PDA

View Full Version : Want to share recipes?

sharpchick
23-10-2006, 01:41
Herbs and essential oils, I was thinking. . .I love adding recipes to my herbal journal.

Here is one I love (got it from a back issue of New Witch magazine). It's for soaking sore muscles and I can personally endorse it.

Equal parts of tea tree, rosemary and lavendar oils. Put 3-5 drops in a hot bath when you need to soak those tired muscles.

It works very well, and I always keep it on hand.

MCsea
23-10-2006, 09:14
Thanks sharpchick thats great advice for me at the moment!

I dont really have any recipes to share but a good tip is Grapefruit essential oil in the burner makes for a very sunny day - excellent when visitors pop in..

MARINA

Milfoil
23-10-2006, 09:49
Oooh great

I collect recipies (or receipts as they were once known).

I've got all sorts from shoe polish to a cure for cancer (no I doubt it works either)

Most of the ingredients for the 'interesting' stuff are either illegal now or names which I can't easily identify but they make fun reading and are a great historical document.

One of my favourites recipies is for shiney hair is:

An ounce of Rosemary and an ounce of chamomile in a muslin bag, simmered in a pint of water for 5 mins then allow to cool and use as a hair rinse.

Another great tip to stop glasses steaming up is to rub a little soap on them, polish off and they don't steam up!

Rabbit
23-10-2006, 09:52
Herbs and essential oils, I was thinking. . .I love adding recipes to my herbal journal.

Here is one I love (got it from a back issue of New Witch magazine). It's for soaking sore muscles and I can personally endorse it.

Equal parts of tea tree, rosemary and lavendar oils. Put 3-5 drops in a hot bath when you need to soak those tired muscles.

sharpchick
I have all those oils, I thnk I will take your advice!
Thanks.

sascha
23-10-2006, 10:26
Thank you sharpchick and MARINA...wow, such perfect timing you both have!! Two needs solved at once... the grapefruit sounds like the perfect thing to energize my environment, and I wouldn't have thought of it. The bath sounds like just the thing for my arthritic back.... I'm heading out to the store today. :)

sharpchick
23-10-2006, 10:43
The incense I will take to a group Samhain ritual (this gave me a little over a quarter of an ounce of incense, which should last us about an hour. If you don't need that much, reduce the proportions accordingly):

Mix and then grind together equal parts sage (cleansing, protection and divination); patchouli (cleansing, protection and love); chamomile flowers (cleansing and enhancement of psychic abilities/dreams); and mugwort (healing, protection, divination, astral travel and past life regression). (I used about 1/4 cup of each of these herbs.)

Grind together (if not using powder) equal parts benzoin (purification and astral projection); frankincense (courage, protection and spirituality); and myrrh (purification, protection and spirituality). (I used about 1/2 tsp of each resin.)

Carefully mix in the resin powder with the ground herbs (this will be dusty - I recommend a larger than necessary ceramic or glass bowl, as deep as you can get). Fix the dry incense with equal parts patchouli, rosemary (cleansing, healing and love) and sandalwood (astral projection, divination, healing, protection) oils (mixed together, about a small blue dropper bottle full). Sprinkle the oil mixture by drops, turning the incense over and over with a wooden spoon. It will darken as the oil penetrates some of the dry herbs and resin powder.

If you've made a large batch like this and don't use it all at Samhain, I'd say it would be appropriate for any ritual celebrating the Goddess as crone and/or the God as sage, as well as spells cast to facilitate contact wth the spirits.

celticnoodle
23-10-2006, 11:12
thanks for these recipes! i am really just beginning to get into herbs again---my mother was always handy for a remedy with herbs for ailments, but i kind of got away from all that. since becoming a member on AT, my interest is 'renewed' again--and i'm going to try some of these.

yesterday, while shopping in walmart, i caught off guard and was quite surprised to see a small bottle of tree oil there at a reasonable price. i did not pick it up then, but plan to go back and get some for my tired achy feet. I'll have to look and see if they offer others as well. I do grow my own rosemary (now inside for winter), and sage, (now dried/drying for winter use), and lavender. So, I'm almost half way there! Maybe next year I'll have to plant more herbs. Thanks again for the ideas.

Emily
23-10-2006, 21:15
I always keep Arnica gel around - It works wonders on bruises, brings them out and sooths them - essential if you have an hyperactive 9 yr old son. :)

MCsea
24-10-2006, 10:30
Oh Emily yes Arnica, I also have the tablets/drops for under the tongue and indeed it heals pain on all levels thanks for adding that!

MARINA

sharpchick
24-10-2006, 12:22
I'm writing all these down. . .

More, please.

TheBip
25-10-2006, 12:40
I also love collecting essential oil recipes :) My fave oil is lemon... anyone know anything I can do with it?

I used to have a site saved in my bookmarks that had a bunch of different recipes, Ill see if I can find it again ^_^

Rainbow Aurora
27-10-2006, 04:40
How about a solid cream perfume?

1 tablespoon grated beeswax
2 tablespoons oil~ coconut, castor, even mineral oil

melt beeswax and oil in a jar in hot (not boiling) water to about
140 degrees, remove from heat and stir until a little cooler, add
a few drops of Lavender and Rose essential oil or any at all you like
and pour into a container, sets very quickly.

Rainbow

PS~ Hello TheBip and welcome to AT

TheBip
27-10-2006, 10:28
Found the site, its http://www.dreamingearth.com/recipes.html. Ive never tried any, but I would like to sometime :)
And this site looks pretty cool too: http://www.aromathyme.com/recipes.html

Hi Rainbow Aurora :) Thanks for the welcome ^_^

sharpchick
27-10-2006, 13:35
Scott Cunningham had a great recipe for scented soap - both liquid and solid, using bars of plain old castile soap, hacked into little tiny pieces. I'll look that one up if folks are interested.

Rainbow Aurora
28-10-2006, 04:22
Scott Cunningham had a great recipe for scented soap - both liquid and solid, using bars of plain old castile soap, hacked into little tiny pieces. I'll look that one up if folks are interested.
Yes please :grin:

Rainbow

sharpchick
29-10-2006, 01:36
Since I was looking this up to post here, I bought a couple of bars of castile soap yesterday to see about making the soap spheres this weekend. The following recipe is from The Complete Book of Incense, Oils and Brews by Scott Cunningham. (This is the one published in 1989, that revised and expanded what he had written in 1986 in The Magic of Incense, Oils and Brews.)

Cunningham observed that castile soap can be drying to the skin, and if that was a problem for someone, one to two teaspoons of sweet almond, apricot or coconut oil could be substituted for an equal amount of water prior to mixing the soap and essential oils.

Ritual Soap Spheres

Using a very sharp, thick bladed knife, cut a four ounce bar of castile soap into very small pieces no larger than 1/4 inch square, the smaller the better as long as they are cubes. Place these in a heatproof non-metallic container.

Heat slightly less than 1/3 cup water till almost boiling. Pour the water over the cut up soap. Let it sit till the water has cooled sufficiently to let you handle it. Mix the soap and water together with your hands. This will moisten the soap chips, but they shouldn't be floating on the surface of the water. If they are, add more soap.

While the soap is melting, mix together the oils and empower them with your magical need. Then add 20-50 drops of the combined oils to the soap/water mixture. Vey warm water evaporates the oils, so wait till the water has cooled. Mix them in thoroughly. The scent should be strong; if not, add more oils.

Divide the scented mass into three or four parts. Form these into speheres with your hands. Place each on a nine inch square sheet of cotton cheesecloth. Pull the ends tightly around the spehere, gather them at the top and twist together. The cloth should be tightly wrapped around the sphere. Tie the ends closed with strong string. Repeat with each sphere.

Hang the soap spheres in a warm place for three days, or until the soap is completely hard. When the spheres won't give to finger pressure, remove the cloth wraps.

Rainbow Aurora
29-10-2006, 05:50
Thanks sharpchick.
I think I will give the soap a try, possibly
using a little castor oil where you suggested.
I know castor oil adds to a good lather. This
is going to be fun!

Rainbow

Milfoil
29-10-2006, 07:26
Using a very sharp, thick bladed knife, cut a four ounce bar of castile soap into very small pieces no larger than 1/4 inch square, the smaller the better as long as they are cubes.

You can also grate the soap into fine shreds with a cheese grater - that works nicely too.

sharpchick
29-10-2006, 09:18
You can also grate the soap into fine shreds with a cheese grater - that works nicely too.

He specified grating for the liquid soap recipe (where he said to use a full cup of grated soap) - for the spheres he was specific about little teeny cubes. Do you think it wouldn't really matter to grate for either one? Grating would certainly be a whole lot easier. . .

FantasyWorld
30-10-2006, 08:58

I was out and about today and got Tea Tree oil but couldn't remember the Rosemary so I'm going to try this with the Tea Tree,Lavendar and Eucalyptus.......