so I have my black obsidian scrying mirror...

Sophie

...what do I do next?

I've cleansed it with clear quartz. It's beautifully polished. How else do I care for it?

I've never done scrying, far less with obsidian. Do I have to charge it before?

How do I start, when, where, what precautions do I take, what can I expect, what state of mind should I be in?

(moderators: I'm not sure if this should go under crystals or divination - I'll let you decide)

sharpchick

Helvetica, I use the same sort of preparation for scrying that I do for meditation. I usually scry by candlelight. Sometimes I cast a circle, but I always smudge the area with sage. If you are using obsidian, you have some "built in" protection against negative energy. I see scrying as entering the spirit world, so I feel like you need to take whatever means of protection you feel is best.

Get as comfortable as you can. If you are successful (which you might not be at first), you may be sitting for a while.

Look into the surface of the stone lit by the glow of the candles. At first you'll probably just see your own face, but let your eyes "de-focus." (Is that a word?) Don't try to keep from blinking - it's not supposed to be torture.

At first, all I saw was fog, a sort of slow moving mist. After about the third or fourth time, I noticed I saw the fog forming almost immediately, then flashes of images - some were completely unrecognizable as people or things. When an image starts to form, the fog still stays, but seems to cradle the image as the picture emerges.

I will sit until there are no more images, or until the only one that appears fades. Then, still by candlelight, I journal what I've seen and meditate on that. I usually ground myself by eating a few bites of something I've bought into the room with me and afterward is when I snuff the candles and turn on the light. (One of the things I noticed is that if I immediately get up and turn on the light after I'm finished with the stone or other scrying tool, I feel really off-center. It's like I need to gradually return.)

That's just me though. I'm sure others have different methods.

chrisam-crystals

oh helevetica.....you lucky so and so!

where did you get it from?

how much was it?

have you got a pic?

so excited for you...............can you tell? :D

jue xx

Sulis

Ooh that sounds very nice...

I use a rainbow obsidian sphere for scrying and also for absorbing negative energy.. I've found it works wonders for backache if you hold it over the area...

As Sharpchick has said, I prepare for scrying much like I prepare for meditation yet I usually cast a circle when I'm scrying.
I use frankincense to cleanse the area as I'm not too good with sage..

Not sure how you'd care for an obsidian scrying mirror other than what you've already done.. I don't tend to charge my sphere although I think I did leave it on the windowledge under the full moon when I first got it.

You'll have to let us know how you get on... I find obsidian to be so grounding and calming - lovely stone.

celticnoodle

helvetica, congrats on your new purchase and you'll have to be sure to let us know if you have luck with it! sharpchick has offered some great advice that I have heard from others as well. I wonder if sharpchick charges her stone or other scrying object in moonlight? I have been told to do this with mine, and have also been told it is best to do so during a full moon. Also, to keep it covered with a soft black or dark cloth when not in use---which I do, but is this definately necessary, sharpchick? Sometimes I think about keeping it out on a table where everyone can see it! I think it's so beautiful, I want to share it. I do keep sage near by all the time, and am in the process of drying some sage that I've grown this year to use also. In addition to the sage for protection, I keep religious medals around, (it at least helps me to stay fearless & feel protected).

Chrisam-crystals, I've seen some items of this sort on ebay---if you are interested, you may find just what you are looking for!

Sulis, I've never heard of using a rainbow obsidian sphere for absorbing negative energy and helping w/backaches--so, once again, I've learned something new here on this site. I wonder if it would help with backaches during pregnancy and childbirth--i have a friend who is pregnant, will mention it to her, though her mother is a healer. I'll have to contact her mother to see if she knows of this/uses this as well. I may just invest in a rainbow sphere to have on hand. How can one find out (any book you can recommend?) about other spheres that helps with other ailments? thanks.

Sophie

Thanks for the explanations!

I'm very excited. It's beautiful - I also love obsidian. Now that we are getting into Autumnal mood, I also feel the need to do some deep healing work, and obsidian is ideal for that. I've put in on my altar, on a little stand, in the North corner. I found it quite by chance, at this place

- except that mine's not oval but round.

sharpchick

celticnoodle said:
I wonder if sharpchick charges her stone or other scrying object in moonlight? I have been told to do this with mine, and have also been told it is best to do so during a full moon. Also, to keep it covered with a soft black or dark cloth when not in use---which I do, but is this definately necessary, sharpchick? Sometimes I think about keeping it out on a table where everyone can see it! I think it's so beautiful, I want to share it.

My favorite scrying stone is my black obsidian sphere, which I also use and keep on my altar. All the stones on my altar are periodically charged in moonlight, but since I've also got a selenite sphere on the altar, I probably don't charge the working altar stones as frequently as some might. With my working stones, I clear and program them for my intent at the time of use. I don't cover the sphere. I need to have a reason to do things, and that one just doesn't make sense to me in light of using the sphere for so many things.

My second favorite way to scry is with a black bowl full of water - it's a larger surface than the sphere and was easiest to use when I was first beginning.

My third favorite is in the light of the full or waning moon at my sister's pond - it's about a quarter of an acre. I don't get to do this real often, as when I am visiting, there are usually others also who notice me missing and come to look for me.

Sophie

Thanks, celticnoodle - yes it is lovely. Far too lovely to cover up and put away - and not being the most grounded of people, I think having it on my altar in my sitting room will be very useful. I wouldn't have thought that the mirror itself needed protecting, being made of obsidian, which is itself protective (obviously I'll have to handle it delicately!)

Burning sage before using it - good idea. I tend to smudge the area where I cast my circle, and surroundings, with white California sage - I like the smell of it and it's not so difficult to find on the internet. I was thinking of having a go at scrying tomorrow night, as it's a Wednesday, Mercury's day - hopefully it will help communication ;)

What other uses can I put it to, apart from general grounding/protection, backache (good idea!) and scrying?

chrisam-crystals

WOW!

look at that price!!!!

oh how i wish i haven't just paid a month's rent and a year's council tax today!

damn damn damn and double damn......that site is well and truly bookmarked! ;)

jue xx

Sophie

chrisam-crystals said:
WOW!

look at that price!!!!

oh how i wish i haven't just paid a month's rent and a year's council tax today!

damn damn damn and double damn......that site is well and truly bookmarked! ;)
Beg, borrow or steal for that one ;) - I couldn't believe my luck, and it's even more beautiful in real life. I spend my time gazing at it and polishing it, LOL.