PDA

View Full Version : Rock Identification!

Azarial
15-09-2006, 09:34
Hello everyone :-)

I got these rocks from my nephew, and I'm not sure what they are. So if anyone can help, it would be appreciated. Rocka and Rockb are the same type of rock, but I do know that they are not aquamarine. He had told me before, but we both forgot what it is. I would love any help that can be offered from you rock masters!

-Pamela

Silver_Skye
15-09-2006, 09:44
I'm no expert, but I'll tell you what they look like to me. ^_^

1. Clear Quarts
2. Green Agate or maybe an Aventurine (this ones really iffy for me, those are loose guesses, I"m leaning further towards agate though).
3. This one looks a little like a yellow calcite...
4. Black Agate (I think...)

And I have no idea with A and B. ^_^

Hopefully this helps you out (at the very least you now have some names to start googling with! ^_^)

Disa
15-09-2006, 09:49
I'll have a go at it. These may not be totally accurate, but maybe you can look up pictures of them online and see if they look similar to yours.

1. Quartz or maybe calcite

2. Bloodstone

3. citrine or amber

4. If it's black, obsidion or onyx- is it black or blue? If it's blue, possibly sodalite?

a. and b. howlite?

Azarial
15-09-2006, 09:52
1. I do know that it is not quartz. I have tons of quartz. Calcite is a possibility.

2. Bloodstone, That's what I thought, but wasn't sure.

3. If it's black, obsidion or onyx, It is a blueish black

-Pamela

Ruby7
15-09-2006, 10:00
Rock a and b look like Larimar (not sure of spelling) or Amazonite to me.

Ruby7

Elysianfaery
15-09-2006, 10:34
To me they look like

1. Calcite
2. Some kind of Jasper
3. Orange Chalcedony
4. Hematite (is it heavy?)
A/B. Amazonite

skygreen
15-09-2006, 12:13
1 Either optical calcite or Ulexite or possible selinite slab/chunk
2, bloodstone
Not sure on 3 maybe Orange Cacite or Carnelion orange agate or aragonite
4 not sure is this black or blue or?

Azarial
15-09-2006, 12:16
Number 4 is like a bluish black.

-Pamela

MCsea
15-09-2006, 17:48
HI,

Ill add my 2 cents worth

Rocka and rockb well they might not be the same rock - rock 'a' I think could be pale green aventurine (african) and rockb looks much like a crystal agate, but if you are sure they are both the same my money is on crystal agate

1 - Ulexite (geinger book has a picture that looks like its double)

2- bloodstone

3 -orange carnelian

4- Ok not very sure about this - could be blue tiger eye... or black agate (which due to minerals causing the colours can be a blue black agate) does it feel quartz'y?

Marina

chrisam-crystals
15-09-2006, 21:06
rock a and b is amazonite.

1 is optical calcite or selenite - hard to tell off a pic.
2 is bloodstone.
3 is more than likely orange calcite
4 is hard to tell because the colour isn't clear enough.

jue xx

Greywoolfe
15-09-2006, 23:09
From what I can see, picture 1 is as follows:

1 Looks like Selenite.
2 Bloodstone.
3 Orange Calcite.
4 Haematite.

Picture 2 appears to be Green Aventurine, and I'm not sure what picture 3 is, probably Blue Lace Agate.

Azarial
15-09-2006, 23:24
Thank you for all of your suggestions. Ok, after looking on pictures on the internet of your suggestions.

1. I am positive that it is Selenite.
2. Definately Bloodstone.
3. I'm not sure, but it does look a lot like Calcite as was suggested.
4. I have no idea, but it is definately not Hematite.

A./B. I have no idea about this one. They are definately the same kind of rock, I do know that. But, I actually remembered that it was a kind of rare type of rock, and it started with a P. It was a very strange name.

-Pamela

Ruby7
16-09-2006, 00:53
A./B. I have no idea about this one. They are definately the same kind of rock, I do know that. But, I actually remembered that it was a kind of rare type of rock, and it started with a P. It was a very strange name.

-Pamela

I mentioned Larimar earlier. Larimar is acutally blue Pectolite.

Ruby7

Acadia
18-09-2006, 22:10
Rock 1: Either Selenite or Ulexite (you can easily test this by putting the stone over text... If the text magnifies, it's Ulexite. If it doesn't, it's Selenite).

Rock 2: Without a doubt, Bloodstone

Rock 3: Without a doubt, Calcite

Rock 4: It's hard to tell, but I tend to lean towards thinking it's Sodalite.

Rocks A and B: Amazonite.... I'm 90% positive. I have pieces that look a lot like those two.

It's not Pectolite as Pectolite isn't found tumbled (at least, not that I've heard of), and there's no way that it's Larimar. Larimar doesn't tumble well at all, and it doesn't have a high sheen to it, it has more of a matte sheen to it. The crystalization in that one stone completely rules it out as Larimar.

Ruby7
18-09-2006, 23:38
The crystalization in that one stone completely rules it out as Larimar.

Good point. I would agree that a and b look more like Amazonite, was just trying to think of something that might fit beginning with P.

Ruby7