I finally went & did it .....

redflash

I bought the Thoth. In fact I bought 2 by accident ! I wanted the pocket size but managed to order the pocket & the small size aswell.

I don't know why I've bought this one, I've never liked it. I keep picking it up & looking at it & I honestly don't know what to make of it. It puzzles me.

I was wondering what other peoples first reactions were to this deck - did you become instantly mesmerized, did you hate it, did you look at it & wonder what the heck the fuss is about ?

connegrl

I love the Thoth. It sucks me in and I get lost. In fact that's the problem. There is so much detail that I get lost and can't read with it. I've put it aside until I get better at using my intuition. I'm currently wedded to a deck that I hated when I saw the on line scans. The International Icon Tarot is a deck that I can read with well.

I also own two copies of the thoth. LOL

Jen

Niti

I wanted the Thoth for sometime before buying it. I actally liked a lot of the scans I saw online, but there were so many different versions, so I kept putting off ordering it.

One day, I went to a nearby bookstore, saw it on the shelf, and figured this was as good a time as any to purchase it.....but when I brought it home, I was really dissapointed. The colors were not very vibrant, the cards were smaller than I expected them to be (all that packaging decieved me!), the backs were ugly...oh, and I had never had a deck that used pips for the minors before, so I wasn't sure what to make of those either. I was worried I wouldn't be able to read with them.

However...I left the deck on my desk for a few days afterward, and I kept feeling this energy radiating from them, screaming at me to look at the deck more thoroughly. So that's what I did. I looked through it, shuffled it, etc...and the images grew on me. I started to like the deck more and more. Although part of me wishes I had waited and found another version of the Thoth, I like the energy in mine and I have really grown to like the pictures. Now that I can read more intuitively, the pips don't worry me as much....but I still don't read much with the deck, becuase I feel that I need to explore the history and symbolism present in the creation of the deck a lot more before I can read with it and fully appreciate it.

So I stick with my 'simpler' decks for now, mostly :)

mysticmonkey

I bought the pocket version for study purposes and because I was fascinated by the scans of the artwork.

When I first got it I was very happy with the artwork. I find it a real visual treat. Although the symbolism daunts me slightly.
I don't think at the present time that I'm ready to read with it but I do like to look through it from time to time.

I'll probably get the standard sized version at some point in the future so that I can appreciate the details of the art even more. :)

Little Baron

Get the large one!

LB

Abrac

I was completely puzzled by this strange deck at first. I didn't really like it and felt it was all a bunch of nonsense. It took me a while to learn the background information needed to fully appreciate it.

The Thoth is pretty overwhelming. It is one of those deck you never entirely figure out. You can study it for a lifetime and still find something new. It is best to just take it in small doses. It's not one of those you can learn in an afternoon then put away.

Congrats on your new venture. :)

SunChariot

redflash said:
I bought the Thoth. In fact I bought 2 by accident ! I wanted the pocket size but managed to order the pocket & the small size aswell.

I don't know why I've bought this one, I've never liked it. I keep picking it up & looking at it & I honestly don't know what to make of it. It puzzles me.

I was wondering what other peoples first reactions were to this deck - did you become instantly mesmerized, did you hate it, did you look at it & wonder what the heck the fuss is about ?
I've always loved the Thoth, the artwork of it. I got one a while back in E-Bay, along with two books on it. I was told that I needed to study this deck, that it required all kinds of study and such. As I read the books I had gotten with the deck, I was disliking the symbolism they were telling me. Some things were much to negative for my way of thinking.

Then I did try to read with the deck, using the book meanings . And it did not go well. Months, later I felt impelled to use the deck, and just went "what the heck!" and I ignored the books and went with what I felt things meant (my old usual intutiive way of thinking) and the reading was magical and beautiful. The cards that came up were really magical. When I looked at the images the cards gave me the exact feeling that the situation I was asking about did. Yet I had a strong feeling there was something deep and unconsious there. Once I paid enough attention to the cards and meditated with them, I was able to unearth what was bothering me unconsciously on the issue and that was a great help to me.

So all I can do is tell you the above. In my personal experience, studying the deck ruined it for me, only when I came read intuitively did it come alive for me and did I truly come to love it.

BTW, I once had a reading done for me with this deck on a reading exchange here on AT. The Aeon card came up. And my reader saw it as reincarnation (you can see how someone could see that too when you look at the card). It was amazing. And she told me all about my past life. It was a fascinating experience as I had never thought much about reincarnation before, yet parts of it seemed somewhat familiar.

Oh ME TOO!!! That is one thing for me. I have never liked non-scenic pips, as I read intuitively, by analysing imagery. So I like to have a lot of complex imagery to look at. One of my first impressions was disappointment at how they were not "scenic" enough. But once I got used to this deck even the pips are not talking up a storm. It surprised me, but they really are quite "busy" and there is enough variation on the pips of the suit that they really do leave quite a message.

Well, that's all I can think of to say on the deck. :grin: Except that it is a deck I have come to love. AND that if you felt drawn to get it, there is a reason, even if you don't know why yet. I am sure the deck will come to be important to you too, because of your story on how you got it. Hang in there until it does. :grin:
Babs