PDA

View Full Version : Another one to get fired at

Sorceress_Jade
22-08-2002, 03:40
My suggestion doesn't necessarily relate to subscribers, but it IS a suggestion.

I'd like to see the reading exchange become a members only (citzen and above) forum. I get really edgy when I see residents with like 3 posts in there. Particularly when they use the exchange improperly and are simply asking for readings. It's obvious that Pollux is struggling with this right now as well.

I understand both sides of the issue, but it seems to me that it should be something that a poster has achieved. By showing a true interest in Tarot, rather then just wanting readings, they can become part of an 'exchange'.

That's my suggestion. :)

Keslynn
22-08-2002, 04:09
I like the spirit of your idea, Jade, but the practicing of it would take some work. What I mean is... Citizen is 100 posts right? That could take a lot of time to build up for some people who have limited internet time. Perhaps there can be a restriction set at a lower number of posts? Like 50 or so?

I can see how people just asking for free readings is annoying, especially considering that there is an announcement in two places saying not to ask for them. *sigh* But everyone's an exception right? Until other measures can be put into place, perhaps there can be a community policing in this matter? For example, don't do readings for people who do not offer a trade or who have not offered to do readings for others. This would be fairly easy to verify.

Just some thoughts. I don't know if it helped at all.

:) Kes

LaLaBella
22-08-2002, 11:24
Soceress Jade, I know exactly where you are coming from. But here are also people on this forum such as myself who are not heavy posters but come here on a regular basis. I do think that someone should have a certain amount of posts before they can participate in the reading exchange.

jade
22-08-2002, 17:00
i think that once the membership subsciption is put into action this won't be an issue anymore cause then people will have to pay before they can access that area.

in light,
jade

jade
22-08-2002, 17:07
what i posted is inaccurrate. i just read the changes with subscriptions and this isn't part of it..........although i think that it should be.

solandia,

reading exchange for members only?

jade

Diana
22-08-2002, 19:14
edited

Alta
22-08-2002, 20:49
Pollux split the thread and put that half into Your Readings.

There are a few points here. Reading Exchange is to allow people interested in tarot to practice on each other, in a mutual way. The Exchange not only comes in the form of reading for each other, but in the valuable and knowledgable feedback we give each other after readings. When folks who as far as I can tell are only marginally interested in tarot come, it changes the whole flavour of that forum. As moderator, I guess Pollux has to deal with it, but everyone else needs to help with that as well.

Dollchica has a point about new members vis a vis older members who just do not post heavily. I struggle a bit with that about the avatars and so on. Look at someone like Aquarian Goddess who contributes so much but has a relatively low post count (there are others but she is the only one my mind is bringing up right now).

I think Reading Exchange should be left open, but needs to be watched for abuse. It attracts newbies and gives them a chance to practice their skills.

lunalafey
22-08-2002, 22:45
first off, I always thought that AG deserves an Av. in a honorary fashion. She DOES contribute SO much.

as for the reading exchange problem.
and I dread saying it,(might mean more work? but it's messy now too)
Have 2 exchange sections.
some one else decide where to make the cut...
I've said enough already

Umbrae
23-08-2002, 00:25
Then again, once in a while I get compelled to do a freebie reading for a new person who I can tell just wants a free reading. It has been a while since I have been real compelled, but it happens...and that avenue should be open...for both parties.

HOLMES
23-08-2002, 05:53
sorceress jade on this one and not only becauseshe is my friend
the reading exchange should be moved to subscribers that way we get only serious inquiry.
this wil stop in the future new member s joining only for readings

though it was only for members she suggested .. so perghaps a comprise hundred posts or subscribers
(though i picture some new member joining saying i paid i am owed a reading ):O(

lunalafey
23-08-2002, 07:38
ok so I did it after all........

Originally posted by Umbrae
Then again, once in a while I get compelled to do a freebie reading for a new person who I can tell just wants a free reading... ... that avenue should be open...for both parties.

have a section just for asking
have a section just for offering

There are times when one is just 'floating around'
and then gets drawn towards something/someone...
for whatever reason, that is the way it is supposed to be...

zorya
25-08-2002, 13:48
ahem *zorya clears her throat nervously* i have done several readings for newbies. i just wanted to practice with people i knew nothing about.

Alta
25-08-2002, 20:37
Yes, and I did a reading for divinerguy when he requested one.
I guess it's just that they should be folks who ae genuinely interested in tarot, and didn't just come to the site for a free reading, that's all.

Jewel
27-08-2002, 06:53
I understand your frustrations with individuals that just come in wanting free readings ... but I really hate the idea of seeing sections closed off to anyone. Lets not create an "us" vs. "they" mentality here. Lets fully explore our options.

the hermit
27-08-2002, 08:32
Originally posted by Jewel
I understand your frustrations with individuals that just come in wanting free readings ... but I really hate the idea of seeing sections closed off to anyone. Lets not create an "us" vs. "they" mentality here. Lets fully explore our options.
I agree that creating an "us" vs "them" situation would not be good.
I too understand the frustration, but don't wish to see too many sections closed off.
Perhaps lunalafey's suggestion of separate askings and offering sections might be worth investigating. It would give readers a certain amount of leeway in choosing who they might read for.

mooncat2
29-08-2002, 12:44
I totally agree with Marian in her first post. The reading exchange is for practice and to learn and gain experience. As well as their own readings and the feedback they receive, I feel new readers gain an enormous amount from studying the readings and the feedback for more experienced readers.

For that reason I get very annoyed with people offering readings and then immediately go on to offer PM or private email responses. I think all the readings should be posted unless the reader feels that something extremely sensitive has turned up.

And the same goes for those who ask for private readings. Thats not what an exchange is all about.

Alta
29-08-2002, 20:04
Thanks mooncat, I agree with you very much. I think all readings should be posted unless the response gets very sensitive. It is a learning forum, and I certainly learn from reading the throws and the feedback. I check that forum frequently and like it very much.

Pollux
30-08-2002, 18:40
Ok, I was called in, and I will have to write a long long long reply.
I am sorry I cannot reply to everything personally when I feel I need to, but I will try anyway.

This post is a post-in progress...

========================

In response to the first messages, as for participating to the Reading exchange, I don't think either the post counts and the subscription would work. As pointed out, some members do not contribute extensively while they are regulars, and the newbies might demand readings because they have payed the subscription.
This is all very well, yet I DO believe that a restriction must be brought about. And if the interest in tarot is the criteria and the value we must preserve, then 100 posts are not many in my opinion, especially now that the boards have grown so much.
And probably, restricting the section to subscribers would be a good input for subscription, even though I am puzzled about the real effect it would have. In truth, there's a constant number of "readers" offering, and this would seem to harm specifically them - if not subscribed - and only marginally the newibes or people with 1,2,9 posts asking/taking up a free reading...

Originally posted by Diana
I personally get annoyed when brand new members do this. I get even more annoyed when older members accept to do it for them.
Rhiannon replied very kindly to someone recently, suggesting that they do their own reading and ask for opinions. Only the person did their reading in the Reading Exchange, and not in the Your Readings, so I don't know how many answers they got to their question.
I personally get so much more annoyed than you possibly! *LOL*
And most of them ARE new members, or members with a dozen posts (usually in CHAT :P). Sometimes, after a while you see them running in the other sections, so it''s ok after all, and their interest is true.
In the case you mention, I gave a HUGE KISS to Rhiannon, since I could not stay online THAT DAY FOR FOUR HOURS, and it all developed in THOSE four hours... *LOL* It was very very very annoying, especially when members REPLY!!!

Originally posted by Marion
(...) When folks who as far as I can tell are only marginally interested in tarot come, it changes the whole flavour of that forum. As moderator, I guess Pollux has to deal with it, but everyone else needs to help with that as well.

I don't want to alarm/offend or else, but Marion, honestly, I don't think I can do much against that.
You know how careful with moderating I am, and how many times before moving a thread to your section, I contacted you and else... I am twice, ten times more suspicious and wary of new and relatively new members, and detest it, as I pointed out, when they misuse the section, for lazyness (= didn't read the guidelines) or covenience (= wanna get the token reading), I don't think I must explain why - and consider that is the calmest section, without arguments of sorts.
Yet, I CANNOT decide who posts, offers and takes, and who does not. I AM NOT given that power, and probably that is fair enough! :) I cannot and must not discern who posts or not there, os it is not my task. In brief, I am no one to judge and evaluate their interest in tarot and take measures in that sense.
If measures must be taken, that will be in ways such as access restrictions, like Sorceress Jade proposed. And honestly I am 100% for it - especially if it is made an "extra" for subscribers.
As a moderator, I don't know what I could do against it, sincerely. I am constantly afraid I am too sterne and demanding, moving threads, splitting, sewing and else, and sometimes closing them. And I also fear people hate me at times for that... But I don't think I can go hunting and stop a certain member cos I am judging his interest in tarot marginal. It simply is not my task there.

I think Reading Exchange should be left open, but needs to be watched for abuse. It attracts newbies and gives them a chance to practice their skills.
The point is, you know... When people ask for readings, and a newbie, possibly marginally interested, takes one, I am no one to deny that. It should be something coming from readers - even though I see it awkward: how could they say yes to X and no to Y and why - or, here we go again, a matter of restictions.

As for readings to newbies (zorya, Umbrae...), that is all up to you readers to accept it and carry it out. You offered readings and they took one. Nothing to be fixed or said about it.
Yes, and I did a reading for divinerguy when he requested one.
*LOL* Well, that was a perfect case in which I should have closed the thread, since divinerguy was ASKING for a reading, and that is not allowed.
I don't remember if I did close it or not, it happened during my holidays I think - anyway, whatever happened, I could have let that "pass" since I knew how much both of you are deep and engrossed in tarots. But...
OI guess it's just that they should be folks who ae genuinely interested in tarot, and didn't just come to the site for a free reading, that's all.
But how can I discern who is interested and who is not?
Try to understand what I mean: who is allowing me to do that? And who guarantees for my sense of discernment?
And, lastly, even if I personally have an idea, and proofs (provided it could be), how can I deny a reading once it has been OFFERED, TAKEN and ACCEPTED by the reader?

Originally posted by mooncat2
For that reason I get very annoyed with people offering readings and then immediately go on to offer PM or private email responses. I think all the readings should be posted unless the reader feels that something extremely sensitive has turned up.
And the same goes for those who ask for private readings. Thats not what an exchange is all about.
I personally asked for readings, a couple of times, and probably one out of three was sent to me privately. I think it is a personal choice, of the reader as well as of the querent, and see nothing wrong with that. The feedback from my part was always extensive when I asked for "private", PM or E-mail readings, and even more so cos I was able to talk of my stuff without everyone out here to read it - therefore, the reader received feedback and could learn from it anyway. In truth, I am quite glad that I asked for private readings, and did not get them posted on the boards.

As for the word "exchange", it refers to member X offering a reading, which is taken by Y, who on their turn will give a reading for X,in exchange. I don't think this relates to the posting or not of the reading.

I see I have mainly quoted Marion's posts (*LOL* :*) but this is nthing personal, at all. I just thought the main points I had to discuss and talk about where easily found there, so please dont think this is personal. I hope no one is offended... And I promise I will keep my eyes on this thread in case of misunderstandngs or needed clarificayions.

MeeWah
08-09-2002, 00:32
As moderator & a member, I have not had time to spend on Readings Exchange as the other Tarot forums usually consume my time. As far as I can recall, I have responded to one reading there for an established member, & the throw was actually done by someone else.

I agree very strongly with Marion's points & the majority of y'all's thoughts!! Unfortunately, attempts to abuse this feature will occur--that is the nature of the beast. On Your Readings, there have been postings of throws by new members or members with few posts for help. I respond when moved to; do not actually rely on the number of postings but the cards & the sense that the person is genuinely trying to understand the cards. Sometimes the message within the cards over-rides any other considerations; however, I tend to ignore the outright requests for readings. I notice Rhiannon has been very much on the ball when it comes to informing those who ask for same. I also advocate the posting of all such readings.

I think the exchange of readings should not only be part of the subscriber features but should also include a level of posts (although given the membership size, 100 posts is not much as Pollux pointed out). Otherwise, the potential is for just anyone looking for the privilege--& it should be seen as a privilege! We are a teaching venue as well as a means of the sharing of knowledge. Those concepts need emphasis, not the payment of membership, as what Aeclectic offers is priceless! I have heard that many boards in general have gone to subscriber status simply because of the cost involved in maintaining a board. On Aeclectic, some who ask for help do contribute of their efforts in those directions, but there are those who do not. What is given too freely is oft not appreciated for its full worth. Lunalafey's suggestion of offering 2 means of asking for readings & offering readings may be areas to explore.