Is a christian able to use tarot for divining?

yokyoh

Some people say that christians are forbiden to use tarot...I wondered if it is true.

Zephyros

Use the Search function at the top of the page. there have been innumerable threads about this subject.

In my opinion, whether you are Jewish, christion or anything else, it all comes down to how you feel and your own personal interpretation. Let's say some one on this forum tells you not to read at all, will you stop?

In the absence of signposts, we must choose our own paths.

jmd

Court de Gebelin was a Christian, so was Eliphas Levi, Paul Christian, Wirth, Waite, Case, Carton, Mouni Sadhu, Tomberg and numerous others who have written about Tarot, designed decks, or in other ways influenced its development and usage.

One of course need not be a Christian to also use Tarot, but it arises, and continues to blossom, in Christian settings. That some bigots prefer to blind their own eyes is their problem.

Niti

You probably won't get the most out of your readings if you are terrified that you are doing something wrong and will be eternally punished for it every time you try to read the cards.

But...I dunno...there are some very Christian-based decks out there and even the ones that don't focus on it do have bibical references in them, which would lead me to believe that it wouldn't be wrong for you to use the cards. After all, it's not like you're communicating with the devil or worshipping the cards (although I'm sure some people might say you are).

I think, if you are really worried, the best person to ask would not be another tarot reader, but perhaps one of the priests at the Church you attend. Again, this probably wouldn't be definite, as I'm sure various preists have different views on the matter, but depending on their answer, they may be able to explain why or why not better than some of us here can :)

Otherwise, if you are still worried but determined to try, I might suggest starting with one of the Christian-based or Angel-based decks.

jmd

Some important and popular Christian-based decks:
Marseille
Wirth
Waite-Smith (aka 'Rider-Waite')​

These should provide a good start for those who prefer to have a Christian oriented deck.

Of course, non-Christians can as easily use them, and see in the imagery non-Christian symbolic elements... my point is more that many (and these three are simply three common ones) decks already arise within a Christian setting or impulse.

Deana

What we need is a sticky of all the Christian-Tarot-reader threads.

Look at it this way: Tarot is more than 500 years old and originates in Europe, which was heavily Christian at the time. The rise of Wicca and neopaganism is about 50 years old. So the people who have been doing the most Tarot for most of its history have been Christian. Now, of course, it's popular worldwide with people of all religions.

"The lot is cast into the lap, but its every decision is from the Lord." Proverbs 16:33

Casting lots is an ancient form of divination. There is a *lot* of divination in the Bible. Don't let some sweaty, shouting, red-in-the-face preacher tell you about Christian theology. I have studied a lot of Christian theology, and by and large, the loud shouting in-your-face bigots are not well-versed in theology at all (I've heard people shout at me that they don't need theology; they have the Bible. These are the people to ignore. If they were secure in their relationship with God, they would not be so angry, defensive and insecure).

In the end, you have to find your own way.

PS. I wrote the above without realizing you were in China. Many of my Asian Christian friends are especially wary of doing anything they didn't learn from a clergyman because they have heard that many things are evil. I had a friend from China who had been told that the following were evil: meditating, yoga, martial arts. She was afraid to relax her muscles to sleep at night because some preacher told her that when she relaxed her muscles one group at a time, a spirit guide would appear to lead her away from God. This was complete nonsense. I know a large group of Christians from Korea, and they, too, had been told that things like meditating are evil. It's a real shame.

chrisam-crystals

well the christian bible states that any form of divination is against the laws of god, so i guess christians aren't supposed to do it huh?

so is someone who professes to be christian and uses divining methods of whatever sort, still a christian if they are breaking one of their god's laws?

personally i would say that they aren't a true christian, otherwise they wouldn't do something that god says is "evil" and in the realms of the devil.

like i was brought up as a wiccan and our golden rule is "an it harm none", so if i did some spells or whatever to hurt someone then i can't be a true wiccan because i have gone against the law of my religion.

but personally i don't see divining as being a problem for ANYONE......i have never agreed with organised religion and such, and so that is the reason that i no longer keep to the srtingent rules and laws of wicca.

i am more of a pagan "if it suits me just fine, then i will do it" type of person. lol

manhattan9thgate

the attitude towards Tarot and other naughty practices depends on the particular Christian you ask but the bottom line is you're NOT supposed to be messing around at all.

Fundamentalist - Born Again - Baptists - Mormons see this as a direct path to Hellfire and brimstone aka The Lake of Fire. Their viewpoint is engraved in stone tablets so if you're one of the above and dabbling with instruments of the Devil, knock it off (but it's probably too late for you anyway).
Personally I think they like to see people fall by the wayside because it theoritically makes more room on the #1 bus to Heaven when The Rapture comes.

Old school pre-Vatican II (the good 'ole days) Latin-Mass Roman Catholics play around with this stuff all the time even though The Church frowns upon it. Provided that you're just "playing" with cards and crystal balls and not making human sacrifice and raising demons, just go to confession, make regular donations, raise your children to be good Catholics, say a few Hail Mary's and don't make a big deal out of it because God loves you and Christ died for your sins.....oh and don't forget to ask for Absolution.
The Episcopalians and Anglicans are generally of the same mind.

The Lutherans, Methodists, Dutch Protestant, Shakers etc for the most part aren't as uptight. Their primary focus is on work ethic, taking personal responsibility for your life and charitable works. The attitude is you're not supposed to dabble and we're not totally sure about the consequences but if something bad happens you have no one to blame but yourself so let that be a lesson to you.

I have no idea what the Eastern Orthodox schools think but I bet it's much stricter than Rome.

AJ

I'm Christian and enjoy reading the cards very much. I think it depends on your own attitude toward the cards. If in your heart you think anything out there is a sin you shouldn't be doing it. I consider the cards lots of fun, get a big kick out of them, enjoy the talented art work of the makers whose cards I've chosen to purchase, and when I use the cards there is no fa-la woo-woo involved, it is more like having Dr. Phil sitting across the table, the cards make me think out what is really under the rocks or right in front of me, rather than just surface thoughts.

I wouldn't whip them out at the local Methodist Harvest Festival dinner because some of the church members might be frightened or disturbed :) but I also wouldn't carry a painting of the last supper into a Jewish synagogue either. Common sense and respect must prevail.

edited to add: The 10 commandants are the basics I live by, and like 'do no harm' there isn't anything there about dancing, movies, make-up, or tarot cards. I know folks who consider all these things the direct path to hell. Most of the holy books were written by men with their own agenda and influnced by their times.