astrology/tarot relations

star-lover

this is a fun/joke thread/falling flat on your face thread

i was racking my brain the other week and came up with 5 correspondences and got excited and then the well run dry - LOL thats the name of the game isn't it with so many things

planets in order with order of the cards
mercury - magician - yes yes and yes
earth - high priestess - why not?
venus - empress
mars - emperor
jupiter - heirophant - fits so much

then i got stuck!!!
saturn as lovers? lol - saturn in astrology is the glue to make people cement relationships and get married/committed - hmmmmmmmmm perhaps maybe - after all saturn is the planet of truth, reality, commitment and has had a rough ride - perhaps saturn is about true love??????
then got on to the next one

uranus - chariot -
well here i veered off the rails because to me uranus is the tower

just gassing
perhaps in 20 years i will know a LITTLE more

;)

jmd

I'm not sure I'm seeing the correlations being suggested...

star-lover says of the above list 'planets in order with order of the cards', yet am at a loss as to what planetary order is being suggested.

If following the Ptolemaic order, they are:
  • Moon
  • Mercury
  • Venus
  • Sun
  • Mars
  • Jupiter
  • Saturn

An earlier order would follow a similar listing, except that the Sun would head the series.

The Copernican order, and the order generally presented in astronomical texts, is:
  • Sun
  • Mercury
  • Venus
  • Earth & Moon
  • Mars
  • Jupiter
  • Saturn

None of these lists correspond to the suggestion with Earth between Mercury and Venus... am I missing an obvious listing or correlation?

Deana

I don't get it.

I can see Mercury for the Magician.

I don't see Earth for the High Priestess. To me, she is the opposite of earthy. She's ethereal.

Venus for the Empress. Ok.

Mars for the Emperor. I can see that.

Jupiter for the Hierophant? I don't get it. I'm trying to wrap my brain around it, but nothing's clicking.

Saturn for the Lovers??? I really don't get that. Of course, I don't get the Golden Dawn's attribution of Gemini for the Lovers and Cancer for the Chariot; my son and grandmother are Geminis, my Dad and sister-in-law are Cancers, and I can't see any correlation with those cards. Based on personalities, I would even make Gemini the Magician and make Cancer the Empress or even the High Priestess. The Moon, even. But the Chariot???

I guess I don't "get" most astrological correlations with Tarot; some cards are easy to place and others just don't fit.

Fulgour

We The Living

jmd said:
If following the Ptolemaic order...
The Copernican order...
...am I missing an obvious listing or correlation?
Have you tried looking out your window?

Moon
Venus
Mars
Mercury
Sun
Jupiter
Saturn

:laugh: It works!

Deana

Fulgour said:
Have you tried looking out your window?

Moon
Venus
Mars
Mercury
Sun
Jupiter
Saturn

:laugh: It works!

Or there's always the song from Blue's Clues:

Well, the Sun's a hot star
Mercury's hot too
Venus is the brightest planet
Earth's home to me and you
Mars is the red one
Jupiter's most wide
Saturn's got those icy rings
and Uranus spins on it's side
Neptune's really windy
and Pluto's really small
Well, we wanted to name the planets
and now we've named them all

I honestly could not list the planets in any kind of order until my kids got that video.

Fulgour

Getting "there" from "here"

Deana said:
I honestly could not list the planets in any kind of order until my kids got that video.
Yes, but...that is a list with the planets in order
according to their distance from the Sun ~and~
we are Earthlings... thus, look out your window!

Deana

Fulgour said:
Yes, but...that is a list with the planets in order
according to their distance from the Sun ~and~
we are Earthlings... thus, look out your window!

Yes, but...all I see out of my window is the Moon and the city lights. I saw Venus once while on vacation and freaked because I didn't know what that thing in the sky was; it looked too close to be a star and it wasn't moving like an airplane. :) I saw Mars a few years ago when it was really close. Mostly I just see the Moon and the city.

star-lover

thanks guys for the replies, lots of good food for thought

well i well and truly mucked this one up! DUH!!!

i thought Venus was after Earth and before Mars! - back to some basic astronomy for me and square one lol

Deana - I think card 5 ties in nicely with Jupiter - in astrology the 9th house which sagitarius/jupiter rule has so much connection to the Heirophant - at least I think so

law, religion, higher learning, social values, spiritual growth, blessings and so on - but of course could just be coincidence!

sorry for confusion, just rewind and erase lol

Sophie

Deana said:
I don't see Earth for the High Priestess. To me, she is the opposite of earthy. She's ethereal..
No, no - she is very much of the Earth - a priestess of the Earth! Not everything "of the earth" is "earthy". It's true I can't imagine the Priestess telling salty jokes (whereas that bawdy Empress...well...), but the Earth is surely more than just earthiness? It is 70% composed of water, for one, and the rest is desert (gimel, camel) and green...beautiful, fertile and very aqueous.

I think the Priestess goes well with our Mother Earth. As does the Empress -to the two female archetypes I would give the same planet, our mother - in her different facets.

jmd

In terms of looking out one's window, I have at various times observed the motion of stars and planets. Apart from their brightness and the altered positions of the planets upon the ecliptic relative the background stars, there is in fact nothing to suggest their relative distance when simply looking at them.

It is in the next steps - in the conceptual reflection on their observed relative positions, their relative brightness, and the apparent fixity of the other stars that insights from the observations can be made.

With this as our sole guide, the Sun and Moon stand apart, and the brightness of especially Venus and Jupiter, and the red-ness of Mars, makes for interesting comparisons.

In terms of correlations, this clear distinction between Sun, Moon, and moving planets, seems of the most important - and here, at least for me, a reminder that the sequence in Tarot has precisely those three represented with stars, Moon and Sun (XVII, XVIII and XVIIII respectively).

On the other hand, there are also the astrological characteristics of the planets - with Mars as warrior, for example. These I do tend to agree are reflected in various cards, with some having more characteristic fit than others.

The Moon as illusory also fits, for example, the Bateleur (magician) quite well. As does, for different reasons, the learning aspect of Jupiter. Or the willed focus of Mars.

In that sense, I can see and agree with the opening post's suggested connected reflections, seeing these not as fixed correlations, but rather suggestive of aspects of both card and planet. And certainly I here agree that the Papess (High Priestess) also has an Earth quality to her.