internet vs. bookstore: What do you think?

rosesred

So, Yesterday I bought the druidcraft. I bought it at a stall at a big convention.

I also paid 15 dollars more then I would if I ordered it through amazon. So why did I buy it?

I did not like the deck when I first encountered it on the internet. I found the colors overly dramatic, and the main figures out of perspective. Yesterday at the stall I was able to handle the deck, to actually see what it looks like in person, and I fell for it. Hard.

I could have waited till I got home, and then order it. I didn't. I wanted it, now! Of course, it didn't hurt that the creator of the deck, Philip Carr-gromm was there to sign it, and to talk a little about the cards, but that wasn't the main thing. The big thing was that I wasn't going to let these cards go out of my sight again. Although I do love the deck, I still thing a lot of the main figures are out of perspective, and that it was pretty expensive. I don't know if I'd have bought it yesterday if I realised that amazon would be that cheap. Of course, I might be very angry with myself for not getting the deck when I had it in my hands, and I do love the fact that it's signed. It's such a nice memory to a wonderful day, now.

My point is: How much is the 'bookshop experience' worth to you?

For me it's a constant dillemma; I love to be able to touch the cards, but I also love my money ;)

poivre

If I'm in a hurry and can't get into the city, I go to amazon.
Also I shop at Tarotgarden.

I go to a unique little bookstore, in the city. I just like the people
and the store. Don't mind spending the extra there because it is
privately owned.

Other than that I try to wait. But when I'm in the mood,
I pick up the deck, where ever I'm at.

I feel no more than $10. extra at a store is fair. Over $10. I would
have to really "need" the deck or book.

Abrac

Personally, I would rather have it right there in front of me to look at and handle before I buy, but with so many tarots and books on the market that is not a reality. In my opinion, buying online takes a lot more time and effort than just walking into the shop and looking. There are so many choices online, and ads can run anywhere from unhelpful to misleading to outright deceptive. You really have do your homework. I don't look at it as either/or. Each has benefits.

floracove

rosesred said:
My point is: How much is the 'bookshop experience' worth to you? *snip* ;)

Well I gotta tell ya, I love books and decks, and the smell of them, whether, their new or antique. I have a book of poetry & writings, dating back to the 17th century, I do believe. Can't remember his name at the moment want to say Edward ? Someone...or there about.

I enjoy the experience of seeing and embracing ,them as well.

Living a good way from a bookstore, or any type of business that would have been nice to be near for certain things, has had it’s consequences (you have no idea how many times, just the idea, of that fact has chapped my cheeks, and from time to time stung my eye with a tear).

However, the good news is, that since I’ve been online I had been actively pursuing, making up for the difference of not having the advantage of miles (and lots of money).

I’ve sewn tarot bags and crystal pouches, sculpted figurines of mermaids and Jack Skeleton and bowls, all sorts of things. I’ve painted and decoupage boxes. I’ve bought at a decent price i could afford for some things, as well as paying postage and traded for all the things that were not assessable anywhere else, other than here where we all gather, congregate and enjoy ourselves. Online, using the internet.

So, I’ve enjoyed both and feel they are both worthwhile, but the internet has proven more fruitful.

Oh, and I can't leave out the wonderful exchanges and swaps I've participated in while online.

AJ

I think my Druidcraft and Druid Animal Oracle are beautiful and would have paid the price to have them signed by and get to meet and talk to the author.
Unfortunately that isn't what happened for me...I bought them thru the site here.
There isn't anywhere around here to purchase decks in person, I'm thankful for all the options we have on the web. Which is where all my decks have come from.

Sentient

This is an interesting topic, and gets at the heart of how we determine value.

I value neighborhood bookstores, but usually not to the point of taking extra time and effort to get there, only to pay 50% more than the book is being offered for online.

If I connect with a new artist's work (music, writing, painting - it doesn't matter) I'll pay full price for the work (and spread the word if I still feel the same way after having spent time with the piece), knowing that emerging artists often face difficult economic realities. The same would hold true if I was lucky enough to connect with the artist in person. The mutual effort to know each other as people is really gratifying when it happens, especially when mutual respect is present as well.

Conversely if I choose for whatever reason to buy a work that I feel has been mass-produced (in the negative, figurative sense), edited, sanitized or otherwise adulterated, I'll deliberately try to buy it second-hand. That may not sound very generous, but I've become more conscious of the impact of consumer choices.

If all the music one buys (for example) is Top 40, then who should one blame when every radio station plays only Top 40, and every record shop sells nothing else? I happen to like Top 40, but I'm not too happy with the lack of support for quality alternative artists. As votes are to politics, dollars (or pounds, euros, etc.) are to free market economies. So I guess my dollars are votes for more diversity.

Rabbit

I like things delivered to me. Plus, on the internet, you can find things that are not in stores. For example, just recently, I found the Ancestral Path and the Glastonbury for really good prices.

manhattan9thgate

For myself, it's very difficult to find a bookstore or pagan store that has a really extensive and in-stock inventory so I buy from Amazon a lot, Tarot Garden and Alida.
You can also find enough images at Aeclectic, Tarot Garden and other web based review sites to give you a fairly good idea if the deck appeals to you.

Bookstores only carry the most popular titles and they don't re-stock regularly, if at all. The cards from the Pagan stores all stink of cheap incense, I hate that, they sit on those dusty (nobody cleans) shelves so long the cards smell like they've been fumigated......and they don't always have good inventory or stock either.

Bat Chicken

Generally, I like to shop on-line for the convenience and the good prices - not to mention the wider selection. The nearest bookstore is pretty far away (and pretty good). But occasionally, when I am in the area, I like to support that bookstore.

After months of seaching for an affordable Ancestral Path, I walked into her store and she had a brand new copy with the book at the regular price. It pays off to do both, I think...!

If I had the opportunity to get a Druidcraft signed - I'd pay the extra $15 - without a second thought - and then go home and buy ANOTHER on-line that I would actually use!:D