A Question of Ethics

GoddessArtemis

I recently had a tarot/psychic reading by a woman who really seemed to know what she was talking about; a lot of what she said was right on the money.

But in the midst of the reading about my question, she suddenly mentioned that in a few months, I will be experiencing an event that will be "drastic and threaten to destabilize" me. She said to make sure that, when the time comes, I make the right decision and the one that's best for me, not anyone else.

This, of course, got me worried. What the heck could it be? My mind went into a tailspin, wondering about all sorts of disasterous scenarios. I asked her if she could give me more info about this situation.

She said that "ethically" she cannot share that information, "in case it affects your free will"...but she mentioned that it had something to do with my career/finances and that it would eventually affect the rest of my life, and it would be a "drastic" change. But she couldn't share what it was. I asked again, "How bad is this if it's going to 'threaten to destabilize' me?" Her response was, "Don't worry about it now. When it happens, you'll know."

Now, I understand the concept of free will and all that, but how ethical is it to tell someone they will experience some drastic change, but then say they can't share the information? I'm sure you can imagine now I'm worried about things I don't even know about...

I'm not very familiar with the professional aspect of tarot/psychic readings, but I wanted to hear others' opinions on this.

GA

Gayla

Hi GA. I would get worried also...and want to know what she meant.

What card was she referring to when she told you this?

I read over a lot of tarot ethics developed by professional readers and they all talk about referring someone to a professional if it involves finance, illness, etc.

She said that "ethically" she cannot share that information, "in case it affects your free will"... Tarot is about possibilities and choices...right?

She could have at least laid a clarification card for you to give you some closure.

I did a reading for a gal a few weeks ago which had the 3 of swords turn up as the future/possibilities. I told her the meaning of the card, hurt, pain, sickness, heartache...and then I laid a clarification...4 of wands. I told her despite the hard times she will face, she will prevail spiritually. Later, just as I was about to leave, she came back and told me she had cancer.

So, in my minds eye...she should not have told you that without at least giving you some clarification...

WalesWoman

GA, maybe this is why the 7 Pents/Justice combo keeps coming up for you.

Just a thought that came to me after reading your thread in the Druidcraft study group.

I don't know what I think of this woman and her sense of ethics. If it's this important, it seems she could atleast have given you more of a clue instead of doing this "I know, but you can't" sort of thing. To me that is more unethical than any info she couldn't give... mostly to make her sound like she is in touch with something that you aren't.

gregory

I think that it is profoundly unethical to say something like that and refuse to say more. I wouldn't actually TRUST a reading from someone who did that; it sounds unpleasant. In fact, it almost sounds like those evil readers who then say that for an extra few bucks they WILL tell you, if you are prepared to take the risk....

Gayla

I think you are right Gregory. I went to visit th local psychic once and she would not let me look at the cards. When I tried to look she scolded me and told me to look at her...needless to say, I never went back.

lark

I read as a tarot /psychic and as WalesWoman above me can attest...when I get info for you it just spills out of my mouth untill it's done....

Sometimes in a reading I see things that maybe harsh or upsetting, but I will instantly know if I am to share it or not, and if I am to share it that means I go all the way with it, I give you every scrape of info. I pick up.
Usually there are opitions and different paths you can take in this info.
And we explore those with the cards.

If I'm not to share it I don't even bring it up because I think it is unethical to make someone worry if it isn't nessesary.
We do have control over somethings, but somethings also just happen to us because they were ment too.

What she did that I wouldn't do is she gave you half of the picture and then left you to worry and stew about the rest of it, sending you away with no feeling of hope or I'm guessing any real feeling of having "free will"...now there is something looming in your future that is going to "happen to you."

I don't like that way of reading at all. :(

Milfoil

Sounds like your tarot reader wants you to come back in a few months time to hear a little more . . . sigh!

zannamarie

GoddessArtemis said:
I'm sure you can imagine now I'm worried about things I don't even know about...
Why are you presuming it will be something "bad"? I guess I'm the lone person on the other side of the fence on this but a "threat" of something doesn't mean disaster to me.

I think the universe feels it's in your best interest to have a little heads up on this situation. Not to sit and worry about it but to take some preparatory actions. Have you ever thought about what you would do if you were offered a better paying job out of state? if you won the lottery? (that has destabilized a LOT of people) Now the event might also be something you consider "bad" such as losing your job but you now know something will happen that could affect your finances. Review your finance/career situation and take a look at what might destabilize it.

That fact that she said not to worry about it (and I've had readers tell me things like that) indicates to me that it is probably something you can handle. And that your current state of worry is bigger than it needs to be regarding this.

gregory

It makes no difference whether it is good or bad; it is the "secrecy" and the "shan't tell you" aspect that seems to me unethical.

memries

In my opinion it was a power trip on her part. I would totally ingnore her. This was a flaw in her character and in her reading ability. She just had to be better than you, not an equal, and some people are just this way. You were paying her, she was not paying you. The fact that she would try to put that thought in your mind was disgusting and then to leave you high and dry. Think about it, who needs it, not you.