grandmothers wisdom cards

olivia

Does anyone have this deck? I have bought this deck recently, but I can't find any information about...

redflash

I haven't heard of it, but now you have me interested ! I can't find anything on google about them. But I bet someone on here will know a little about them. Can you put any pictures up for us ?

Astraea

I bought a set of these cards two or three years ago but have no experience reading with them. They are photographic representations of sculpted dolls created by Megan Garcia in the images of Native American wise women from several tribes with whom she had spiritual visitations over a period of years.

The box lists the publisher as Books Beyond Borders in Boulder, Colorado and the ISBN # is 1-883862-06-X. My edition of the cards was published in 1994, but the owner of the shop where I bought the cards knows Megan Garcia and indicated that a new edition was planned; that might or might not have happened by now, and the publisher might have changed since the 1994 edition. My set came in a sturdy, flattish 8 x 6-inch pink box with the word "Grandmothers" and a drawing of apple boughs on the lift-off lid; inside is a 49-page booklet about the creation of the cards, and a well for the cards. The cards are large (6 x 4 inches), printed in color on very sturdy stock with a matte finish.

This is a lovely deck which would, I think, have special appeal to those who resonate with women's wisdom lore and earth-based traditions of many kinds.

Little Baron

They look creepy. I am curious. If anyone can end up posting some scans, I would be most appreciative.

LB

Astraea

The cards don't look creepy to me, but I can see why someone might get that idea based on the photo from the Discount New Age Books website. The dolls consist of sculpted terra cotta heads, with bodies clothed in natural fibers and feathers combined by the artist. They are actually warm representations, but the photo on the website is lit in such a way that the figure appears faceless, instead of chalk white against white clothing -- like a hood without a head. Most of the heads and faces are natural clay-colored reds and browns.

I don't have either the equipment or skills to scan the cards, and I can't find any on-line images beyond the one at Discount New Age Books (see the link in Olivia's second post, above).

Edited to say that I've just looked at the cards again, and not all of the dolls have heads/faces; some are representations constructed from organic materials, assembled in such a way as to suggest their meaning. The card depicted on Discount New Age Books' website is called White Wolf Woman.

redflash

Hmmmmmmm. I think I might pass on this lot !

Attachments

• 188386206X.jpg
    188386206X.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 144

olivia

OOOpps....mmmm...ehhh...Good....

I understand now why no pictures...

So... I have a deck for trade, the name is....

GRANDMOTHERS WISDOM CARDS......sniff....