Stage Two (Or how did you learn Tarot...?)

Paulb

Hi all,

Ok, I have finally got a basic grasp of all 78 tarot cards, woo hoo! Some more than others, obviously, and a few that to me feel basically the same, but more about that later.

I was thinking of looking at spreads, seeing as it's the natural follow-on, but then I read somewhere (as I was nearly finsihed) that learning cards individually can be a bit restraingin, resulting in mechanical readings (not that I've done all that many so far!). Is this so, and if it is, is learning the spreads a good next step or is there something else I should do in between?

Which brought me to my next question: How did the more experieced tarot readers go about learning the different aspects of the skill?

Bit of a ramble there, my apologies...! But any insight is appreciated.......

Thanks,

Paul.

The Hanged Man

Hard to tell really, it just grows and develops. Each stage of learning is investigated and enjoyed, and then you find youself on a new level, and a new one after that. It just keeps going. You never stop learning.

I can still remember my first deck and being compleetly bewildered at trying to make sense of the cards. I found that trying to read the interpretations from a Sasha Fenton book such as 'a family event, a wedding or a party', a bit limiting in terms of interpreting a spread concerning the meaning of my life, or what my destiny is. 'A woman with auburn or red hair', isn't particularly helpful when you are inquiring about who the next male that you will encounter will be, or if you're enquiring about a past life in which you were black. You soon come to discover, that you have to make the cards, and their meanings your own. Learning by rote, though, is probably where you need to begin.

I think that I just bought lots of Tarot books, and you come to discover, eventually, that 90% of them are about the card meanings. Book after book, you come to learn the basic thread of meaning attached to each card, usually inspired by the imagery of the Rider-Waite-Smith deck. After a few books, you come to learn you don't need any more, they all say the same anyway.

Once I had come to this stage, becoming familiar with the divinatory meanings of each card based upon Colman-Smiths imagery, I began to explore Crowley's ideas which are very different. Then I came to see each card the way he saw them, according to his dictatorial correspondences. Then I dumped Crowley's messianic aspirations of world domination, and started thinking for myself. I must admit though, that it was Crowley that made me think for myself, because I thought, if he can do it, so can I!

Naturally, this caused me to wonder about my own correspondences, my own number symbolism, my own associations of elements with suits.

I began to forget interpreting cards based on someone elses illustrated portrayals, and began looking into pip cards, and interpreting cards based upon the symbolism of number in conjunction with the symbolism of the suit - and finding that the significance I would attach to many of the cards, didn't seem to relate at all to Colman-Smiths imagery.

Soon, I had my own keywords and astrological correspondences, which I would see in my minds eye when I interpreted the cards, regardless of the deck I used and it's imagery - the cards and their interpretations started becoming all my own.

Now I believe that although it is an incredibly tempting exercise to correspond the 22 planets and signs to the Majors, it is not possible to do this to satisfaction, and is in fact limiting your interpretative possibilities of the cards, rather than enriching them. I came to discover that keywords are also limiting, just as much as illustrated Minors are. All these things are very useful to beginners however, so look into them, and then inevitably, you'll be inspired by your own notions.

The stage I am at now, I am starting to believe that less is definately more with Tarot. The less correspondences that are dictated, the less keywords, the less someone elses illustration adorns the Minors, the great deal more I get out of a reading, so much that I would have overlooked otherwise.

This is not to say that I do not use decks with illustrated Minors, or keywords, or symbols because I do - it is just that these adornments are irrelevant to me as I read in my own way in my minds eye. The cards are simply to look pleasant, for me or the person I'm reading for, but what is on the cards no longer has much effect on me, it all about what's going on on the inside of my psyche rather than what's layed out on the table.

I think with learning Tarot, that's what happens - first it's a collection of puzzling pieces of artwork on a table, until it becomes internalised, and then it doesn't matter what deck you use - that's when the magick happens.

Just read and practice. Lay cards out again and again in all manner of patterns just for the hell of it, experiment, play with them. Note down ideas. Think of names for each card, colours for each of them. Think up your own correspondences. Fish for other peoples ideas. If you want it, and the cards want you, you will master the Tarot.

I am still learning, always will be, I have no idea where the journey will take me next.

Rosanne

One way I learned Tarot for myself was a result of my first puzzlement as to why I was drawn to Tarot in the first place.
What was Tarot for? It seemed to me back thirty or so years ago, that it was for answering questions, by drawing from the images a meaning to apply to said question.
Here is what I did. I took one question at a time- phrased it correctly and attempted to answer it by each of the 78 cards. When it became clear; a bit like flash cards for spelling- I drew two cards. That broadened my answers; on to three cards. Now the thing is I had only one book, RWS and the LWB. Because of the little printed info- I had to work it out mostly for myself. I started to see patterns and flow of the cards, thus new answers to the questions. I still mostly use a varient of the Celtic Cross positions in a circle and a story to answer the question just appears clear. It took practise. It reminds me of when you see those mystic eye photos and you have to widen your vision to see the 3D image. I think for me, I am grateful I was unable to get all the books and decks that are available now. Within a year I was reading for others as that is what I thought you did with Tarot, that is what I was supposed to do. The one really good point, in the old Cartomancy book I had was- read out aloud as you lay the card/s out in answer to the question. Somehow, hearing the words clarifies the image. Don't just think about the image.~Rosanne

satinangel

Lots and LOTS of 3 cards spreads, and then even more 3 cards spread...Read the cards, read what is happening "in-between" the cards...How do they relate to one another.

Another idea, draw a card (or two) in the evening, reflect back and see how it applied to your day. Journal it.

My favorites daily is: What you need to know? Why it's important? Advice/Outcome

When you have enough posts to join the Reading Exchange area, then pop into the Newbie Exchange (you'll find it in the sub thread Reading Circles). We'd love to have you join in!

~SatinAngel~

Baroli

satinangel said:
Lots and LOTS of 3 cards spreads, and then even more 3 cards spread...Read the cards, read what is happening "in-between" the cards...How do they relate to one another.

Another idea, draw a card (or two) in the evening, reflect back and see how it applied to your day. Journal it.

My favorites daily is: What you need to know? Why it's important? Advice/Outcome

When you have enough posts to join the Reading Exchange area, then pop into the Newbie Exchange (you'll find it in the sub thread Reading Circles). We'd love to have you join in!

~SatinAngel~

And then more practice. Look at the body language, yes I said body language of the cards. You can see alot going on with the body language of the figures in the cards. But just practice and three card readings are the best, really.

Baroli

MariaAZ

I'm just learning to read tarot cards myself, so I don't know how much insight I can offer. I tried teaching myself for a few weeks prior to learning about classes at a local New Age bookshop. It's been a great experience; we learn 8 card a class (including their reversals) and are working on learning a 14 card Celtic Cross spread. I have a very basic understanding of the cards we've learned thus far (just finished the aces through tens) and the majority of the Celtic Cross spread. My readings are still quite choppy because I am still using the basic meanings learned in class. I have my own ideas of what some of the cards mean but I'm holding back on it until I finish the class so as not to conflict with what the teacher is teaching.

Paulb

Thanks you guys... am already doing the three card speeads (I do past/present/future ... are there other different three card spreads...?)

satinangel said:

How doews this work exactly? Are you talking about pulling three cards, or just one and analysing it from different angels?

satinangel

How doews this work exactly? Are you talking about pulling three cards, or just one and analysing it from different angels?

I use it as a three card linear spread...

Card 1 What you need to know

Card 2 Why it's important

Card 3 Advice/Outcome

However, it's a great idea, using this for one card, going to have to try that! :) Thanks for the idea!

There are also MANY, MANY different three card spreads...if you check out the Tarot Spreads section here on AT there is a sticky thread near the top and one of the links there will take you to more than I can list here!

Have fun!!!

MeeWah

Practice, practice, & more practice using Tarot

Plunging into readings an effective means to hone an understanding of the cards, both on a personal basis & for others.

Drawing a daily card tends to refine the insights regarding the individual card because of the possible varied applications of same.

Keeping a journal or record, which need not be extensive, but the brief notations.

Recommend the smaller spreads, too, in order to learn the relationship of one card to another because the larger spreads can be confusing & an excess to assimilate.

In time, as the insights gained, the more to contribute towards the reading skills & the intuitive process.

Jewel

I have been learning tarot for years, and I know the journey will never end. What I did, and what I would do if I were to have to start all over again are two different things all together (and would have saved me a lot of money on books too!). So instead of sharing what I did, I will share with you what I would do if I had to start again, but with everything I know now. Granted this is my opinion, and based on how I learn, and what I am comfortable with so this is not the right way to learn, simply the way I would do it if I had known then what I know now.

1. I would have just gone out and gotten the deck I wanted, and not tried to have started with the RWS, which I never ever ever could connect with.

2. I would have only purchased two books. Tarot for Yourself by Mary Greer, and 78 Degrees of Wisdom by Rachel Pollack. Mind you if I would have picked the Thoth deck, then I would probably have had to buy the Angeles Arien Book on the Thoth deck.

3. Just play with the cards, and quit worrying if what I was doing was right or wrong. I would just enjoy all aspects of the journey and come here to Aeclectic where everyone is willing to give an assist.

4. Journaling. Using the combination of my impressions and what I have learned. Trust what you think and feel (this is the real key).

5. Always remember that the meaning of the cards are not carved in stone. Once you have other cards around them, the meaning of the card will not read like it does in the little white book that comes with the deck.

6. Throw away all LWBs - I am yet to find one that I would consider useful. Again this is MY personal opinion.

Once I felt pretty comfortable, then I would have proceeded to purchase the Llewellyn books on special topics in tarot. I love using work books with exercises so I have and still am enjoying these.

One of my pitfalls while learning, and I am not sure it was really pitfall, but more of a focus problem, is that there was so much cool stuff about numerology, qabalah, mystisim, astrology, etc that I kept going off on tangents, and to be honest I am not sure how much any of my tangent learning actually assisted me with my tarot learning at the time.

Good luck and enjoy the journey any way you choose to take it. It is fun and never ending. If you are an eternal student, you will really love the Tarot.