US Games Decks Printed In Italy Suk

Abrac

I picked up a copy of the latest printing (Italy) of the Hanson-Roberts today and have to say I was not impressed. Lately I have noticed US Games has been having their decks printed in Italy (since around 2004). All of them I have seen really suk, imo. Can anyone relate? I got my Morgan Greer (printed in Italy) out the other day and the lamination is so sticky the whole deck was stuck together in a big glob. I bought the new Universal Waite because in another thread some folks mentioned the colors were a little richer than before. It looks to me like they slapped a heavy coat of lamination on in an attempt to make the deck look "radiant." If this trend continues, I seriously doubt I will be buying any more decks from US Games, those printed in Italy anyway.

Annabelle

Yes, the lamination has changed on USG decks in recent years - I noticed the thick, shiny, sticky lamination on my recent printing of the Morgan Greer, too . . . as well as on the Forest Folklore, the Fenestra, and others.

I like shiny decks - but I wish they didn't have the tendency to stick. I could do without the smell, too.

HudsonGray

Have you emailed them? They have email addresses on their main website, they'd appreciate the feedback I'm sure. It's good to hear from actual customers (even with complaints) than just from vendors.

Annabelle

Good point, Hudson. We complain and complain about these types of issues here, but the best thing is to let the companies who make the cards know what we think.

HearthCricket

I noticed the sticky lamination on a few of my USG decks, lately, like my Goddess and Hanson Roberts. However, my Fenestra is fine, so I still wonder if some decks have heavier lamination than others and when applied, now, it is stickier. But, as Annabelle mentioned, definately complain to USG and let them know how you feel. Just say it politely or they may not listen!

Abrac

HudsonGray, I have to respectfully disagree about them listening to actual customers. As RiccardoLS said in another thread about backs, the vendors tell them (Lo Scarabeo) what sells and that is what they produce.

I do not intend for this to sound like "complaining." My intention is not to complain, but to help make individuals aware so they can make informed choices. The best way for an individual consumer to vote is with their pocketbook.

I have tried emailing US Games before, and got absolutely nothing from them. All of my letters were returned undelivered except the one I actually sent to Stu Kaplan himself. He didn't reply. A person could call customer service and voice their beef, but I strongly believe it would be a waste of time. Not wanting to sound pessimistic, just realistic.

HudsonGray

Well, nothing ventured, nothing gained. It wouldn't hurt to try.

I've emailed US Games before and it took 3 weeks but I did get an answer back from one of the lady editors. Make sure you send it to the right person, their contact list has a long list of names for the different offices.

(amended) I went to their site to check, and they seem to have revamped it considerably. When I'd emailed I hadn't used the 'contact us' generic format, I had found a page and a half of names under their 'about us' company info and sent to the person I felt was the best to answer my question. They seem to have taken that page down and it's only the generic form on the site now. Pity.

euripides

Interesting. What recent purchases have people found to be NICE printings - good cards, good laminating?

zannamarie

I haven't noticed any problems with my Archeon deck. I bought it about 5 months ago from a local store.

Alta

Yes, my Archeon was printed in Italy and it is perfect. No problems at all.

Also the Transformational, printed in Italy, perfectly done.