Do you let others touch your deck ?

Nininka

Hello all,

I wonder if it is OK to let other people touch your cards ?
I am not a professional reader, but I "read" for my friends.
I say "read" cause I really let them do the spread themselves, i.e. handle the cards. I kind of only help with the interpreation and share the knowledge of the individual cards I have learned so far. We often end up talking about the results of the spread/reading.
I have even let some of my good friends have the deck for themselves for a while, so that they could have a quiet time with the deck at their home.
They would use the accompanyoing tarot book to give them the spread explanation. They would then give back the cards to me.
Is it true that the cards absorb the other persons energy ?
I personally feel that even after someone else has touched my decks it still connects very well with me.
Maybe it is because only good friends of mine touched the deck and thus for me it would be a good energy ?
How do you share/not share your decks ?
Thanks,
Kat

gregory

If you are comfortable with it - that is all that matters. To each his own and then some. As with so many other things (Incense ? Cleansing ? Lighting ? Storage ? Cloths ? the list is endless.)

(Yes I let others touch mine, BTW :D Then again, I don't do face to face readings, so I've never had a querent touch them !)

Sulis

I have absolutely no problem with other people touching or handling my cards.

Zephyros

I must admit that I am kind of paranoid, so I am mostly afraid that people will bend or do things to my cards, so I tend to limit how much they touch them. But I don't really have a real reasdon for this, it depends on my mood. Usually I have no problem with this.

rosesred

I personally have little to no problem with other people handling my deck. However, on some occasions my decks DO seem to have a problem with it :p.

Some people report a very icky feeling for some decks. This particularly happened when people with a tendency to whine a lot picked up my copy of the faerie oracle. Now, I personally think this has more to do with their energy then with mine. That particular oracle can be very, very to the point, and whiney persons tend to not be able to handle blunt truths. Something in them probably reckognizes that the faeries might not be the best choice for them, hence the stickiness. (I did check my cards for physical ickiness ;) )

Disa

I don't mind others touching my cards. I think the person you are reading for should touch the cards. I would think that the energy stored in the cards is no different than the energy stored in a piece of furniture bought from an antique store, etc and brought to your home. If I feel a negative vibe from the furniture or the cards then I smudge them with sage. Umm just to add, I also smudge the house if someone who has just gone left behind some of their negativity...it just makes me feel better ;)

Chronata

If I am about to read with a deck, I let the querant handle them as little as possible...mostly because I don't read reversals, and I don't want to mess up the deck before I am ready to use it.

I am weird that way, I guess. Like having all the cards upright and neat as I shuffle them. It's almost like a kind of focusing ritual for me at this point...

But after the reading...or if I am not going to read immediately with the deck...
I have no problems at all with other people handling the cards!

a_shikhs

I don't let people touch my decks due to a bad experience in the past.

Infact two weeks ago, I had gone for a tarot workshop where I had taken the Spiral Tarot along. Many people had a look at that deck and kept shuffling it. When I came home and opened it, it felt very weird as if that deck didnt belong to me. I then immediately cleansed it with incense and crystals and then it was perfect and fine. So I guess it does depend on the other person's energy.

Alta

I generally don't, but then I am rather protective of my cards. I do let fellow tarotists handle them though.

Astraea Aurora

Hi Nininka,

I let others thouch my cards, let them look through the cards, let them shuffle and lay out (if they want to). So, no fear from my point of view. But I would never give it to them for days (or ... oh, worse ... weeks) - just because I`m afraid they don`t give them back to me. I love my decks too much. :)

I think it depends from one to another person. I also heard that you must not cross both arms and legs for not disturbing any energies. I don`t believe in that, I don`t see a difference in reading with arms and legs crossed or not crossed. As with touching, I don`t see a difference or feel it.

Take what feels right for you and leave the rest behind. In my opinion it`s all about YOUR connection to your cards, not about connections other people might get when handling your cards.

Blessings, Astraea Aurora