I had an interesting thought today I want to share

Grizabella

It came to me today that I think maybe we could each take some magazines, cut out 78 pictures that strike a chord in us, and then glue those pictures onto index cards and use them to read with. I wonder if that would work. What do you all think?

I don't mean making a tarot deck. I mean just using 78 cards with random pictures we were particularly drawn to to read for people with. Do you think it would work the same as tarot does? Would it work but in a different way?

I'll bet Umbrae can tell us what he thinks, huh? What he may say is for us to try it and see what happens. :p

gregory

Somewhere here there was an exercise that tried that - well, reading from magazines.... As someone who basically reads from the pictures - I have to say it didn't work for me at that time - but if this thread is still here when I get back from Canada I'll give it another shot. No titles or anything ? Would you make 22 of them sort of the "more so" pictures ?
(Bet you're right about Umbrae - though he may even suggest 78 blank postcards instead.... :))

Niti

I would imagine it would work the same as an oracle deck, and that 78 cards would then not be neccesary.

The only thing I would find to be a problem, though, is that a lot of magazine pictures have no life in them. I might find it hard to read from pictures that don't have much going on in them, especially if all the people look cold and lifeless on top of that.

shelikes2read

I can just imagine what'd go through my head as I interpreted a 78-image "deck" comprised of random pictures cut from a magazine...

[pic of skinny model]: "You don't eat enough. Go have a snack."

[pic from the recipe section]: "In fact, go have some chocolate brownies like the ones portrayed here."

[pic of pretty scenery]: "You need a vacation, go somewhere lovely."

Hey, you know what? You might be on to something good with this idea. ;) Let me go find a nice magazine and do some readings with it. :D

Nimbus

Call it the Vogue Tarot!

~Nimbus

Grizabella

Or maybe the VAGUE tarot? :p LOL

Umbrae

It's a common corporate brainstorming exercise, and is mentioned in the companion book with Mark McElroy's Bright Ideas Deck (which is far cooler than is credited…).

:smoker:

gorgeousbutterfly

i have thought of doing this. i have also thought of looking at images of tarot that remind me of certain tarot cards, but i never thought of making an actual tarot in which i would do readings with. i think its a great idea! pretty clever. :)

manhattan9thgate

shelikes2read said:
I can just imagine what'd go through my head as I interpreted a 78-image "deck" comprised of random pictures cut from a magazine...

[pic of skinny model]: "You don't eat enough. Go have a snack."

[pic from the recipe section]: "In fact, go have some chocolate brownies like the ones portrayed here."

[pic of pretty scenery]: "You need a vacation, go somewhere lovely."

Hey, you know what? You might be on to something good with this idea. ;) Let me go find a nice magazine and do some readings with it. :D

but what would be the theme, there has to be a focal point, and then, the images woud have to support that theme.
Therein lies the difficulty of putting together such a project, for instance:

[pic of skinny model]: you're fat, skinny is beautiful, put down that pastry.

[pic from the recipe section]: chocolate is hip and sophisticated. sexy people eat chocolate.

[pic of pretty scenery]: you need to aspire to that and own it to make up for not owning a house in the Hamptons.

you see the difference between your interpretation and mine, it's very subjective.

Look at Playboy magazine in its heyday in the 60's.......most men couldn't begin to live up to that image but it was fun to think you did. I guess part of my point is that commerical images are **tainted**. too difficult to use.

Grizabella

It's really in the Bright Idea Deck book? Maybe I'll have to look into that one. I'm not familiar with that deck because I didn't really think it was tarot.

Well, I meant things like animals, botany, landscapes, chaos patterns-------stuff that's not skinny models and food, you know? I'm more the Smithsonian or National Geographic or Omni type magazine person. Not into Playboy and Good Housekeeping and stuff like that, although I'll read anything if it's handy and nothing else is around.