non-professional tarot readings at a party

le fey

My daughter (age 17) is having a Halloween party and has asked me to play fortune teller and give readings for the partygoers. There will be about 10 kids total (ages 14-17), plus a couple fellow adults to help keep things going smoothly at the party so I don't have to divide my attention, and I've checked with the other parents to make sure no one would have a major problem with it.

I am not at all a professional reader, and my readings for others have only ever been one on one in an informal but quiet setting. So there's a lot about this idea that new to me, and pretty intimidating! Underage recipients, the need to keep it 'fun', noise, a majority of people who have little previous exposure to Tarot, stage fright, you name it!

I wonder if other people find themselves in this situation at this time of year, and I'd love some tips and advice. I know some of these kids very well, but others not at all. I don't want to make it into a joke but I also don't expect or want to make things too deep or heavy (or - as in the nightmare I had last night - have some angry parent call me because a reading made a kid think I'd accused her of being pregnant - hah!). I expect to field a question or two about whether or not I really think the cards can fortell the future, so I'm scrambling to find some way of turning my inner thoughts on the subject into something that doesn't sound like a boring lecture. Etc, etc, etc - the wheels are spinning!

So how do people who aren't professional handle party atmosphere readings with people who may range from being seriously excited to very skeptical and, gulp, teenagers!

What I know I want to do so far is to create a space in an alcove to the side of where the main party will be and put up a curtain so that others will be able to watch the reading only if the readee wants them there (nothing like trying to ask about that cute boy if he's standing over your shoulder), I am dressing up for it at my daughter's request, NOT doing a spooky voice in spite of her request, and it will be three card readings only. The only other thing I thought might be fun was to pass out chocolate foil coins at the beginning of the party to act as their 'tickets' so they can, ehem, cross my palm with silver (or gold).

Grizabella

Tell the kids beforehand that you're just doing the readings for fun. Then they're not going to expect a really deep, totally serious reading from you. You can inject some humor into the reading to make it lots more fun. Just don't try too hard to go for deeper on the readings. That's what I do for my younger grandkids. There are so many possible meanings for each card that you can find "safe" ones while still giving a good reading that the kids will feel is useful to them. I've found that doing readings for kids is a great way to lighten up and get real imaginative about card meanings. It's good exercise.

Gayla

I read with my 8 and 3 year old all the time. We have a little game we play where we draw a card and act out the pose. Or we spread the cards and draw one at the same time to see what comes up and then we talk about it. I get them to tell me what they see in the card...it's amazing the details they pick up on. My 8 yrd old even connects the meanings to events in his life.

Flavio

Although you consider yourself a non-profesional you have very "profesional" concerns, that is good as you had foreseen many things, at the party you can only focus on the readings.

Kids at the ages 14-17 are surely going to ask fortune telling style questions, "will I become a Doctor?", "will Jonathan ask me going on a date?" "will I fail the test?" and so on, in that case I had followed the fortune telling game, because those kids see the reading as a game, I've concluded that in some cases is pointless to explain them how to re-phrase the question, they just want quick answers.

BUT you're going to find some kids with really deep concerns, "will my parents divorce?", "my boyfrined is pushing me to have sex, what shall I do?" in those cases is worthwhile to take more time, and perform a reading that empowers them to deal with the situation they face.

Don't worry about the noisy party, if you make several readings maybe the 1st or 2nd will be interrupted by the party atmosphere but then you get a "reading momentum" and you forget bout the party and focus on the readings and Querent of the moment.

And the most important thing, have fun end enjoy the experience!

raeanne

Hi Le Fey,
Please remember to take along a few bottles of water and drink plenty during the night. If you don't you will probably wake up the next morning with a bad headache or some other symptom of energy overload. Doing several readings in one night can be tough on you. Make sure you have gotten plenty of rest before the party starts. Avoid heavy foods prior to the party but make sure you get good nutrition. Fresh fruits and veggies are always good. During the party be sure to schedule periodic breaks for yourself. Enjoy!

BLFO

Whew! Create a spread in advance that uses no more than 4 to 5 cards. That uses...

1. School

2. Crush at school/crush on favorite tv star, rockstar, etc

3. After School activities/Hobbies (Music, cheerleading, acting, sewing)

4. Good Luck Fortune on the way (Must always have a positive meaning even if the card seems negative...it is usually telling you not to do something negative in order to bring positivity in that person's life)

I know that was a bad example, but girls that age will even be happy with something like that.

satinangel

le fey,

How exciting for you!!! This is EXACTLY how I started out!

You've received lots of good advice here already...LOVE BLFO's spread idea, having something pre-set so everything is light hearted and fun! 3 cards are plenty!

Lots and lots of water! Might want to keep some small hard-candies or mints at your table.

Your first reading will probably feel a bit challenging, but after that, it will settle into a flow and you probably won't even hear anything else going on around you.

Can't wait to hear how this all turns out for you!!!

~Have Fun!~

zannamarie

Have you thought about which deck(s) you will use? The images you set in front of the kids can also set a tone with regards to making the readings 'fun' or 'serious', especially to those not familiar with tarot. Or you might want to just select a deck you are very comfortable with. Whatever you do, have fun! :)

le fey

Thanks so much for the suggestions - keep them coming!

I am tempted to pick up the Halloween Tarot for the occasion, but I am concerned that I might not have a good handle on the images enough to break it out publicly (but it is such a good excuse to get a fun new deck!).

In terms of comfort factor, I'm inclined to go with the Universal Tarot, both because I'm very familiar with the deck and because it has the images that people most seem to expect to see. It's not my all-time favorite deck, but it's very untilitarian and comfortable to work with.

chrisam-crystals

personally i wouldn't do readings for kids of that age and especially if it is going to be on samhain.

but that is just me, and it is really up to you if you think you should.

jue xx