Why are backs so important?

RubyRuby

I've read a few threads where the discussion revolved/discussed the backs of cards.

Now, while I admit, some are more appealing than others, it seems that there is more to the backs than I see.

So, just curious, as to what is so important, or why they are so important.

Thanks

Ruby

Grizabella

They're really not so important to me. The only backs I really haven't liked is the Merryday backs. They have the words "Merryday Tarot" on the back and it's very unattractive.

Also, I know some people like to reverse cards and don't like decks where the backs will show that they have a reversal. I don't use reversals, so it doesn't bother me.

Another reason may be that it's what you're seeing the whole time you're shuffling and can be distracting if it's an unattractive back.

The Hanged Man

I think the backs of Tarot's are only of importance when they are either particularly beautiful or particularly ugly.

A very ugly backing on a Tarot is the Pagan Tarot 2000, which has this really horrible picture of an eye at the centre, with a spider web shape surrounding it and rainbow colour's behind. It's so awful I did consider colouring over the backs with black marker, but I didn't bother as I don't use them that much. I don't like boring backings either, such as the stale brown tartan type backing on the IJJ Swiss. I feel that an unattractive back on a deck is important because it can put you off using them, regardless of the fronts, because it is the back of a deck that makes that first impression upon the person being read for.

An attractive backing on a deck, such as the gorgeous back of the Gilded, is important, because as I said, it makes that first impression, and if this impression is good, it makes one all the more eager to see the fronts. It's all about presentation.

If the backings of a deck are not very attractive or very unappealing, then I don't suppose it matters at all really.

x

Deana

The back is the first impression your querent gets. If it's the Haindl eye staring out, that's too creepy for many people. If it's that glaring sun on the Inner Child Cards, people feel blinded (not that many can shuffle that anyway). It needs to be attractive and gentle, something that the querent can feel relaxed looking at while shuffling. I like to have decks laid out on a table, face-down and let people choose their own. What they see is the back. Most people choose Hanson-Roberts. Robin Wood is a close second. Men like the Thoth back.

The Hanged Man

Absolutely, you made some good points there Deana.

RubyRuby

All those points make a lot of sense. I don't read for others very often, so I never looked at it that way. Thanks.

The back of the Gilded, is very attractive.

The Hanged Man

RubyRuby said:
The back of the Gilded, is very attractive.

It is lovely, one of the best I reckon.

tarotcardrose

Yes

My favorite are still the plaid Rider Waite. I also love the Gypsy WItch of course. I was disppointed with the Gilded though, too computer generated.

The Hanged Man

tarotcardrose said:
I was disppointed with the Gilded though, too computer generated.

I can understand your point of view. I really don't like computer generated decks, I love organic artwork, somehow it's so much more spiritual and 'genuine', but as far as computer generated decks go, the Gilded is the best of it's genre, it really stands out on it's own. I wouldn't want any other computer art decks. I tend to dislike collage decks too, except of course for the Golden Tarot, which like the Gilded, stands alone in it's genre, and I think is probably my favourite deck of all.

x

Alta

I do not find the backs of cards important. But, I do turn them as I lay them down, so the backs are not sitting face up at any time.