history of use in healing. I thought this may be a regional thing, since opal exists in so few countries naturally.

dr. farr

Gienger ("Crystal Power, Crystal Healing") has a good discussion of healing applications of several varieties of opal; also you will find succinct but highly informative synopses of many different opals in Gienger's "Healing Crystals" (both books available on Amazon Books)

Grigori

lithotherapist said:
Gienger ("Crystal Power, Crystal Healing") has a good discussion of healing applications of several varieties of opal; also you will find succinct but highly informative synopses of many different opals in Gienger's "Healing Crystals" (both books available on Amazon Books)

Thanks lithotherapist! I best be adding them to my wishlist, and hurry along my next big splurge :D

Sophie

Here's the translation from Boschiero's lithotherapy dictionary:

BLACK OPAL

Physical properties
It has protective effects on the whole organism. It acts on articular rheumatism. It has good effects against pulmonary infections.

Emotional and mental properties
It stimulates premonition dreams and clear visions of the future. It stimulates intuition. Because of these properties, it is very useful in divination.

Spiritual properties
With its vivid blue, green, yellow and red iridescence, it allows for a great degree of spiritual attainment when used in meditation. It elevates the vibrations of the mental body, and reinforces the spiritual body. It helps the dying in their passage to the other world.

In general, all opals are good against dehydration or water retention - it is a water balancer.

Acadia

Do you know any authors who discuss the properties of Opal?

I’d have to say, other than the standard books (Melody’s book, Judy Hall’s “The Crystal Bible”), the two books I’d check out would be Healing Crystals and Gemstones: From Amethyst to Zircon by Flora Peschek-Bohmer and Gisela Schreiber, and (especially if you’re looking for specific information on Black Opal) “The Book of Stones: Who They Are and What they Teach” by Robert Simmons and Naisha Ahsian. The first book is hardcover and fairly inexpensive, but one of the best books on the healing applications of crystals. The second is, as far as I’m concerned *the* authority on all things gemstone and crystal. It is one of the more expensive books, but it is totally worth it as the information is comprehensive, it covers all forms of stone from normal to exotic, and it features full color photos (at least one) of each stone. Well worth the price, if you ask me.

Or could you share any experiences of how you developed your knowledge?

Well, a lot of my knowledge comes from good ol’ trial and error. I’m a Reiki II, and I combine Reiki with crystal healing and gridwork, as well as principles I learned from a friend who’s a Native American Crystal Healer. One of the things that he shared, which I think is really true, is that while Opal can be used with varying degrees of success, on healing physical ailments, but because of it’s power and vibrational level, it’s really suited to the “big work” of internal healing. The analogy he used was something along the lines of using an Opal to heal physical pain is much like using a Lamborghini to go off-roading. Not only are there cars/trucks better suited for such work, but it’s really a waste of all the Lamborghini has to offer. The same with Opal. It has so much power and energy to it, and it has so much it can do that other stones cannot, to use it for physical healing is something of a waste. The only exception to this would be serious healing, like cancer, where Opal's energies might be perfect, since in illnesses like that one of the biggest problem isn't just the illness, but the drain on the spirit.

When I use it, I use it to help me find holes in the various layers of the aura and, if appropriate, fix the hole. I have also used it a few times for people who’s chakra energy is “broken.” As in the chakra is so clouded or scattered it’s not flowing properly, or (and I’ve only seen this once) for a person who’s chakra was in the literal sense shattered. I used Opal in a long-term Reiki therapy (which she paired with actual therapy) for her, with resounding success. For some that I’m helping learn Astral Travel or lucid dreaming, I’ve used the Opal’s energy to help them over that initial hurdle of crossing that first hump, and shutting off the active mind to help flow with the subconscious mind.

One of the best internal healing meditations I have, which is kind of hard to explain, is to meditate on the Opal’s appearance by either having it at eye level or having it resting on the Third Eye Chakra, then to feel your ethereal body (spirit, whatever) going into the Opal itself, and feeling it’s personal energy and vibration in order to have it blend or superimpose itself into your being, working to help you balance out your energies, plug holes or strengthen weaknesses in the aura. This is a recharging meditation I do on myself to help me cope with depression, but I’ve also done in the context of Reiki work. I did it more before than I do now, because a few people had really powerful reactions to it, and I kind of doubted myself on my ability to comfort them through Reiki, gridwork, etc. It tends to bring forth past memories and incidents that still bring pain to either the conscious or the subconscious so that you can resolve them. For some, it’s fairly traumatic if they’re not ready to do that. Like, for example, the first time I did it, it brought forth memories from my youth where lies that I put forth hurt a lot of people and then ultimately myself which caused a lot of guilt and heartache. Since I wasn’t prepared for it, it was really overwhelming and put me off working Opal for awhile, but then when I figured out how to control it a little better, I took it in bits and chunks to help me finally come to the resolution I needed. But still, some just aren’t ready for that, even when they think they are, which is why I’ve been dubious about using it in that context for somebody else.

Anyway, that’s some of my experiences… I hope that helps. Really, if you have any questions, let me know… Not to sound possessive, but Opal is ‘my’ stone, and I’ve been working with it for ages, through healing, divination, spellwork, etc. I don’t pretend my experiences are a universal interpretation of the stone, but maybe I can help steer you in a direction that can help you. :)

Grigori

Thanks so much Helvetica and Acadia! That is really useful.

Acadia

Glad I could help. If you need anything else, let me know. :)

scorpio

Cassandra Eason sez "Black opal transforms fears that hold us back from action into optimism and an eagerness to get on with life" "A power stone, used throughout magical history by wizards and magicians, amplifies power magically and an amulet attracts good fortune" PLUS it's in your backyard!