Decks as a fashion accessory

Grizabella

I was amused with myself this morning when I reflected back on my very earliest tarot days and realised that I was so naive that I chose a deck as a fashion accessory back then, trying to express who I was and impress people with it. :p I didn't realise that that wasn't the point. The point was to choose a deck I could learn with the best and that in time, having a deck or decks that was expressive of who I was would just naturally come about but even so, that it really didn't matter so much as being able to read well.

I also expected that learning to read would be a snap and would probably just take me a month or so. Little did I know!

Does anyone else want to admit to their early misconceptions and amusing revelations? :D

connegrl

Well, I haven't done the decks as fashion accessory thing. But I thought all I needed to do was find a deck I connected with and 'boom' everything would just become clear. LOL How funny. I'm sure it works that way with some folks. I'm working on a post about the next step in my journey. I think its going to be a step off a cliff. Stay tuned.

Jen

manhattan9thgate

we all fall into that, I admit it. it's the society we live in. being cool and happening. just look at the Apple IPod

RubyRuby

I also expected that learning to read would be a snap and would probably just take me a month or so. Little did I know!

LOL! Yup. Tarot was going to be my "summer" project. 10 summers, and I might get a handle on it. :)

Knight of Wands

I was hoping that the Tarot would tell me that the guy I was obsessed with had feelings for me.

The Tarot didn't, it told the truth ;) Actually, my first reading was 'Tell me about Relationship with Mike' and I got The Devil })

Actualy quite embarassing when I think about it. But then, I believe everything happens for a reason, and without that obsession, I would never have got a Tarot deck, and therfore never become the person I am today :)

BrightEye

Lyric said:
I was amused with myself this morning when I reflected back on my very earliest tarot days and realised that I was so naive that I chose a deck as a fashion accessory back then
which deck was that?

ziplizard

Things I thought when I first started:
1. I would instantly be able to predict the future (nothing's ever that easy)
2. The LWB would have all the information a newbie would need to know.
3. Death, Devil, and/or Tower would come up in nearly all of my readings (they do on tv!)

starrystarrynight

Lyric said:
Decks as a fashion accessory
I had visions of a necklace and hoop earrings fashioned out of cards...

Annabelle

ziplizard said:
Things I thought when I first started:
1. I would instantly be able to predict the future (nothing's ever that easy)
2. The LWB would have all the information a newbie would need to know.
Me too :). I thought the LWB contained everything I needed to know when I bought my first deck (the Aquarian) back in the 80s. I thought that it was standard operating procedure when reading tarot to flip to the little diagram of the CC, lay out the cards, then flip through the LWB and read the meanings off to myself as I turned the cards over (thank goodness I never read for others back then). And at that time I did see the cards as strictly a fortune-telling device.

la-luna

manhattan9thgate said:
we all fall into that, I admit it. it's the society we live in. being cool and happening. just look at the Apple IPod

Well I don't have an iPod but a Creative Zen... (sounds more spiritual no LOL )

But at a certain period I changed decks every time I changed of outfit so they would mach otherwise I thought it would be impossible to use the cards.