The right rising sign?

MareSaturni

Hi everyone.

My mother used to do astrology charts and she told me my ascendant is Sagittarius, just like my sun sign. However, a while ago, i tried to do my own chart using those sites that offer free astrology stuff (my plan was to use myself as a guinea pig to start learning astrology). But some sites said my ascendant was Sagittarius, and others said it was Capricorn.

I found the chart mom did to me many years ago and found out my ascendant was on the cusp of Sagittarius and Capricorn.

So which is my ascendent? Both? What does it mean to have a sun sign or an ascendant on a cusp?
And does it make any difference? I feel it does, but then again i'm a beginner and i need the opinion of the people who know more than i.

Thanks in advance :D

~Yuko

sweet_intuition

Hello There miss_yuko,

Well, before I begin to answer your question, allow me to give you what "The Rising Sign/Ascendant" means (atleast to me).

The Ascendant-the degree of the ecliptic rising over the eastern horizon at the moment of birth - is the starting point of an astrological chart. It indicated the foundation of the personality, and shows how a subject adapts to his or her environment. The effect of the Ascendant has been compared to that of dawn - the approaching light that begins to illuminate the complexities of a human landscape. Just as one's birthday represents and individual "New Year's Day", so the Ascendant represents the start of that day.

The Ascendant shows us as we really are, for the traits suggested by the Ascendant emerge only when one really knows the person concerned. Some astrologers argue that it is the characteristics of the Ascendant that are immediately noticeable. But to take a superficial example, A Sun Sign Leo woman with a Sagittarius Ascendant us far more likely to go to the supermarket in her smartest winter coat (Leo Image) than to a formal occasion dressed very casually (Sagittarius motivation and personality trait). If Sag were the sun sign and Leo the rising, the image would be causal, but those who knew the person well would probably be aware that, inspite of an excellent sense of humor and an informal approach, she could be autocratic and bossy (Leo Rising).

Now to answer your queries

My mother used to do astrology charts and she told me my ascendant is Sagittarius, just like my sun sign. However, a while ago, i tried to do my own chart using those sites that offer free astrology stuff (my plan was to use myself as a guinea pig to start learning astrology). But some sites said my ascendant was Sagittarius, and others said it was Capricorn.

Well, there are many different kinds of astrological practices (Vedic, Tropical/Western, Chinese, Mayan..etc etc) Some use sidereal signs (Based on the fixed constellations), some use Tropical Signs (Based on the ecliptic circle that surrounds the earth). So I would suggest It's best to ask your mother what system she used, and then compare with the website as to which system they use.

For site IMO for creating accurate charts (It's very important to know the exact time of birth because the ascending degree changes every 4 minutes, and the ascendant remains in one sign for roughly 2 hours daily) is www.astro.com . It offers a variety of choices regarding house systems and even a choice between creating tropical and sidereal horoscopes.

What does it mean to have a sun sign or an ascendant on a cusp?
And does it make any difference? I feel it does, but then again i'm a beginner and i need the opinion of the people who know more than i.

Well personally, I feel the idea of "cusps" (I.e. when a planet is along a 5 degree borderline between two signs) is not really valid. With all the precise mathematical calculations that take place in an astrological chart, it's a bit immature to consider that a planet contains the characteristics of 2 signs just because it comes on a cusp. Example, Someone born on the 20th of April claims that he's born on the cusp of Aries and Taurus, hence feels he possesses both qualities of Aries and Taurus is sheer rubbish. Depending upon the degree of the sun, even if it is in 27 degrees of Aries (30 degrees to each sign) the man's sun has nothing to do with taurus. If he feels he has taurean qualities, it's only because that the sign of taurus is either his ascendant, or moon sign, or that he has numerous planets in that sign that are powerful, hence creating the impression of Taurean qualities. But his sun shall be Aries.

I hope this has been helpful. If you wish to know anything more or wish to discuss anything at all.. do let me know... I'll be happy to help

:)

Voron

Cusps, Ascendants, Midheavens

Actually, there are valid arguments for the inclusion of cusps, but not what many people think. The Sun and the Moon are each roughly 30 arcminutes (1/2 a degree) wide. The SUn moves approximately 1 degree a day, the Moon, an average of about a degree every 2 hours (but it varies). So there exists a roughly 12 hour period where the Sun is *physically* straddling the imaginary line between the signs, and about an hour when the Moon is physically between two signs. (From about 29 deg 45' in one sign to about 00 deg 15' in the other.)

Now, we could get all technical, and use trigonometry and calculate what percentage of the disc of the Sun or Moon is in each sign, and we would find that the percentage is very low unless one is very clode to the dividing line. I think this is valid, as it follows visual symbolic logic ("as above, so below"), but is kindof overkill.

Now there's one school of thought that thinks that when the mid-point of the Luminary in question crosses the line there's a "quantum leap" to the next signs energy -- the other sde would say it's a gradual shifting of energies when the planet is physically in both signs. In the situations I've seen, for clients who are *very* close to the border where I have to go with my observations -- that cusps are valid in rare cases. But only for times when the planet/luminary is in both signs.

For the other planets, their apparent visible disk is smaller that the valid cusp-time in question is very rare indeed, but still can happen, and can be calculated. For example, Jupiter is currently 31.3 arcseconds wide, and it travels that distance currently in about 57 or 58 minutes. Mind you, Jupiter changes signs only once a year (except for retrograde motion on a cusp).

to calculate apparent disk:
http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/diskmap.html

ALso, I find the Ascendant is frequently readily apparent, but I find that in public situations (like a supermarket) one must look to the Midheaven -- that is how we are seen from afar to stranger and society. The Ascendant is our immediate personality, and the Sun-sign is "who we are" inside -- our unconscious assumptions about life.

I analyze things. (Virgo) but I come across intensely, and look like a goth (Scorpio) but in public I have this eclectic showy rock-star looking quality, and I seem way happier than I am. (Leo midheaven.)

Gemini Rising

I personally do not know anybody who has their sun sitting on the ascendant, but my ascendant is literally 29 degrees of Gemini, sun in Libra (completely) and Moon in Leo (completely). If I was born literally minutes later, I would be Cancer Rising, and considering the fact not all clocks are 100% accurate, it may very well be.

I can honestly say I relate to both Cancer Rising and Gemini Rising equally, although all astrology programs I've used say 29' Gemini. I have no planets in either sign, though.

I agree that the Ascendant is the first thing people see in you, when you're first meeting people, in public, whatever...like the "mask" that you weark, and that its aspects to your sun and moon are important. For example, if you're an outgoing Leo by Sun sign, but you have shy and quiet Pisces Rising, that can be quite a contradiction when you're normally outgoing and gregarious but when you first meet people you're suddenly quiet.

I can relate to Gemini Rising when I first meet people--I tend to be charming and witty and always introduce myself with some kind of smart remark. Also, I have a lightning fast mind that can work miles a second, just like Gemini. I also agree with Voron in that the Midheaven is the most public, mine being in 4 degrees of Pisces--people often first think I'm shy and quiet when they haven't spoken a word to me before.

The thing that confuses me is how much I relate to Cancer when I don't have a single planet in the sign. I don't have a loony sense of humor, and I think my back-and-forth Libran nature is to blame for sudden moodiness, but I'm extremely emotional and empathetic for having only Pluto in a water sign. I know Librans are natural empaths, but I can be quite a mother hen, especially for a guy. I'm extremely loyal and devoted to my home and mother and have a pretty good memory (which could just be air signs), but I still feel like I can relate a lot to emotional Cancer. Is it because Cancer pretty much dominates my first house? I'm pretty inexperienced and I'm a typically indecisive Libra, so I'm not too sure--any help would be greatly appreciated!

~Nicky

MareSaturni

Wow, thank for all the answers! All very complete and...full of real-life examples! Which helps me a lot!

Nicky, my mother says she's sure my ascendant is Sagittarius, and i believe most of people would agree. I'm veyr Sagittarius, except that i don't like doing exercises :p. But when i saw that i could be Capricorn Rising well...i didn't find that all impossible. Some things seemed to fit...just like some Sagittarius Rising traits seems to fit as well. And i was wondering if that's possible, to feel like you have (more or less) two acendants, or if you have to pick one and stick with it.

I'll download one of two astrology softwares and analyze my own Astral Chart again. By they way Nicky, i was very curious about yours =)

Then i'll post what i find out here, later.

~YUKO

Gemini Rising

Sorry, here's my chart!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/una_anima/natalchart.jpg

If I DID have to choose one, I suppose I could relate more to Gemini Rising than Cancer Rising...if the ascendant is the "mask" you wear, at least. When first meeting people, I'm usually witty and charming at first, talking about everything under the sun.

As for Voron's point that people born on cusps could possibly have parts of both signs, I would have to agree. One of my friends is also into astrology and finally got out of her friend what his natal information was, and according to her, his sun is about 0 degrees Sagittatius.

I know him personally, and I have to say he can relate to both signs. He's as good natured and blunt as a Sagittarius, but as mysterious and vengeful as a Scorpio. Pretty even, I'd say...but because of his suspiciousness, I can't get his natal information out of him.

It's odd...I know lots of Scorpions, and not a single one of them will let up their natal information! Hmph.

MareSaturni

Gemini Rising said:
Sorry, here's my chart!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/una_anima/natalchart.jpg

If I DID have to choose one, I suppose I could relate more to Gemini Rising than Cancer Rising...if the ascendant is the "mask" you wear, at least. When first meeting people, I'm usually witty and charming at first, talking about everything under the sun.

Thank you for you natal chart!!! And yes, what ou said definitely makes sense.
I found out the problem with my rising sign: daylight saving period. My mother used 7:22 am when she made my chart, but i was born during a daylight saving time. So she should have used 6:22. So i'm Sagitarius and i have a Sagittarius Rising.

Scary.

Gemini Rising said:
It's odd...I know lots of Scorpions, and not a single one of them will let up their natal information! Hmph.

That's Scorpio for you :D :D :D

~YUKO

Gemini Rising

Even though Gemini may be the "mask" that I wear around people, there's one odd thing about me people first notice...

Every time people see me for the first time that day, unless they've gotten to know me, they always ask what's wrong!

It's quite odd, really. I'll just be sitting there in class, and the kid next to me will look at me and say "Aww, you look so sad!" Meanwhile, everyone who has really gotten to know me knows I'm constantly in a cheery, annoyingly perky mood (unless I'm having an off day, in which case you don't want to be within a ten foot radius of me if you want to keep all your limbs). So I don't smile every waking moment of the day! I suppose I just have an odd expression of sadness when I don't have my Venusian smile on my face?

Even though it's insignificant, it does get quite annoying after a while...lol

And you know what's even weirder? Almost every single person I know was born under a full moon with Sagittarius Rising. It's really an odd coincidence. All my closest friends have Sag. Rising, and I'm waiting for somebody to have it conjunt the Galactic Center. It isn't even because I'm naturally attracted to Sag. because it's on my 7th house, it's just an odd coincidence! And the few people I do know who don't have Sag. Rising have an Air Sign rising. I've yet to meet someone with an Earth Sign Rising, and only my dad and my brother have water signs rising, at least the people whose charts I've cast, and I've gotten that out of most of my friends...except those darned Scorpions! =P

paradoxx

My take on rising signs, as this is the most recent post dealing with such a topic, is that we very well could divide the zodiac signs in half, and then associate the second and first halves of the zodiac signs as a perosnality trait symbol.

This means that Taurus and Gemini work together, gemini and cancer exist along the summer solstice.