Iceland Spar

Emily

Yesterday I bought a fair sized square chunk of Iceland Spar (Calcite). It feels really nice to handle, looks like a square of ice and when I looked at it on the market stall where I bought it, I could make out a rainbow but I thought it might be oil on the outside of the crystal.
When I got it home I realised that this rainbow is actually in the stone itself. You can only see it if you angle the stone but its really pretty. There also looks to be different layers in there too.

I've had a search but I thought I would ask if anyone knows what this crystal can be used for - I think it might be good for scrying. :)

ravenest

Sounds like what is known here as 'Tintinbar Opal' (although I dont think it is a real opal) Looks like glass until you turn it in the light and then there is an abstract rainbow hologram inside.

Emily

Hi ravenest,

It does look like glass - I've found another rainbow deep in the crystal that you can only see if you look through the top. :)

star-lover

LOL
I thought this thread was about supermarkets and furrowed my brow wondering what its doing in crystal forum

Emily

LOL - When I bought this crystal its name was handwritten on a tiny sticker on the bottom and I thought it said 'Kuland Soar' and I had to ask what it was but I didn't want to say 'Kuland Soar' because I'd never heard of it then the seller said 'Iceland Spar' and I was still none the wiser but I'd handled it by then and it gave me a tingle so I bought it. :)