The ultimate storage for tarot...

HearthCricket

No, I haven't got one. But each Christmas I receive some inheritance money and this year I am thinking on buying some sort of furniture to keep all my decks in and was wondering what everyone thought the ultimate storage keeper would be. I need a place to put decks, cloths, sets, and books. Various ideas have been bookcase, glassed in bookcase (but will light eventually fade them?) lingerie chest or full tall chest. (Was staring at my husband's bureau, last night, realizing the two top small drawers would be great for oracle decks and cloths, the next three drawers for decks and the largest bottom drawer for sets and books. hehehehe. Do you think he will notice if I toss all his clothes out and take it over??? :D

So, what would you consider the best tarot storage idea, and why? Thanks!

VGimlet

Currently I use our china hutch, which works very well.
The glassed in shelves are perfect for nice deck/book sets, and the drawers are great for single decks, decks in bags, etc.
My china hutch also has lower cabinets with shelves, which work for storing tarot journals and sets that aren't so attractive.

However, I am not one for fancy china. Some people might want to actually have china and fancy glassware and tea cups. :D I am hoping that someday our neice will get her own house, so she can take the MIL's china.

Someday I would like my husband to build me a custom armoire, with shelves in the upper cabinet.

Grizabella

I think this is a very good question. I've been trying to decide it for myself. I've been putting my decks in a plastic storage bin but with those, you have to be careful because sometimes they can get slight condensation inside with changes in temperature and I worry that it would warp my decks. In fact, my World Spirit, which I hadn't taken out in quite awhile, somehow got sticky on the flap of the lid and it tore a little bit when I tried to open it when I did decide to use it. It was standing up on edge in the bottom with a couple of layers of other decks on top of it and nothing else was stuck like that, so I can only think it must have been caused by a little condensation or something.

I'll be interested to know what others answer about this. Before recently, I never had enough decks to worry much about it.

Disa

I have a small leather and wooden box on top of my desk here that I keep the most frequently used things in.

For the books, notebooks, journals, empty boxes, cloths, candles, oils, decks, and other things I don't use as often, I bought a black wooden chest that sits in the floor at the foot of the bed in here. The chest has hinges down the middle and each side opens from the top so you can see what's in there. There is also a drawer on the bottom that is deep enough to fit things. It stores quite a bit and isn't nearly full...yet. I love it, a treasure chest for my magical goodies.

blackstormhawk

Mine are kind of laying around all over the house ...

One of my friends has over 100 decks. She keeps them in those big rubbermaid tub things, especially since it's fairly easy to throw one into the back of her car and lug it around to other people's houses for show and share. It's not pretty, but it works, and it keeps water and light out.

Saphyne

We bought a nice chest of drawers, small ones up the top house all our incense, candles etc and the next full drawer down houses the tarot which are all in baggies. Books etc are in the following drawers. Most important there is plenty of room for housing more tarot.

the_surfacer

The idea of a "treasure chest" delights me in all kinds of ways. I think I know what sort of deck storage I'll be investing in one of these days. ;)

Grizabella

blackstormhawk said:
Mine are kind of laying around all over the house ...

One of my friends has over 100 decks. She keeps them in those big rubbermaid tub things, especially since it's fairly easy to throw one into the back of her car and lug it around to other people's houses for show and share. It's not pretty, but it works, and it keeps water and light out.

The Rubbermaid tub things are what I use. But like I said, you have to be very careful of temperature changes because they cause condensation on the inside of the tub and that moisture can warp and damage the cards.

floracove

Would one of those old 'secertary desk' be of use?
I think that's what they are called.
They have all sorts of small drawers, maybe the cards would fit in those, and have their own little drawer.
And it seems that there's shelves in those desks as well that should serve for books and such.

Emily

I keep all mine in a glass fronted bookcase - it was fine until I collected so many decks so now it looks a little messy. I'd love just a plain bookcase where I could stack my decks and books. :)