Miss Cleo Interview in The Advocate

Shade

I just read an interesting interview with Miss Cleo in The Advocate. It was part of their special "coming out" issue and in it Miss Cleo talks a bit about her relationship with the companies she worked for, worrying that if people discovered she is a lesbian she would lose her following, lawsuits, her claim to being a shaman, and a host of other rumors.

Personally I always enjoyed her late night infomercials (campy but fun) and I thought she got a bad rap in the tarot community. It's a worthwhile read; I recommend I recommend it to anyone who can get to a copy.

diane drizzy

Miss Cleo rocks!

Barbaras Ahajusts

My youngest daughter got to meet her when she worked for her reading tarot.
She liked her but was dissapointed her accent wasn't as thick or as real as the tv made her sound.
Miss C is interesting, I will say that!

Barb

Fulgour

Miss Cleo was never the problem.

The only time we're told that Jesus lost his temper
was when he confronted the money lenders at the
temple, but think about it... Was it that they were
bad people~or was it because they worked for the
temple authorities...Who was it He was mad at? ;)

Flavio

I read it in the online version, as Advocate is not imported to Mexico anymore if you have the same trouble can read it in The Advocate website and using the Search function type Miss Cleo.

Fulgour

excerpt

Miss Cleo comes out
The queen of late-night infomercial psychics tells us what you might not predict: She’s a lesbian.

By Greg Hernandez

Excerpted from The Advocate October 10, 2006

She’s known for the catchphrase “The cards never lie,” and now Miss Cleo, the controversial former infomercial psychic, is finally telling some truths—about herself.

From the late 1990s through 2002, the woman whose real name is Youree Dell Cleomili Harris was a late-night staple who, in a thick Jamaican accent, urged viewers to dial a charge-by-the-minute 900 number to have their fortunes read.

What those viewers didn’t know, and what some members of her own family still don’t know, is that Miss Cleo is a lesbian. Four years after the infomercials were pulled from the air under a cloud of various lawsuits and federal and state investigations, Harris says she has been inspired to come out publicly by a teenage godson.

“He and I started talking when he was concerned about coming out. He was 16. When he made the decision I told him I’d be there to support him 100%, and he embraced [coming out] wholeheartedly,” Harris says. “It’s a different vibe than when I was his age, being raised Catholic in an all-girls boarding school. But he was afraid of nothing, and I thought, I can’t be a hypocrite. This boy is going to force me to put my money where my mouth is.”

On the late-night infomercials, Miss Cleo said she was a mystical shaman from Jamaica. Doubt was cast on that claim when a Florida newspaper reported that she had been born in Los Angeles. But Harris simply says, “I am who I say I am,” and insists she has Jamaican roots. She says she’s actually not a psychic but more of a spiritual counselor or spiritual adviser.

“I’m more a shaman, an elder in a community who has visions and gives direction to people in their village. My clients and my students are my village. I take care of this community. If you sit down at my table, you have to take away a lesson and not just learn what is going to happen tomorrow. I also perform weddings—both gay and straight marriages—and house cleansings and blessings.”

Wearing her trademark headdress, colorful robes, and chunky jewelry on the infomercials, Harris also helped hawk a Web-based psychic consultation service, a line of at-home tarot products, apparel, and even an online dating service. It was all part of a business empire constructed by wealthy South Florida businessman Steven Feder and his cousin Peter Stolz, and the key to their empire was Miss Cleo.

She is sure that coming out will be quite liberating, but she still has some trepidation. “The reason it’s scary is because in my personal experience, black cultures throughout the world have a more difficult time accepting homosexuality in their family. I have family members who will be shocked; they don’t know. I have some family members who are very close to me, and they do know. But I’ve been afraid of the wrath, of the exile. When I came out to a number of friends in the late ’80s I had a number of friends who turned their backs on me and walked away. That was really intense. I really believed they were my friends.

Advocate.com © 2006 LPI Media Inc.

Shade

Thank you, Fulgour I should have linked the article. In the full print version she talks a bit more about the business in which the company made millions but she only received $450,000 for being the figurehead. I thought it was strange taht the state of Florida would sue her because she wasn't actually born in Jamaica and I was glad to read that the lawsuit was dropped.

Debra

Thanks for posting this--very interesting! I wonder if this will have much of an impact on her supporters.....

ziplizard

Thanks for posting that! It's nice finding out more about Miss Cleo than what the infomercial showed, even if the Jamacan accent is a fake.