Is it okay to do readings on yourself?

Gayla

I recently had a local profrssional reader tell me it was not good to do readings on myself or draw even one card a day for meditation or study...she said tarot is very powerful and I could be letting dark forces into my life by doing reading on myself. Anyone have any thoughts on that? I think she might be right about doing celtic cross or multiple cards, but I don't really agree about pulling one card a day for study and meditation. But if that is forbidden, how can I learn and enjoy the art of tarot. Handling the cards is a major part of the experience...right?

AJ

If I didn't read for myself I'd never have an opportunity to learn!!
Sounds like codswallop to me!

blackstormhawk

Your reader is trying to make sure she keeps making money off you.

Or, she could be dispensing sincere, well-meaning advice.

What is true is that it's harder to read for yourself because of everybody's tendency to want to try to nudge the meanings into what we want them to be, rather than what we see.

Been there, done that, hindsight is 20-20.

SunChariot

Gayla said:
I recently had a local profrssional reader tell me it was not good to do readings on myself or draw even one card a day for meditation or study...she said tarot is very powerful and I could be letting dark forces into my life by doing reading on myself. Anyone have any thoughts on that? I think she might be right about doing celtic cross or multiple cards, but I don't really agree about pulling one card a day for study and meditation. But if that is forbidden, how can I learn and enjoy the art of tarot. Handling the cards is a major part of the experience...right?

There is nothing wrong with reading for youself. That is how I started and it was over a year and a half before I even thought about reading for others. In fact I would have gone on happily just reading for myself if it had not been for some friends here on AT who wanted readings from me. I am grateful to them now. :grin:

Reading for yourself is a differnet skill in a sense than reading for others. Some people never seem to get comfortable doing it. It takes a lot of objectivity, which can be hard to have about your own life. You have to be ready for whatever comes up no matter what (because if you ask, the cards will tell you the truth) and not shy away if they are telling you something you don't want to hear.

It is a bit easier to deal with "bad" news in the reading of a stranger than to see it come up in your own future. Reading for yourself, you can't get to emontional, or you might start to see things that are not there or be unwilling to see things that are there. As I said it takes a certain objectivity. Basically, only ask if you want to know.

Personally my attitude is that I always want to know and I go in just wanted the truth no matter what it is. I understand that any future predicted is not THE future that cannot be changed. It is , let's say, the starting place. Knowing it is what prepares you for what is to come and lets you change that future if it is not the one you want. And really I think over 90 % of the future events predicted in teh cards can be changed. So it really is nothing to get alarmed about.

Knowing your future is just the starting point. It is nothing more than the future you are heading towards at the time of the reading. You can change direction. But you can only change that direction if you can see where you are heading. And if you don't ask and do the reading, you will just end up there...So it is better to know , is my way of thinking....

Yes Tarot is very powerful. But as so many have said here....the cards are just painted cardboard. The magic and power is within yourself. Tarot just unleashes your natural intuitive powers and all humans have them. IMHO, the only "dark forces" you might unleash is your own fears, if you are afraid of seeing "negative" answers, which I know I no longer am.

Personally, my answers, and I have read years for myself have been 100% chock full of goodness and light. I know I tend to pray before readings and ask for help for that source as I read. If you don't purposely look to contact any dark forces, they aren't going to look to contact you. Your answers will come from where you look for them. If you look for divine help, you won't get asnwers from a dark place...

Hey, if she's in it for the money, people learning to read means they don't need her any longer and won't have to pay her. She doesn't seem to be encouraging that. ...

Babs

Phoenix Rising

Yup she's pulling the woolly over your eyes girl...She doesn't want you to know how to read the cards..or else you may see..she's talking a load of non-sense and won't need to go back to her.

How else are you going to learn?? It's harder to read for yourself as you only see what you want to see and can be a bit biased in your interpretation.

I wouldn't go back to her if I were you..better to find someone more sincere..next thing she'll probably tell you..that you have a curse and she can help remove it for an extra $100

cheers

PR

MariaAZ

I'm taking tarot reading classes from a professional tarot reader, and not only is our homework assignment to do a reading a day for ourselves, we are learning how to use the Celtic Cross for our readings.

PixieLi

i always do readings for myself....using the celtic cross spread. The only rule I was taught from my teacher was to never do more than one reading per day for yourself

cosmic_bubble

Most of my readings are for myself..sometimes for fun, sometimes for serious purposes - but it helps me get acquainted with the cards and to learn :)

psychic sue

It's OK - but if you read too often it can become confusing.

Personally I can't read for myself or people I love. I feel I am too close. I don't want to see the negatives so my mind changes it into a positive - so not a true reading. If I want a reading (which is rare to be honest) I ask a friend. When you are learning though, I suppose you have to do the majority on yourself, but try asking good friends or family to be your guinea pigs.

In my experience it's much easier to read for someone you know nothing about.

Sue x

a_shikhs

psychic sue said:
It's OK - but if you read too often it can become confusing.

Personally I can't read for myself or people I love. I feel I am too close. I don't want to see the negatives so my mind changes it into a positive - so not a true reading. If I want a reading (which is rare to be honest) I ask a friend. When you are learning though, I suppose you have to do the majority on yourself, but try asking good friends or family to be your guinea pigs.

In my experience it's much easier to read for someone you know nothing about.

Sue x

I completely agree with Sue. Its pretty difficult to read for yourself and for family. You unknowingly change the negative into positive. I too go to a friend for my readings. Infact I just got a reading done from my friend a few days ago as I was hopeless reading for myself on that particular issue. ;)