PDA

View Full Version : Woes of a cusp born..

Butterfly
15-02-2002, 12:04
As a cancer/leo cuspie (well leo by two hours to be exact) i'm always fascinated by how people address the cusp issue.
Everyone has different theories as to the true sun sign, I feel i'm a hefty dose of both. It would hurt me to believe otherwise.
It's hard to form an astrological identity when every book has you as a different sign. This can be a real advantage though- I read cancer and leo horoscopes and pick the best day/week/month (Shame on me, I know).
Does anyone else have the same problem? How do you deal with it?
Belinda

Pollux
15-02-2002, 17:23
Hi Butterfly!
I think you deal with it well enough! :D

Actually I wasn't born on the cusp, but I think more or less anyone as the same problem as you have.
In fact, the astrological identity is not uniquely identified by Sun Sign - you know there's plenty other aspects and positions that make us feel scattered all over the Zodicac! :)
For example, I have always wondered if it wasn't more correct to listen to the Rising horoscope rather than the Sun Sign - surely the situation might have been closer to the birth chart, right?
My problem, however, is that I have a respectable part of each element in the birth chart. Well, you'll say, you're balanced. Hell, I say, I'm not! :D
I really get so puzzled at times!!! My Gemini streak, strong enough, is quite frequent. But as soon as I'm offended I turn into an Aries (Moon) or Scoprio (Rising) as I have Mars (gov) conjuncted with my natal Sun.
My idea of love is absolute (4th house in Pisces!!!) but I'm a lone wolf, independent and really concerned with self-fulfillment and affirmation.
I could go on, but that would be useless.

To sum up, anyone has this problem: to deal with the different Male/Female polarity. Some do quite well, and get balanced, other (like me) are competely disproportionate and without control.

As for your being a cusp, hey! It's not such a pain in the...
Cusps will surely have a more dynamic and active life than mine! :D And, why don't you try making your own horoscope? Taking into account your Sun, Moon, Venus and all?

Blessed you be by the stars!

AquarianGoddess
16-02-2002, 06:54
Pollux,

You're so honest and I always enjoy reading your posts!

P.S. I lend you my Scorpio Moon anytime you want.

AG

Scorpion
17-02-2002, 06:49
Hi, Butterfly!

I'm on the cusp of Scorpio and Saggitarius. Mostly horoscopes put me under Scorp, but I have seen some that have me down as a Saggy. I am, however, about 90% Scorp - which is probably enough for anybody! Some situations bring out the Saggy in me - particularly as I've got my moon in Leo so there is a bit of fire in there......

I have to say I like being a cusp case - no complaints from me!

jade
17-02-2002, 10:42
butterfly,

have you had your chart done accurately.........are you sure which sign you are?

just curious.

:)

in light,
jade

Butterfly
18-02-2002, 10:03
Jade-Yep, I've had it done. The sun changed from Cancer to Leo (00deg10')two hours before my birth.
As for the other positions my moon is also in cusp (Taurus 0 deg 13'),
Rising- Sag
Merc- Cancer
Venus- Leo
Mars- Aries
Jupiter- Aquarius
saturn- Gemini
Uranus- Libra
Nept- Sag
Pluto- Libra
I don't mind the cusp- I think it encouraged me to explore astrology a little more, and still maintain a degree of independence.

Liliana
19-02-2002, 11:54
I dont haunt these grounds usually, but Im a Sagi/Capi cusp (Yule child hehe) and Im definately Sagi, about 90% at least. My husband is a Leo/Virgo cusp (hows THAT for perfect date compatability lol) and he's definately Leo, tho he usually wont call himself either/or, he's both. I read bothhoroscopes as well, and I read both of his too hehe. another interesting thing, my first daughter was born December 20 (day before I turned 21, no alcohol in the hospital hehe), and my other daughter was born August 16, so my famiy is 2 Leos and 2 Sagis, come to think of it those 2 Leos may be a problem later lol

Butterfly
19-02-2002, 12:56
Ooh, now that will be a lot of fun. Two leos- lot of ego for a little family.
I'm lucky- my little one is a libra- she charms me to pieces, makes me her slave and still manages to make me feel grateful for letting me help her! I'll be adding a little virgo to the family later in the year, hopefully they'll get on well, but to be truthful the idea of a virgo child terrifies me!!

purplelady
20-02-2002, 06:33
Butterfly , don't fret. My oldest child is a virgo and he is like my favorite person in the whole world! (Well , except for my other child of course!). From day one he was quiet , content , happy , rarely cried , and almost everybody likes him! I'm serious.

purplelady
20-02-2002, 06:40
However , you really can't peg virgo the way the books do . (Nor Capricorns). Virgos are supposed to be fanatically clean , neat , organized , and critical , right? Well , I have a really good virgo friend who is the sweetest person in the world , but I've Never seen a house as in dire need of cleaning and organizing as hers! (ouch!) also I can tell her almost anything and she isn't critical! So how do you explain that! ?

sapienza
20-02-2002, 17:46
Liliana (19 Feb, 2002 12:54):
I dont haunt these grounds usually, but Im a Sagi/Capi cusp (Yule child hehe) and Im definately Sagi, about 90% at least. My husband is a Leo/Virgo cusp (hows THAT for perfect date compatability lol) and he's definately Leo, tho he usually wont call himself either/or, he's both. I read bothhoroscopes as well, and I read both of his too hehe. another interesting thing, my first daughter was born December 20 (day before I turned 21, no alcohol in the hospital hehe), and my other daughter was born August 16, so my famiy is 2 Leos and 2 Sagis, come to think of it those 2 Leos may be a problem later lol

Liliana,
I'm also a Sag/Cap cusp. I was born the same day as your first daughter (20 Dec). I'm very much a Sag but there are strong Capricorn traits that raise their head at what seems like always the most difficult time. I always felt like rather a tormented soul, but looking at Astrology and my birthchart and the whole Sag/Cap think has really helped me make sense of things. I've got a lot of each sign in my chart eg. Cap rising, mercury in Sag so both are quite strong. To me it's always seemed like the two are very hard to reconcile. The two parts of me are satisfied by very different things.

Life is always interesting though!

ww

AquarianGoddess
21-02-2002, 06:58
I'm sorry to burst everyone's bubble :(

The cusp thing is a fallacy. A person can only be ONE sun sign, not two. If you're a zero degrees Gemini, then you're a Gemini, not a Gemini/Taurus (the sign before Gemini). If one is showing Taurus qualities, one may have a Taurus Moon, ascendant, Mercury, Venus or Mars; meaning one may have another planet in that sign that's responsible for those qualities.

However, we're all entitled to our own beliefs and if it makes one feel better to believe in cusps, go for it! :-D

Butterfly
21-02-2002, 10:57
Ooh, Aquarian Goddess, you wound me.
I like to believe that my Leo vanity, extravagance and drama is nicely moderated by my Cancerian tendencies. And it's definately not exagerated by my Taurus moon. Uh uh, no way!

Pollux
21-02-2002, 20:11
NO NO NO, Butterfly!

Surely your Moon in Taurus bears more Cancerian attributes than Leo ones.
The Moon is in Exaltation (exl) in Taurus, which means that, if in Cancer she feels home, in Taurus she's even organized a party there! :D
Really, this position surely has the influence you want to attribute to your "cancerin" half...
That, apart from a STRONG Moon in Taurus (check the aspects for her strength :) ) don't seem to be identifiable otherwise.
After all, you also have a Cancer-Mercury, that gives much of sensitivety, intuition and dreaminess...
Try meditating on your chart...

However, don't underestimate Leos... they surely are tender, giving, sensitive and affectionate beings!

jade
22-02-2002, 13:23
ag,

that's what i thought too.

thanks for the info.

jade :)

Major Tom
22-02-2002, 19:06
I have to agree with AquarianGoddess. I'm on the leo side of a Leo/Virgo cusp, but I'm definitely a Leo. I do have Mercury in Virgo which tends to make me sound critical in my communications! Oops! :D

But with 5 :o planets in Leo - I'm definitely Leo! For interest I've got my moon in Scorpio and a Taurus ascendent. Really interesting because my girlfriend has her sun in Aries with Scorpio ascendent and Taurus moon. How's that for a match! :D

La Force
30-11-2013, 06:44
Deleted wrong post in wrong thread sorry guys and gals. That what happens on cell phones/tablets using an app to access forum.

iAmRiotEyes
07-12-2013, 11:02
I'm a Gemini/Cancer Cusp born June 21.

I hate it. HATE it.

"Cusp of Magic" my arse.

I think one of the few plus sides to my cusp is that I've developed a switch to turn my emotions on and off, out of necessity really. If anyone gets carried away it's me. I feel things super strongly, regardless of any logical analyses that the other half quickly spits at emotions. It's hard for me to marry the two sides and I'm very unhappy most of the time if I let any but the absolute necessary feelings seep through (otherwise I'm sure I'd come of as psychotic.)

It might just be a matter of learning to balance the touchy feely moody wahwah Cancer side and my bada** IDGAF playful and quick Gemini, but I have yet to learn completely how to mix the two.

It's a war in here.

EnchantedFairyForest
05-02-2014, 13:52
My astrology sign is Aquarius and I always found it very interesting cause I'm born on the 18th of February but I relate to a lot with Pisces. I recently looked up my cusps and I find it very interesting as well. This is what I found recently.

http://www.alwaysastrology.com/aquarius-pisces-cusp.html

ravenest
07-02-2014, 10:51
I'm a Gemini/Cancer Cusp born June 21.

I hate it. HATE it.

"Cusp of Magic" my arse.

I think one of the few plus sides to my cusp is that I've developed a switch to turn my emotions on and off, out of necessity really. If anyone gets carried away it's me. I feel things super strongly, regardless of any logical analyses that the other half quickly spits at emotions. It's hard for me to marry the two sides and I'm very unhappy most of the time if I let any but the absolute necessary feelings seep through (otherwise I'm sure I'd come of as psychotic.)

It might just be a matter of learning to balance the touchy feely moody wahwah Cancer side and my bada** IDGAF playful and quick Gemini, but I have yet to learn completely how to mix the two.

It's a war in here.

Helloooo ... I have a 'cusp of magicK' ... and I'm loving it ( a 29' 59.9 {recurring}" Gemini Sun (for you non-believers) :P and a 0' leo Sun for all you Cuspites :)

However I do have a 0 deg Leo Moon for a bit of an inverse elemental pairing.

As far as switches go I would be checking the Mercury regulator. (Mine reflects beneficially off Neptune - thank the Gods ! ) It should not be 'spitting' at Venus. The 'marrying of the two sides' may relate more to your Mars Venus and how Mercury regulates BOTH of them ... then they can surround and support your Moon , then it can link to the Sun through your Mercury (as 'psychopomp'). Co-joining the Sun and Moon is the 'Great Work' after all ;)

Look for good aspects in this pattern, if important ones are missing (or are malific) , seek a pathway there via other beneficial aspects and use that as a way of modeling behaviour and outlook.

Minderwiz
08-02-2014, 07:32
As far as switches go I would be checking the Mercury regulator. (Mine reflects beneficially off Neptune - thank the Gods ! ) It should not be 'spitting' at Venus. The 'marrying of the two sides' may relate more to your Mars Venus and how Mercury regulates BOTH of them ... then they can surround and support your Moon , then it can link to the Sun through your Mercury (as 'psychopomp'). Co-joining the Sun and Moon is the 'Great Work' after all ;)

Look for good aspects in this pattern, if important ones are missing (or are malific) , seek a pathway there via other beneficial aspects and use that as a way of modeling behaviour and outlook.

There's good advice here, in that Mercury is never more than 28 degrees from the Sun, so it's either in the same sign or an adjacent sign. In my case my Sun lies at 29 Libra 45, and Mercury lies at 21 Scorpio. Venus is never more than 48 degrees from the Sun, so there's a good chance that it too lies either in the same sign as the Sun or an adjacent sign (especially if the Sun is mid-sign), Again I have Venus in Scorpio, at 13 degrees. So of these closely related planets, two are in Scorpio and one in Libra. If you believe in Signs as general influences (rather than as modifiers to planets) then it becomes difficult to sort out how much of my 'Scorpio' side is due to a cuspal Sun and how much is due to Mercury/Venus (and Jupiter at 29 Scorpio). I could stretch this by mentioning that Chiron is also in Scorpio.

Any analysis of personality has to take account of more factors than the Sun and allow for the Ascendant, Moon and other planets. to a greater or lesser extent.

The concept of 'cuspal' births is a fairly modern one and stems from an over-emphasis on the Sun Sign and a gross underemphasis of the other key Sign based elements in a birth chart.

ravenest
08-02-2014, 09:57
Seeing beyond (or through) the 'metaphors', as well as astrology, alchemy, esoteric number theory and even Blavatsky (if one can decipher her) all offer similar advice ;)

celticnoodle
08-02-2014, 11:09
I haven't read through the whole thread,but had to post that I do believe people born on the cusp can have the personalities of both signs. My hub is a cusp baby, andmy dad and hisbrotherwere as well. All 3 of them exhibit traits frlmeach sign. My niece also is a cusp baby. She too, exhibits both traits, but slightly more for the month she claims as her sign.

I will have to read the rest of this thread, to see what else otners had to say, as I did only read a few posts. Interesting thread tho!

Minderwiz
08-02-2014, 19:25
I haven't read through the whole thread,but had to post that I do believe people born on the cusp can have the personalities of both signs. My hub is a cusp baby, andmy dad and hisbrotherwere as well. All 3 of them exhibit traits frlmeach sign. My niece also is a cusp baby. She too, exhibits both traits, but slightly more for the month she claims as her sign.

Have you checked the planetary positions, plus Ascendant and MC?

I will have to read the rest of this thread, to see what else otners had to say, as I did only read a few posts. Interesting thread tho!

A good point, as I'd not read the original posts from 2002 :)

One thing I noticed is that no one actually defined what 'cuspal' meant. The argument for it is based on the fact that planets are not seen as points in the sky but as discs, no matter how small. Using the Sun as an example, its disc is quoted as between 30 and 34 minutes of arc. So the argument goes that when the centre of the Sun is at 29 degrees 45 minutes (using my own example) the disc actually projects to touch the next sign (Scorpio) in my case. Indeed if the wider estimate is used, the Sun would actually project into the next sign.

This would mean that you are only a cuspal birth if the Sun's natal position is at least 29 degrees 43 minutes or better still 29 degrees 45 minutes. On average (and I stress average) this would mean that you have to be born within 6 hours either side of the sign change. For other planets the disc size is smaller.

Now it's important that you actually do check the Sun's position, using an appropriate Astrology program or a website such as www.astro.com. Do not simply base your view on your date of birth. The Sun's ingress into a sign is not the same day/time each year. I spent the first 20 years of my life believing that I was a 'Scorpio' because the Sun sign columns quoted a start date of 23 October and I was born on the 24th (just). It was not till I actually took up Astrology that I found that in my birth year the Sun did not move into Scorpio till 24th October - six hours after my birth. Other people born at the same time on the same day and in the same place as me, but in other years are Sun sign Scorpio.

celticnoodle
09-02-2014, 10:17
Wow! Minderwiz! I never knew all this!! My dad was born on the cusp of Libra/Scorpio, but he really had more Libran traits. But now and again that Scorpio trait would pop through! But who knows, I have no idea what time he was born--its not noted on his birth certificate as he & his twin brother were born at home by a midwife and their paternal gm.

As for my hubby--again we have no idea what time he was born. The doctor did not make note of it on the birth certificate. All his siblings know the time of their births--he is the only one w/o a time. He was the 3rd of 5 kids and so his mom says, "I don't remember!" and he says, its just part of the "Middle child syndrome" of which he suffers. lol. :rolleyes:

I also do not know much at all about Astrology. I'm interested in learning--but never seem to get far as I am interested in EVERYTHING. :D

Minderwiz
09-02-2014, 19:36
Without the birth time you can still make some progress here. Possible steps are:

1. Go to astro.com and cast a birth chart for your hubby using 12 noon as the time of birth this will tell you what the sign and degree of the Sun was on his date of birth. If it's less than 29 degrees 15 minutes then he is not cuspal because no matter how much later in the day he was born his Sun will not be touching the next sign (If he was born earlier then he won't be cuspal). You can also use the chart to check planets (if any) in the next sign - look for Mercury and Venus particularly but others will do.

2. Check back with his mother to see if she can be a little bit more precise - was he born before sunrise, was he born before lunch, was he born in the afternoon, was he born before sunset - all of this will help you with an approximate time and you can adjust the chart above with a better guess at the time.

3. Check the time and date of the solar ingress into the next sign in the year in which he was born - you might have to do some searching on the internet for this.

4. Drop me a PM and I'll do the above privately for you as I have the relevant resources

I'm not a believer in 'cuspal' like Aquarian Goddess earlier in the thread I believe that a planet is only in one sign at a time - it's either Libra or Scorpio but not both. Personality depends on other factors such as Ascendant and Moon and until the advent of the Sun sign columns, your sign at birth meant your Ascendant. Indeed that is the most important factor anyway, as it's what ties you to the heavens.

However 'pop' Astrology has adopted Sun signs and indeed the concept of the cusp, to try and explain personality differences from what's expected of a Sun sign. If you look at your hubby's birth chart you'll see that all the signs are there and all of them play some role, to a greater or lesser degree (through the planets and important points)/

celticnoodle
10-02-2014, 03:38
Without the birth time you can still make some progress here. Possible steps are:

1. Go to astro.com and cast a birth chart for your hubby using 12 noon as the time of birth this will tell you what the sign and degree of the Sun was on his date of birth. If it's less than 29 degrees 15 minutes then he is not cuspal because no matter how much later in the day he was born his Sun will not be touching the next sign (If he was born earlier then he won't be cuspal). You can also use the chart to check planets (if any) in the next sign - look for Mercury and Venus particularly but others will do.

yes, I did do that awhile back. I don't know if I still have it though.

2. Check back with his mother to see if she can be a little bit more precise - was he born before sunrise, was he born before lunch, was he born in the afternoon, was he born before sunset - all of this will help you with an approximate time and you can adjust the chart above with a better guess at the time. unfortunately both parents are now deceased. His older sister was very young at the time of his birth, (4yo) and so she has no idea either. No one around living that could help. :(

3. Check the time and date of the solar ingress into the next sign in the year in which he was born - you might have to do some searching on the internet for this.

hmmm...this might be interesting to do though. Never heard of this before--so I'll consider this. as I said before, I'm not much into astrology though--just a very newbie to it--with some interest.

4. Drop me a PM and I'll do the above privately for you as I have the relevant resources
wow. that is very, nice of you! Thank you!!

I'm not a believer in 'cuspal' like Aquarian Goddess earlier in the thread I believe that a planet is only in one sign at a time - it's either Libra or Scorpio but not both. Personality depends on other factors such as Ascendant and Moon and until the advent of the Sun sign columns, your sign at birth meant your Ascendant. Indeed that is the most important factor anyway, as it's what ties you to the heavens.

However 'pop' Astrology has adopted Sun signs and indeed the concept of the cusp, to try and explain personality differences from what's expected of a Sun sign. If you look at your hubby's birth chart you'll see that all the signs are there and all of them play some role, to a greater or lesser degree (through the planets and important points)/

yes, I do recall after doing his chart w/a birth time of noon, that I also took all the houses and googled them with which planet they were in to see how it fit. My daughter and I did this with our hubbies, ourselves and her children. Since then, I changed computers, and I'm not so sure I saved hwat I had before. Anyway, I do not even remember much now.

Sending you a PM. Thank you again!