PDA

View Full Version : Unidentified leaf.....

LixiPixi
06-10-2006, 17:23
I received this leaf as a free gift (among a couple of other things) from someone on eBay that I ordered herbs from. I have NO idea what it is or what its purpose is. Can anyone advise?

LP~

chrisam-crystals
06-10-2006, 19:44
it is just a skeleton leaf and nothing special. :)

the leaf is stripped to just leave the skeleton intact, and you can use them for all sorts of things.....card making, putting onto gift parcels, sticking onto candles etc.

jue xx

a_shikhs
06-10-2006, 19:45
That's a beautiful leaf. I think its just for decoration. You can decorate it or maybe paint on it and frame it up. It will look gorgeous.

inanna_tarot
06-10-2006, 20:37
looks like black poplar to me...

and i'll let you research what its for :)

Sezo
x

LixiPixi
07-10-2006, 04:15
Thank you for the words of wisdom everyone. Now that I know it's not meant to be used for something specific, I can let my imagination run wild :)

I appreciate the help!

LP~

LixiPixi
07-10-2006, 04:18
looks like black poplar to me...and i'll let you research what its for :)

Black poplar, black poplar - okay, I can do it!....

LP~

ravenest
07-10-2006, 12:14
it is just a skeleton leaf and nothing special. :)

Perhaps not. I have seen leaves just like this. These are Bodhi leaves, off the Bodhdi tree, the tree that Buddha sat under to gain his enightenment. There are usually distributed in the 'skeleton' form, I believe, for preservation, being dried a certain way so as to last longer.

I assume the properties of the leaf relate to meditation and enlightenment.
[Go; google, images, Bodhi leaf.]

AJ
08-10-2006, 00:50
As an info-junkie, I'd love it if you'd write the seller and ask! Then tell us...

ravenest
10-10-2006, 10:58
Dear info junkie;
Just check the google image with the image posted here. Dont you think it's the same?

YDM42
10-10-2006, 11:01
mulberry leaf? http://www.cas.vanderbilt.edu/bioimages/image/m/moru2-lfunlobed38372.htm

Black poplar?: http://www.british-trees.com/guide/blackpoplar.htm

PixieLi
10-10-2006, 11:04
I would have to agree with ravenest...it looks like a Bodhi leaf

B*B
Pix :)

ravenest
10-10-2006, 11:18
I suppose they look alike but is there a long history of using these leaves (poplar and mulberry and others) in a dried skeleton form? The Bodhi leaf has been used in this way for centuries, people sent them to each other as gifts and to impart good energy and even write the scritures on, also paint them and use gold decoration on them etc.

So, on balance of usage, I'd say its a Bodhi tree leaf .... but I could be wrong.

[As I've been wrong before .... back in 1989 I believe ;)]

LixiPixi
10-10-2006, 12:21
Yep, I have to agree on the Bodhi leaf. When I compare the one in hand to the various others suggested, it's definitely more the Bodhi, especially the point at the tip. I like the idea of it being a gift to send good energy. That would make sense considering how I received it.

I'd write the seller, but I've gotten sooo much from eBay in the past several weeks. I have no clue which box it came in....LOL

Thank you all so much for the responses :thumbsup:

LP~

Emily
10-10-2006, 22:42
I found some good sites about the Bodhi leaves.

http://www.the-tree.org.uk/Sacred%20Grove/Buddhism/bodhi5.htm

Maybe you could frame it, keep it special. :)