What is the best way of clarifying a card?

MissCW

I was just wondering which is the best way to clarify what a particular card is trying to say to you.

I keep getting a certain card - Seven of Swords - in my daily draws which is a bit worrying and I'd like to know in which area of my life I should be watching for it.

Is there a specific spread that you could do or just draw more cards. I like the idea of a spread but am not sure which one to use.

What does everyone else do?

Abrac

In my experience, time is the best clarifier. By watching, waiting, and collecting relevant information. Usually the answer will catch you by surprise when you least expect it. It is natural to want an immediate answer, and because of this it is easy to settle for an answer that is close, but just doesn't feel 100% right for some reason. It is best to wait until you know absolutely that you have the correct interpretation. When it arrives, it will resonate strongly and a light will come on. Then you will say, "Ah-ha!" :)

If you do not have a lot of time, it is probably better to do something than nothing. Procede with caution using the best information you have, and be ready to correct your course if necessary.

lark

Seven of Swords presenting it self over and over could mean that there is something in your life you are not taking care of and it is a little something, but if not taken care of when it's little it has the potential to turn into something bigger.

Example: like that little tooth ach that is easy to fill now, but if left to long will turn into a root canal.

Is there anything in your life that you keep saying " I've got to get to that today" ...but for some reason you keep putting off.

The Seven of Swords maybe be warning you to take care of it now while it's easy to take care of.

zach bender

lark is right. the significant thing here is the repetition of the card over several readings, and it does seem to take on the sense of procrastination. as far as an explanatory spread or an overlay, let the deck tell you how to approach this. it may be a three- or four-card spread, it may be a celtic cross with seven swords as the significator, whatever feels right. and then the explanation you get may be a bit hard to grasp at first.

zb

Keigh

Great advice so far. What deck did you use? Was an RWS clone? If so, the seven of swords often means that you or someone surrounding you is trying to "get away with something".

Procrastination could also fit, so do look into your life, as lark advised, to see what you are putting off. I've also used zach bender's approach and used the card in question as the significator. It can provide good information about what that card is trying to tell you - though it can be a lot to take in.

Another thing you might consider....carry the card around with you for a day. Look at it often. Meditate on it and see what thoughts or images come to mind. If you keep pulling it, it has something to say to you that you are either not hearing or ignoring. You can even put it under your pillow and ask for answers while you dream. Keep a journal by your bed and take notes upon waking of thoughts or dreams.

Umbrae

Needing a clarifier is the Tarot’s way of telling you you’re in Four of Cups mode. It means you’re trying to tell the cards what they mean rather than the other way around.

Needing a clarifier means “you’re stuck”.

So pull back. Don’t think about what this writer or that writer said, or what the card looked like in this deck or that deck.

Sometimes it is confusion from too much varied imagery in too short a time (too many decks). Sometimes it means you need more experience with smaller spreads when with others. Sometimes it means you started ‘charging money’ too early.

You don’t need a clarifier – more cards may very well obfuscate the answer.

Also – listen to the sitter…if you start rambling on about a card and they say, “No” – do not ever tell them they are wrong – if you look at the card and what they say does not match what you see in the card – the sitter’s not wrong (I’m not saying that you do this – but I’ve seen readers that do. They end up arguing with the sitter, using words like ‘denial’ and such – and then the clarification cards start to come out…).

When a sitter says “no”, we need to listen, take a step back, and reevaluate what’s in front of us.

Learning to do this is the key to becoming a good reader (IMO).

MissCW

Umbrae said:
Needing a clarifier is the Tarot’s way of telling you you’re in Four of Cups mode. It means you’re trying to tell the cards what they mean rather than the other way around.

Needing a clarifier means “you’re stuck”.

This is so true! I really am stuck. To cut a long story short, I have an instinctive feeling someone (a male) is trying to mess with my relationship behind the scenes, I can feel it but I can't seem to get to the bottom of it. It feels very messy and complicated.

I am trying to take action to both with the cards and with words/physically to get it sorted but the messages from the cards is so confused I can't seem to get to grips with it.

So all of you are right!

Umbrae

You see…this was your question:
MissCW said:
I keep getting a certain card - Seven of Swords - in my daily draws which is a bit worrying and I'd like to know in which area of my life I should be watching for it.

A Seven of Swords is a card that essentially tells us that we are ‘cutting ourselves in half’.

The Swords are the suit of intellect, thought, reason, justice, truth, and ethical principles. These are things which if ‘out of balance’ lead to disharmony and unhappiness. Intellect, if not infused with the wisdom of our Inner Guide, but as an agent of ego, it can lead us astray.

A Seven is a number of reflection and evaluation. Sevens also equate with Netzach which deals with both intuition and emotion; and the Seven of Swords deals with the negative aspects of Netzach.

Mix seven swords together…and we get a message about Attempts and Fantasy – things are not as we see them. We are involved in an effort which will bring us only tears.

Which means…you are fighting phantoms – illusions…

MissCW said:
I have an instinctive feeling someone (a male) is trying to mess with my relationship behind the scenes, I can feel it but I can't seem to get to the bottom of it. It feels very messy and complicated.

I am trying to take action to both with the cards and with words/physically to get it sorted but the messages from the cards is so confused I can't seem to get to grips with it.

Your instinctive feelings are incorrect. Listen to the Tarot.

:smoker:

MissCW

Thanks Umbrae, that was very helpful - everything you said made sense (as it always does when I read your posts! :) ) I think I will step back from this for a while until I can see with a clearer mind.

This is the first time I have really struggled to read for myself (I am a beginner so only read for myself and friends anyway) or tried to make the cards fit the situation as you say.

Generally, is it best just not reading for yourself when its a complicated or emotional issue, as you will only see what you want to see?

Jewel

MissCW said:
Generally, is it best just not reading for yourself when its a complicated or emotional issue, as you will only see what you want to see?

Sometimes one has no option but to read for oneself. The hardest part of reading for oneself, particularly in emotional areas, is being able to remain objective and not lead the reading, but read the reading. Reading for yourself, and being honest in those readings, is a great way to gain practice.