Do you have to be psychic to be a reader?

buddhagoddess

My friend, who has been studying tarot for 13 years, and occasionally will read at psychic fairs was telling me about some of her past experiences with "hard" clients. More specifically, people who sat their deliberately stone-faced so as not to "give anything away". or she told me of one person who just said "no, no, that's not right" to all of my friend's interpretations and the querent said" I am a psychic and you didn't pick up on anything right". This was even after my friend allowed her to reshuffle and all the same basic meanings popped up in the second shuffling. My friend said she thinks she started as more of an intuitive reader and then developed a more thorough knowledge of the cards meanings themselves. She does not claim to be psychic at all.

Is psychism a "requirement" to be a successful reader? I do believe I have a little precognitive vision (deja vu), but I certainly would not call myself psychic. I told my friend I believe there are tarot readers and then there are "psychic tarot readers". Is this a fair observation?

TIA

Netzach

There is a vast range of tarot readers from those who work only according to the meanings in the lwb to those who read entirely intuitively. There's no right or wrong way - all you need to do is to use the method you're most comfortable with and that you're best at.

As for being psychic - the very talented psychic who ran the "developing intuition" courses that I attended told us that even psychics only get it right 85% of the time.

There'll always be awkward customers . . . but thankfully they're in the minority.

Kenny

I don't think you do need to be. It might help though.

I think it might also help to listen and learn too. :)

starrystarrynight

I think everyone is psychic. Some have just developed this gift further than others...or perhaps better understand the messages that bombard us all everyday from the psychic realm (for want of a better term--maybe "collective unconscious" would fit better here). Some are more open to these messages...but the messages are there to be had for each and every one of us.

Deana

No.

I don't think you have to be psychic to read cards.

Even if you are psychic, there will be days when you're doing a psychic reading but more often than not, you're just reading cards. Psychic abilities can manifest, they can even be encouraged, but they can't be mechanized.

There are even days when I don't believe in psychic abilities. Doesn't hurt my reading any.

Gayla

Types of psychics

Psychic actually has a very broad meaning...there are different types.

This link outlines some of them:

http://www.thelostfound.com/psychic-abilities.html

I am not psychic and I provide accurate reading all the time for people I have never met before over the internet.

If I have to claim any psychic ability it is:
Clairsentience -an energy of knowing an event, past, present or future through a feeling.
and,
Intuitive -knowing, learning, acting or perceiving by intuition.

To me the bottom line is that the Tarot is a powerful tool in it's own rite and every card can be connected to almost any situation in one way or another.

The main reason I do not charge money for my readings is because I value the option to decline or walk away from agressive, sceptic querents. I tell people right up front I am not a psychic and cannot predict their future. If I get to the point where I am feeling stressed or pressured in a reading that means I am not having fun or benefiting from the experience, so it's time to stop. :)
G.

Lion-O

buddhagoddess said:
Is psychism a "requirement" to be a successful reader?
That is a tough one... Personally I have mixed feelings about this but before I go on I must stress out that what I write down here is strictly and purely based on personal impressions and feelings.. And please read this in the perspective of someone who does not have much experience with reading for others.

After going over this question a few times I have doubts. When it comes to reading for yourself you are basicly the questionaire and reader and such purely use the Tarot as a tool to unlock that what otherwise remains hidden for you (or perhaps; you use it to make certain information become more clear or obvious). But when it comes to reading for others... A reading has to be placed in a certain context and usually its the querant who can do so. But I can't help wonder if you don't need to be able and "live into" the queror and as such grasp the whole context (or perhaps; the overal meaning) in a better way. I also wonder if the kind of spread (and kind of question) can't influence this. I think that there is a big difference between doing a reading in order to get a good idea about the near future "as a whole" or when you simply pinpoint a reading to a possible upcoming event or possibility ("Will I be able to find true love during the upcoming prom?").

So really needed.. I don't really think so but I am not sure. But I am pretty convinced that if you have some developed insights you will heavily benefit from them with Tarot readings for others.

Just my 2 cents though..

SunChariot

It's not necessary to being a good reader. I do think anyone can learn to read well.

On the other hand, I think we are all psychic to some extent if we learn to follow and develop our intuitions. I think developing that part of yourself can improve your readings.

Babs

a_shikhs

I dont really think you have to be psychic to be a reader. I have a very good friend who is not at all psychic and she is an amazing tarot reader which is quite shocking.

But yes, if you are psychic, and a reader, then that will surely enhance your readings. :)

shadowdancer

I agree - being psychic does not equate with being a tarot reader. I just waffle away with whatever comes into my head, which is a combination of knowing the basic interpretations for the RWS and clone type decks, and going by what I see on the card from the deck I am using at that particular time.

I believe I am being guided when doing the reading, but I do not equate that to being psychic if that makes sense?

I think the psychic link was one that used to be made in years gone by, but now tarot is much more mainstream and accepted, I think that in itself has helped dispel quite a few myths associated with it - thank goodness.

This was bought home to me when reading Mark McElroy's "Putting the tarot to work". The techniques are perfect for the workplace. Certainly no indication that psychic ability is needed, and yet successful nevertheless.

Having said that....lol
If anyone is psychic who reads tarot, I take my hat off to them. I think it is a valuable additional tool to have, and can no doubt add to or enhance readings. Not necessary to make for a good reader, or a good reading though.

Davina