Is tarot for mere peons who had too much coffee?? LOL

bladeraven

whew...well..had two friends come over for a reading...and it was really great...got my tarot juices flowing again...and it was great readings but it was a case where you picked up a difference in ...attitude...

Both were career oriented readings about returning to work...Person A and Person B both got the same spread but different readings...and now I'm just beside myself with worry about "impressions" of how they perceive me.

I'm not use to "being out of the closet" about Tarot reading, but was a bit..thank you for asking me, I don't mind, and so I did the reading like I normally did...All Happy Happy Joy Joy.

Well...after I got finish with the reading for Person A, Person B, grabbed a book of Tarot I had and looked up the meanings and proceed to tell Person A, after I gave "A" her reading, what the spread I just did meant.

I just sat back, and I think my jaw dropped, and went...okay this is pretty rude...discuss is one thing but why first ask if they could come "visit" then "oh can you do a reading for us" then not only have already had done readings prior to arrival but basically pick apart my reading....

I polietely responded, "usually I have the Tarot book out for those who need to "control" the situation and feel comfortable looking up my readings if they don't understand what I just did, however, the books should not be taken as a literal bible."

Person B, waved me off with "oh I know that' and proceeded to read off to Person A, the "meaning of what was just read" card by card...

Person B, I was "teaching" indirectly how to read cards and from what I understand, she had given Person A a reading before they showed up and she "kinda forget to tell me that"...well...this wasn't known to me until after I did a reading for Person A about the same "question" and then afterwards, Person B went...oh hey..that's what I got.

I gave her this odd look...that basically looked like.."what?"

She then insisted since she read it in the book how "tarot got started" and explain to Person A about the "facts" that she read, and I tried to gently correct her that there isn't an exact known origin, and she basically waved me off...and then when Person B started to talk about spreads, "Oh I used a past/present/future spread so why is your's different." I thought to myself, "Bloody hickory, not really a good timingto ask me."

I tried to explain that it's not just past/present/future and the 3 cards are more symbolic of other queries sometimes...and I got another wave of the hand.

So I was stuck in this awkward position of having to explain to her...3 cards doesn't always mean just past/present/future, with Person A now looking VERY embarrass like..why did I consent to this...

To top it off....Oh it was just a lovely afternoon....I begin to really figure out why Person B got knight of swords...she is too excitable, doesn't really think before she acts and just doesn't get the whole picture.

I'm thinking Person A was definetely embarrassed...she was quick to leave, and I really picked up emotionally that she was not comfortable and just embarassed.

It's like suddenly Person B was "all knowing of Tarot" because of this one little book I lent her and wouldn't listen to the "warnings" I was giving her regarding readings.

I joked with Person B later and said we really need to set some time to do some readings so I can teach her and she was all chippy..."yep we do" and I'm thinking..."No, really, I need to teach you what Tarot is really about...it's like driving a car..there is a right way and a wrong way and you're doing it the "slap me silly" way..."

Meanwhile Person A was a quick..."BYE" and her minivan did everything but screeched out of the parking lot...I was surprised not to see smoke coming out of the exhaust from how fast she pulled out and left.

I felt a bit insulted so to speak that I was usually like a "test subject"...if she had done a reading for herself and Person A...don't call me up and come over for just that, it really bugged me she "already" did a reading and I guess was confirming theirs?? I had images of them sitting around in pj's with fluffy pink slippers and giggling who would kiss who..'Course I made a mistake talking about a reading that was done for my pregnancy and my eardrums nearly burst from the unanimous "do her" squeal they both emitted at the sound o of that (Person A was also pregnant...God help me)

I politely went..oh, I dont' have that spread with me...I need to uhm...email the midwife who did the spread for me, yes that's it, and when she sends me the spread she uses, I'll email you (referring to Person A) personally and we can do this one and one (particularly so Person B WON'T be present..one more squeal and I would have gone over...she's a great friend..just clueless about Tarot)

...Needless to say...they both gave me a strange look and I'm basically...whatever...I have kids of my own...I have dinner to still prepare...I don't do mass readings for the same person over and over or back to back IN THE SAME DAY.

It's like suddenly since it's known I do tarot..I'm the "It" girl....hello...I start getting referrals...I'm just going to start charging...LOL.

I knew if I talked about energy and needing to limit reading time...they would just have given me blank looks and I would have had to pray to the Poopy God that the baby would have a BIG, fat, stinky, poopy diaper so I could slink away...I think if I hadn't said I had to email the spread...I would have been stuck in that chair, blood pouring from my ears from the squeal and my eyeballs falling out....

Hmmm...guess I would have been ready for Halloween on the other hand...Oh hickory sticks..hope they dont' know I do readings on Halloween....

I felt like a show monkey and was curious...how does one handle situations like this...There's a limit when it goes from being a nice friend to just plain "I'm not your Tarot Reader for disposable use".

Netzach

Extraordinary! I wonder if she picks up medical text books in her doctor's office and second guesses his diagnosis. It sounds to me as though she was trying to be "superior", implying that she didn't really believe in any of this because "it's all written down here in the book" and so must just be a bit of a laugh.

A friend of mine had an expression - you can't take her anywhere . . . and, if you do, you have to go back and apologise.

Elven

Ah! Bladey!! Ummmm ... they were friends??? :eek:
You could have said the author of the book was one of your students LOL!!

'What do you do!' Possibly not read again for that person - seeing that they are so 'accomplished and knowledgable'?

Lessons come with the Tarot - something will come about which you have said in your reading to her - sit firm in the knowledge that you did a great reading and watch it unfold :)

Had one at the Tarot cafe the other day that said - "I have no question, Im here to see if you can pick up what I came for (which translates to 'I'm here to test you) - I read tarot myself" LOL!! Not a good thing to bait me like that when Im pre menstral! I threw out 30 cards + another 10 - in a backward CC spread with all the placements re-arranged :p - and she was lost as soon as I started! Interpret that miss 'Im a Tarot reader'!!!
I did a good reading and all was well - and I calmed down - she stopped trying to read the cards - and I had a great time with her but - sheeesh!!! some people!

Love the medical analogy netzach!!! Perfect!

Blessings Elven x

bladeraven

Lol....Netzach did make a great analogy with the medical txts, have to remember that...She kept trying to excuse herself as "that's just the way I am and I'm so logical minded" and I kept thinking..yeah yeah..blah blah...I even said..the creator of the Revelations tarot (that's what I use) was on this forum and "quoted" what was often talked about the tarot and both of them just didn't even bat an eye...

It's like hello people...LOL...I told hubby I felt like burying my face in a dirty diaper after that experience....LOL

She borrowed an old old book on understanding the Tarot and suddenly she's an "Expert"...I was so not impress....I told her....can't be analytical and she went...well..it's in this book so that's what I'm going to go by...*sigh* rolling my eyes...so I let her borrow one of my decks that doesn't have a BOOK to go with it and told her with a smile, "Enjoy".

This is one of the times I wish I had the marsailles to lend to her and see what she thought then....She didn't like my Thoth because "she couldn't look it up in a book"...

Sigh..okay...now I'm venting...LOL

It's just irritating that she figure this is how we learn to read Tarot...and even went...yeah yeah..I get it..you trust your intuition, whatever..what's in the book...Sigh...I think she's going to get tire soon....and I'm going to have to find a way to politely avoid giving readings...at first I was trying to be polite, but now it's a bit annoying...She even told me...well I have to have facts and learn from a book, if its not in a book then I won't accept it and all I could think is...honey, don't play with tarot then...

She recently sent me an email that is going to mysteriously disappear. She's now asking for me to start sending her "spreads because she doesn't know how to do this "free reading" thingy....

Aura Wolf

Wow. I must say I get a kick out of people like that. They don't SOUND like friends (at least the one). I feel for you bladeraven! Try not to let it get to you. You have confidence in your abilities and feel comfortable with the knowledge of your practices. That is what counts!

bladeraven

Thank you so much Star Spirit...I normally don't read "live" so when Person A found out...I was initially flatter...it was a case of a brief sigh of relief that oh...i don't have to worry about the explaining if I left them out and she came over...but it was very nerve wracking today to have that...I take that back...She asked for a reading for her spouse and within 5 minutes of emailing...I got this call and I thought it was her, but it was her spouse...I blew it off then but today was just...well...a major first for me...Lol

I think it would have been more "passable" if it happen during a party event...but it was just an "ordinary" visit that turned out to be less than ordinary and I think that's what really has me all thrown out from the whole experience...

Well that and the fact she did a prior reading for herself and Person B, and then came over under the pretense of just visiting.....and neglected to tell me that she had already done a self reading....

She's been great in other situations but it seems since finding out about me and the Tarot...I think she is assuming...hey free tarot readings....woohoo! or as my hubby puts it..."Oh gee Desperate Housewife has found a new toy."

Granted...she's of that "state" where it's seen as "fun" so I don't think she really understands how serious Tarot is to me....I know with my spouse...he avoids the subject all together but when he knows I've done a reading on us...then he asks, but besides that...he tries to switch the conversation to football....soccer or American football...anything to change the subject...LOL.

I feel REALLY bad about Person A...I've never saw anyone look as embarrassed and uncomfortable as she did;....

I guess I'm making excuses....but Person B...is pretty nice and great to get along on all other matters...but I told hubby...this is really a major pet peeve of mine is when people take Tarot so lightly...almost tempted to sic my Thoth on her...LOL

Kahlie

bladeraven said:
I guess I'm making excuses....but Person B...is pretty nice and great to get along on all other matters...but I told hubby...this is really a major pet peeve of mine is when people take Tarot so lightly...almost tempted to sic my Thoth on her...LOL

I would do that... and give her one of Aleister Crowley's books with it... and that she can come back for Readings once she understood it... Somehow I imagine she would quietly slink away after that ;) *hihi*

Talk about behaviour rules with her. Even if it's just fun for her - you take things more seriously. I don't do Readings for free anymore mostly exactly because this happens. People asking over and over and over - while not taking me serious about what I'm actually telling them. They are just looking for a 'thrill' - that's a waste of your precious time =)

Kahlie

bladeraven

Lol....good idea...she sent me another email "Excusing her behaviour due to the cards I lent her as being too basic and not as detailed as mine (I was using the Revelations Tarot) and if she could have another reading"

Yes...rolled my eyes at that email. Somehow they are now mysteriously "disappearing".

I remember there was a thread here on the forum regarding how to deal with friends when it's dragged out in a party enviroment...do you feel those guidelines are applicable for just day to day experience, particularly since Person B greeted my morning via email by telling me not only is she doing readings for everyone she knows now (God help those souls), but that she is telling them about me!!!

Yes I did spit milk all over the screen after reading that lovely last line...great...Kook is going to make me look like a kook...

Horace

Hi
maybe you could tell her you did a spread for yourself and you felt you were being told to lay off of tarot for a while and when you picked it up again you would let her know? Hh

huredriel

Simple ........ threaten to charge her!!! Bet she'll soon stop asking you for the readings ..... it's worked for me!