Psoriasis - anyone?

cheekyminx

Lucky me, I just happen to have this lovely condition. I'm just wondering if anyone else on AT has aswell?

Are there any herbs or crystals that can help with this skin condition??

Thank you

ravenest

Coal tar, believe it or not. If I have the right word and spelling. (Is it a condition where skin dries out and flakes off?) next time you are in Suprmarket check Nutrigena (sic?) T-gell and read the indications on the label. If this is the condition then the active ingredients in this and all similar is coal tar, for longer term drink cod liver oil or fish oil capsules.

if I have the name wrong and it is the more serious condition,(usually related to misfunction in the immune system it is often treated with medicines made of a concoction of types of cassia.

I'd see a herbalist if I was you.

greenbeans

My gran and mum have this although I haven't inherited it (I got my dads' eczema instead- WHAT a family of skin complaints!!) at times they keep it well under control, at others it gets them down.

I agree that seeing a herbalist or sympathetic doctor is a good idea if it is getting really bad. However there are a few things they tried that helped and are easy for you if you want to:

Diet- Limit alcohol, refined sugar, animal fats- as you may well be correcting impaired liver function-you need to get toxins OUT of the blood. Increase fibre and coldwater fish (or take fish-oil type supplements like flaxseed oil/cod liver oil)

Take Vitamin A, Zinc, Folic Acid, Selenium

Psychological- I believe most skin problems have a psychological aspect, ie when you are stressed/depressed etc it will flare up. So it is important to take time to REALLY relax, try stress reduction techniques and take some light exercise.

Sunlight- don't overdo it as UVB is bad for your condition but a little sunlight will help as the UVA is very beneficial. In fact I know someone who went to hospital for UVA therapy and it cleared her psoriasis up almost totally! So you may want to ask the doctor about that.

Topica preperations - Ok, my mum and gran never really got away from coal tar based stuff. But I read that you should ask your herbalist or pharmacist about topical preperations with comfrey, licquorice and camomile extracts if you want a more herbal approach (as coal tar has its nasty downsides)

Herbal medicine- again, this is just what I've read, but ask the herbalist about Sarsparilla root and Silymarin.

Hope any of this helps.

Debra

Just a warning to be careful about coal tar preparations on broken skin--it can work great for dandruff and psoriasis, but on broken skin it can also be carcinogenic if used frequently....I posted something about this yesterday in response to someone suffering from eczema, but I'm so new here I don't know if I can figure out where the thread was! At any rate, my suggestion is just that if you find you have skin sores that don't heal, go for a biopsy, period....Good luck!

cheekyminx

Ravenest, Greenbeans & Debra thank you for your replies.

I have been thinking about seeing a Herbalist....perhaps I should...no harm in it :) Yes, take vitamins & herby stuff, again been thinking about that. Sun, yup I LOVE my sun....

floracove

Ok, checked out the HerbMaster CD for ya.
HerbMaster CD said:
PSORIASIS
Chelidonium majus (celandine) (homeopathic)

Iris versicolor (Blue flag) (homeopathic)

Nettle tea

Calendula tea

Iodine (1 part, not white), Castor oil (4 parts)
Mix and apply to skin 1 time daily.

(((Feel Better!)))

AbstractConcept

it is the biggest effing bitch of a condition to have. i get it on my scalp and chest (my chest is pretty much constantly afflicted) and I've found that a medicine called Diprisone (sp?) helps. stings, and smelles rancid, but it does help. I've not bothered with meds or anything in years though.

long live the flakes!

geministar

Greenbeans has given some great advice here.

It is a nervous condition, also related to dermatitis. Flaxseed oil is really good to take internally and also to dab a bit on the affected area. Some herbs for the nerves might be helpful such as lemonbalm or drinking chammomile tea. Taking valerian or passionflower are also good herbs.

cheekyminx

Thank you floracove, AbstractConcept & geministar :)

lol I agree Abstract LONG LIVE THE FLAKES :laugh: Though mine hasn't been to bad of late, knock on wood.

Tuesday I shall visit the Health food shop, and I will book myself in with a Herbalist :)

Tarotphelia

I am considering trying a self-hypnosis cd for it, when I can find the right one . Has anyone else tried that ?